• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bulls

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wamu grasping at straws....

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.....Picking him apart to the point to talking about his declining spg?

0.2, that's a huge decline!!!!

His numbers declined because James came and his mpg declined by 4 a game......there's your answer for his numbers dropping.....plus James being there.

My major issue w/ Lonzo is his FT%. It's beyond lousy for a PG. But you obviously see things differently.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My major issue w/ Lonzo is his FT%. It's beyond lousy for a PG. But you obviously see things differently.

How often does he get to improve his FT% when attempting 1.2 per game? He was getting more aggressive offensively in the few games before his injury, so maybe we see a marked increase in attempts this season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often does he get to improve his FT% when attempting 1.2 per game? He was getting more aggressive offensively in the few games before his injury, so maybe we see a marked increase in attempts this season.

Maybe he should have spent more time last off season working on his FT shooting? What's odd is it seems the only people that have an issue w/ what I've said about Lonzo using his own stats (not making stuff up) are Lakers fans.

Here are some players over the last 2 years that have a better FT % than your PG. Gonna start w/ mentioning Lonzo's % again- .451 & .417

DeAndre Jordan- .682 & .773
Tristan Thompson- .544 & .642
Hassan Whiteside- .703 & .449
Andre Drummond- .605 & .590

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he should have spent more time last off season working on his FT shooting? What's odd is it seems the only people that have an issue w/ what I've said about Lonzo using his own stats (not making stuff up) are Lakers fans.

Here are some players over the last 2 years that have a better FT % than your PG. Gonna start w/ mentioning Lonzo's % again- .451 & .417

And how do you know he doesn't spend time practicing his FT shooting?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jordan tries 4 FT per game, Thompson tries 3, Whiteside 3.7, and Drummond 4.8. Ball attempts 1.2. At most, Ball's poor percentage at his usage could cost them 1 pt per game. Even at their improved percentages, Jordan and Thompson are risking a similar point total, while Whiteside and Drummond risk more.

Do you not see the limited downside here? Worrying about a shot percentage on a shot the player rarely takes is nitpicking. Are you worried about how Drummond's 3pt % affects his game? It's NOT his game. The only real downside is that it may limit Ball's aggressiveness down the stretch of a close game. For that matter, it needs to improve, and I have to believe with more attempts, it WILL improve.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And they all weren't in their 2nd season in NBA either....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan tries 4 FT per game, Thompson tries 3, Whiteside 3.7, and Drummond 4.8. Ball attempts 1.2. At most, Ball's poor percentage at his usage could cost them 1 pt per game. Even at their improved percentages, Jordan and Thompson are risking a similar point total, while Whiteside and Drummond risk more.

Do you not see the limited downside here? Worrying about a shot percentage on a shot the player rarely takes is nitpicking. Are you worried about how Drummond's 3pt % affects his game? It's NOT his game. The only real downside is that it may limit Ball's aggressiveness down the stretch of a close game. For that matter, it needs to improve, and I have to believe with more attempts, it WILL improve.
Exactly.

Wamu isn't looking that deep into it.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how do you know he doesn't spend time practicing his FT shooting?

:pound:

His own FT #'s say it. They got worse from his rookie year to this year. Or are his career #'s on sports-ref.com incorrect?

Now don't you think if he had put enough time in his FT shooting improvement would have been made instead of his #'s getting worse?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm gonna say this 1 more time. He's a PG. His FT% is lousy. And it got worse from his rookie year to this year.

I listed 4 frontcourt players w/ better FT % than Lonzo. And you see no problem w/ that? We simply don't agree on this topic, which is fine.

We can go back & forth all day. But I will continue to say that for a PG his FT % should be of some concern.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

His own FT #'s say it. They got worse from his rookie year to this year. Or are his career #'s on sports-ref.com incorrect?

Now don't you think if he had put enough time in his FT shooting improvement would have been made instead of his #'s getting worse?
He improved his FG % and 3% so he could improve his FT % with more in game attempts.....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really just a matter of getting more attempts in game action....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If somebody were making 50-60% of treys does that make them a great outside shooter?

No obviously.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He improved his FG % and 3% so he could improve his FT % with more in game attempts.....

Maybe he just isn't a good FT shooter to begin with? I can't say it enough times how important it is to me for a PG (hell even a SG) to be a solid FT shooter. He wasn't that good of a FT shooter his 1 year @ UCLA (.673).

I don't want you to think I'm picking on Lonzo because he's a Laker. I'm not. If he played for any other team (especially the Celtics) I'd have the same concerns.

And I'm not sure his FT shooting will improve w/ simply more attempts. He needs more practice (no AI reference here!) to really get better. But there's no reason he can't work on that aspect of his game (and others) before next season tips off.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he just isn't a good FT shooter to begin with? I can't say it enough times how important it is to me for a PG (hell even a SG) to be a solid FT shooter. He wasn't that good of a FT shooter his 1 year @ UCLA (.673).

I don't want you to think I'm picking on Lonzo because he's a Laker. I'm not. If he played for any other team (especially the Celtics) I'd have the same concerns.

And I'm not sure his FT shooting will improve w/ simply more attempts. He needs more practice (no AI reference here!) to really get better. But there's no reason he can't work on that aspect of his game (and others) before next season tips off.

If he was shooting 67.3% and attempting 1.2 per game, what net difference is there? USAGE USAGE USAGE. He definitely practices FTs, as EVERYONE does. Realistically, he's going to the line every other game on average (unless an and-one situation).

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huge falloff from 67% to 42% and not much difference in FT's.....if any, between college and NBA.

I'm not saying he's gonna be great, but with time he can improve.....like he improved his FG and 3% in his 2nd season.

Bottom line, 1.21 FTA's isn't a huge sample size to go off. If he was averaging 3-5 FTA's....I'd totally agree with you.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was shooting 67.3% and attempting 1.2 per game, what net difference is there? USAGE USAGE USAGE. He definitely practices FTs, as EVERYONE does. Realistically, he's going to the line every other game on average (unless an and-one situation).

We'll just have to wait & see. Let's see if he can hit 70% of his FT's next year. And he has an NBA game. But I would still be leery of him on my team as the starting PG. But that's just me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say this 1 more time. He's a PG. His FT% is lousy. And it got worse from his rookie year to this year.

I listed 4 frontcourt players w/ better FT % than Lonzo. And you see no problem w/ that? We simply don't agree on this topic, which is fine.

We can go back & forth all day. But I will continue to say that for a PG his FT % should be of some concern.

Here's the thing, you are right and so is @shopson67.

Yes, Lonzo's free throw shooting is terrible. It's not just terrible for a point guard, it's terrible for any position. It's going to need to improve. I don't think anyone denies that.

However, shopson is right in that, so far, it doesn't have much effect on the Lakers ability to win a game, because with him only averaging 1 free throw per game, it's only costing the Lakers about a point a game.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If somebody were making 50-60% of treys does that make them a great outside shooter?

No obviously.

On just 1.2 attempts.