• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Black Falcon?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has had a few nice ones. I was a big fan of his other dunk.
[YOUTUBE]O1r6xtta-7g[/YOUTUBE]

And I still can't believe Barnes was able to give himself a nickname that stuck though. :lame:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Bucks' one better. Did you hear that thing? It sounded like a gunshot exploded.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love what Barnes is becoming. I love the fact that he's not relying on jumpers, he's become a very good player taking the ball to the rim, which was something he wasn't very good at with UNC.

He took off on somebody again today vs the Raptors, scared the shit out of me when he was fouled and grabbed his leg, he seems alright though ( thank goodness).

He also seems to be becoming a very good defender as well, I agree with TT, this kid has a chance to be special.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Vescey Warriors turned down trading Barnes/Jack/ and AB or RJ for Gay. Front office was split on the decision.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Vescey Warriors turned down trading Barnes/Jack/ and AB or RJ for Gay. Front office was split on the decision.

It would have been nice to be out from under RJ or AB's contract, but I'm glad they didn't make the move. In two years, HB will be better than Gay at the aspects of the game that the Dubs need most.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would have been better short term, but both Beans and Jeff will have value as expiring. Barnes has a chance to be better than Gay, and we don't really need another scorer. Barnes seems to be a better defender as well.

I'm glad the FO is active, though.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have hurt us this year not having Jack since Curry is a gimp.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's finall starting to play better since Lee went down. Almost looks like a player.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's finall starting to play better since Lee went down. Almost looks like a player.

Huh? This guys is a player, and has been lights out for the Dubbs. While there's still room for improvement for his perimeter game, he has been making some key shots and of course, his rebounding and defense on smaller guards has been key. I wish the Dubbs would run more screens/alley oop dunks for him, because I really think Barnes possesses a mismatch nightmare for Denver with his combination of size (6'8") and speed.

It'll be interesting to see how Coach Jackson figures out how to play Barnes and Rush together next season, as both are pretty good defensive athletes as far as swing players are concerned.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? This guys is a player, and has been lights out for the Dubbs. While there's still room for improvement for his perimeter game, he has been making some key shots and of course, his rebounding and defense on smaller guards has been key. I wish the Dubbs would run more screens/alley oop dunks for him, because I really think Barnes possesses a mismatch nightmare for Denver with his combination of size (6'8") and speed.

It'll be interesting to see how Coach Jackson figures out how to play Barnes and Rush together next season, as both are pretty good defensive athletes as far as swing players are concerned.

Whaat! He disappears almost nightly. Now that Dead Weight David Lee is out of the way he has come on strong. "Lights out for the Warriors" LOL!

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whaat! He disappears almost nightly. Now that Dead Weight David Lee is out of the way he has come on strong. "Lights out for the Warriors" LOL!

Am I dreaming or am I witnessing hypocrisy at its finest? You said the Dubbs had no chance with Lee out and now you're calling him Dead Weight David?

And to answer your statement, sure, Barnes does disappear if I guess that means scoring 22 pts in game 2 and 19 pts in game 3 and serving as the team's much needed tertiary scorer to replace the 18 PPG that you're missing with Lee.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I dreaming or am I witnessing hypocrisy at its finest? You said the Dubbs had no chance with Lee out and now you're calling him Dead Weight David?

And to answer your statement, sure, Barnes does disappear if I guess that means scoring 22 pts in game 2 and 19 pts in game 3 and serving as the team's much needed tertiary scorer to replace the 18 PPG that you're missing with Lee.

Funny; I'm looking right at my OP in this thread and it clearly reads the Dubs would take one of two in Denver and then win game three at home which is exactly what happened.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yu are making my point for me about Dead Weight David being out of his way and consequently he plays better. Geez, you waked right into that one........or was that just your back-handed way of agreeing with me?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barnes has been a bit hit or miss offensively this series, but the great part is he hasn't been needed to take over any game. The thing I've been most impressed by is his defense. He's been all over the place and done a great job thus far.

The more I watch him, I can't help but picture a young Richard Jefferson. He was a very underrated athlete and had a nice midrange game. Barnes has the potential to surpass him if he continues to work on his outside shooting and more importantly his post game.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes has been a bit hit or miss offensively this series, but the great part is he hasn't been needed to take over any game. The thing I've been most impressed by is his defense. He's been all over the place and done a great job thus far.

The more I watch him, I can't help but picture a young Richard Jefferson. He was a very underrated athlete and had a nice midrange game. Barnes has the potential to surpass him if he continues to work on his outside shooting and more importantly his post game.

I think he's a cross between RJ and Pierce. I really don't want to draw comparisons with Paul Pierce, but there are segments of Barnes' game where similarities are inevitable.

However, Barnes is the better athlete among the 3 players. Where he needs to improve his game is his shooting as you mentioned. His shot sometimes looks too strong at times but that's something he can work on by taking hundreds of shots in the gym. Jason Kidd wasn't a prolific shooter coming out of Cal but his dedication on improving his 3 point range has vaulted him into the top 5 all time in three's made. His drive to the basket is better than average but he can definitely improve his ball handling skills.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's a cross between RJ and Pierce. I really don't want to draw comparisons with Paul Pierce, but there are segments of Barnes' game where similarities are inevitable.

However, Barnes is the better athlete among the 3 players. Where he needs to improve his game is his shooting as you mentioned. His shot sometimes looks too strong at times but that's something he can work on by taking hundreds of shots in the gym. Jason Kidd wasn't a prolific shooter coming out of Cal but his dedication on improving his 3 point range has vaulted him into the top 5 all time in three's made. His drive to the basket is better than average but he can definitely improve his ball handling skills.

Pierce is a much, much better shooter than Barnes is.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierce is a much, much better shooter than Barnes is.

You're comparing Paul Pierce and the totality of his work to Barnes in just one year of playing.

And to be quite frank, if you look at statistics they aren't that much different.

COLLEGE STATS:
Paul Pierce:
Paul Pierce Stats - Kansas Jayhawks - College Basketball

Harrison Barnes:
Harrison Barnes Stats - North Carolina Tar Heels - College Basketball

There's a 7% difference in shooting % between Pierce and Barnes, but their FT and 3PT percentages are similar.

NBA Stats:

Year Team G Min FGM FGA Pct 3PM 3PA Pct FTM FTA Pct
Paul Pierce
1998-99 BOS 48 1632 284 647 43.9 84 204 41.2 139 195 71.3

Harrison Barnes
2012-13 GS 81 2058 276 628 43.9 52 145 35.9 144 190 75.8

Their rookie seasons juxtaposed. With the exception of the ~5 percent difference in 3 point shooting, they're quite similar during their rookie seasons.

Throughout his career, Paul Pierce is a 44.7 % shooter from the floor with a 37% accuracy in 3's. Barnes is a 43.9 % shooter from the floor and a 35.9 % shooter from behind the arc. So you're comment of Pierce being a MUCH, MUCH better shooter than Barnes isn't quite accurate.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're comparing Paul Pierce and the totality of his work to Barnes in just one year of playing.

And to be quite frank, if you look at statistics they aren't that much different.

COLLEGE STATS:
Paul Pierce:
Paul Pierce Stats - Kansas Jayhawks - College Basketball

Harrison Barnes:
Harrison Barnes Stats - North Carolina Tar Heels - College Basketball

There's a 7% difference in shooting % between Pierce and Barnes, but their FT and 3PT percentages are similar.

NBA Stats:

Year Team G Min FGM FGA Pct 3PM 3PA Pct FTM FTA Pct
Paul Pierce
1998-99 BOS 48 1632 284 647 43.9 84 204 41.2 139 195 71.3

Harrison Barnes
2012-13 GS 81 2058 276 628 43.9 52 145 35.9 144 190 75.8

Their rookie seasons juxtaposed. With the exception of the ~5 percent difference in 3 point shooting, they're quite similar during their rookie seasons.

Throughout his career, Paul Pierce is a 44.7 % shooter from the floor with a 37% accuracy in 3's. Barnes is a 43.9 % shooter from the floor and a 35.9 % shooter from behind the arc. So you're comment of Pierce being a MUCH, MUCH better shooter than Barnes isn't quite accurate.

Stats alone I can see the comparisons, however just watching their games on the court I don't quite see the Pierce comparisons. When I watch Barnes play, I envision him of more of a slasher rather than a player that can iso a defender. What I'm really hoping for in the off season is for him to work on his handle, mid-range shot and post game. With the amount of shooters we have on this team, the drive and kick is going to be coming out to him more frequently. When his defender is coming at him on the run, he should be able to take any of them off the dribble to the rim. He's already a fantastic finisher and the more opportunities he gets to the bucket the bigger his role will be next year.