• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly we don't know if a ooc of Colorado, Hawaii and UCF is good, bad, great or average. Coming in to this year a ooc of Georgia Tech, Arkansas and USC would have looked amazing. Halfway into the year it's just average. Hell Colorado could be top 10 next year. Who knows?

Kinda my point when ericd keeps using this year's mid-season rankings in his arguement. So like I said, if he wants to use Sagarin or Massey or whatever rankings, then we should wait for not only the end of this season, so see what Clemson's strength of schedule looks like but also wait for the end of the 2016 season for Michigan's.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know........wait until the end of the season, the 2016 season. Because hell, we are still mid season this year, those rankings are guaranteed to change. So if you want to bookmark this thread, and table the conversation until we have actual numbers, then I am more than happy to do that.
Until then we have to base predictions on more year to year historical trends. Like how Wisconsin has preformed the last 5 years. Or the good streak MSU has been on. Which again......you are comparing the OOC slate of a school with a 9 game slate in a tougher conference to a one with an 8 game slate in a weaker conference. You are comparing apples and oranges my friend. Because this is more than Clemson's OOC schedule, but the strength of their WHOLE schedule. Which again, given the relative weakness of the ACC, it would behoove them to have a stronger OOC schedule than someone in the SEC or Big Ten would have because a Michigan or an Alabama can lean on their conference games strengthen their schedule, a Clemson does not have that luxury when the only other quality school in the conference is FSU. Seriously, you think Clemson's beating up on a 2-5 Georgia Tech or a 3-4 Boston College looks good?

How is an OOC of Colorado, Hawaii, and UCF terrible? The worst of the bunch is UH, and I would stack them up against anyone in the Sun Belt. UCF has had been decent the past couple of seasons. And historically Colorado isn't a bad school, it wasn't only a couple of decades ago they were a power in the then Big Eight.

Which again........Michigan can afford a slightly weaker OOC because they are going to play a 9 game conference schedule in the Big Ten. Which sorry if this rubs you the wrong way, is a tougher conference than the ACC. I'll give credit to Clemson for their series with South Carolina. Like I said before, that's one of the games they depends on for resume boosting, but this year they are having a bit of a down year.

Fair enough. And I realize I'm comparing a schedule with 4 OOC games to 3 isn't the same, which is why I did the whole schedule for Clemson this year and compared it to Michigan next year using a computer model, at this moment the difference is about as minimal as you can get. And as I've said before, Michigan's in conference schedule, at the moment is better than Clemson's in conference schedule. However, when you factor in just how terrible Michigan's OOC schedule is, the numbers aren't that far apart. Going by the ranking of each team the average opponent Michigan faces next year is 63.25 and the average opponent Clemson faces next year is 67.5. Again, I'm getting those current numbers from Massey. So sure Michigan has to play Wisconsin, OSU and MSU next year, but they also have to face the three awful OOC games, along with Illinois, Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana. That's SEVEN awful opponents.

The B1G is better than the ACC, no disagreement there.
Clemson's OOC for 2015 is WAY better than Michigan's OOC for 2016.
Because of that, their respective schedules, as the teams currently stand, aren't that far apart.

And I will caveat that by saying we don't know how these teams will be in 2016, but based on current performance, we have a pretty good indication Colorado, UCF and Hawaii are going to be awful.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda my point when ericd keeps using this year's mid-season rankings in his arguement. So like I said, if he wants to use Sagarin or Massey or whatever rankings, then we should wait for not only the end of this season, so see what Clemson's strength of schedule looks like but also wait for the end of the 2016 season for Michigan's.

And that's fine with me. The only problem I had with you is how dismissive you are of Clemson's schedule this year. And I can only go on the numbers we currently have. I'm not spinning it in any way, just thought it was the most fair thing to do.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Big 10 thread. Create a thread called The ACC Thread with an asterisk.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any team
any time
any place
any poster
no borders
rah rah rah
Cheerleaders.jpg

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

shameless pride, DEPT...

stupid simple idea. immensely profitable (think penny stocks) and no competing products. licensing nightmare, but fabulous great fun developing the concept and travelling throughout the B1G and beyond "promoting." idea outgrew desire to further nurture (had 4 B1G licenses - wanted 120 more NCAAs; plus NFL, MLB, NHL, etc...bigger fish bought me off in 2012.)

INDIANA TAJ.jpg IOWA Machu Picchu.jpg Michigan FORUM.jpg MSU 2-White Death Valley.jpg
b2b postcards

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-2 Northwestern @ 3-4 Nebraska noon/esn2
5-2 Penn State @ 2-4 Maryland 330p/espn
4-3 Indiana @ 7-0 #7 Michigan State 330p/ABC
5-2 Wisconsin @ 4-2 Illinois 330p
7-0 #1 Ohio State @ 3-3 Rutgers 8p/ABC

Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue do not play.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's fine with me. The only problem I had with you is how dismissive you are of Clemson's schedule this year. And I can only go on the numbers we currently have. I'm not spinning it in any way, just thought it was the most fair thing to do.

Dismissive is way too strong a word. I'm just saying that off the possible playoff contenders, it is one of the weaker. While Michigan's it is perhaps the strongest.

And I'm not saying you are trying to spin anything with using the current rankings, I'm just saying that while well-meaning, that analysis is worthless.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. And I realize I'm comparing a schedule with 4 OOC games to 3 isn't the same, which is why I did the whole schedule for Clemson this year and compared it to Michigan next year using a computer model, at this moment the difference is about as minimal as you can get. And as I've said before, Michigan's in conference schedule, at the moment is better than Clemson's in conference schedule. However, when you factor in just how terrible Michigan's OOC schedule is, the numbers aren't that far apart. Going by the ranking of each team the average opponent Michigan faces next year is 63.25 and the average opponent Clemson faces next year is 67.5. Again, I'm getting those current numbers from Massey. So sure Michigan has to play Wisconsin, OSU and MSU next year, but they also have to face the three awful OOC games, along with Illinois, Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana. That's SEVEN awful opponents.

The B1G is better than the ACC, no disagreement there.
Clemson's OOC for 2015 is WAY better than Michigan's OOC for 2016.
Because of that, their respective schedules, as the teams currently stand, aren't that far apart.

And I will caveat that by saying we don't know how these teams will be in 2016, but based on current performance, we have a pretty good indication Colorado, UCF and Hawaii are going to be awful.

Colorado? Yeah probably. But given their history there is a chance they could turn the corner at some point.
UCF? Was 9-4 last year and was 12-1 in 2013 (beating Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl). How is that awful?
Hawaii? They can be "good," well good enough for a Group of 5 conference. Certainly on par with pretty much everyone in the Sun Belt.

So the only teams going into the season I would say Clemson had a stronger level of opponents would have been Notre Dame and South Carolina. Notre Dame certainly still is, but this year, South Carolina...........not so much.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado? Yeah probably. But given their history there is a chance they could turn the corner at some point.
UCF? Was 9-4 last year and was 12-1 in 2013 (beating Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl). How is that awful?
Hawaii? They can be "good," well good enough for a Group of 5 conference. Certainly on par with pretty much everyone in the Sun Belt.

So the only teams going into the season I would say Clemson had a stronger level of opponents would have been Notre Dame and South Carolina. Notre Dame certainly still is, but this year, South Carolina...........not so much.

UCF is 0-7. They suck. Yeah they were good two years ago. But they are clearly not that type of team anymore. Hawaii and Colorado have been bad for a while now.

Clemson, South Carolina and Appalachian State are all better than Colorado, Hawaii and UCF.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G should have 3 teams in the Top 10 of the AP Poll tomorrow. Utah is down by 25 halfway through the 4th quarter and FSU lost to GT. That should be enough to bump Iowa up into the top 10 (unless they move Oklahoma State, who beat KU, above Florida and Iowa).

Another week and there is potential for 4 B1G teams in the Top 10.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G should have 3 teams in the Top 10 of the AP Poll tomorrow. Utah is down by 25 halfway through the 4th quarter and FSU lost to GT. That should be enough to bump Iowa up into the top 10 (unless they move Oklahoma State, who beat KU, above Florida and Iowa).
I doubt the bounce Utah out of the top ten.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the bounce Utah out of the top ten.

If Utah was close at all, I could understand, but they are getting destroyed right now. I can see Utah staying above Michigan though, but there have been big drops from Top 5 teams losing. FSU will be below Michigan IMO.

I wonder if Oklahoma will jump Michigan. Oklahoma has a few blowouts and a better record than Michigan.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings

1) Ohio State (8-0, 4-0) - Last Week: 1 - Ohio State has outscored their B1G opponents 170-72. That is the best point differential among B1G teams. Offense looks better with JT Barrett at QB.
2) Michigan State (7-0, 3-0) - Last Week: 3 - MSU pulled away in the 2nd half against Indiana a week after a win over Michigan pushes them ahead of Iowa.
3) Iowa (7-0, 3-0) - Last Week: 2 - The bye week served costly as MSU had a blowout win against MSU. Iowa should be much healthier after having a week off.
4) Michigan (5-2, 2-1) - Last Week: 4 - Even with Michigan losing 2 weeks ago and being on a bye week this past weekend, they still stay above Wisconsin who took a .5 lead in both records.
5) Wisconsin (6-2, 3-1) - Last Week: 5 - The Badgers may have been more successful than Michigan lately, but Michigan was up by a wide margin that Wisconsin hasn't closed the gap fully. A bye week did not cost Michigan.
6) Penn State (6-2, 3-1) - Last Week: 6 - Got dominated by Ohio State and barely beat Purdue. That barely keeps them above Northwestern's win over Nebraska and got demolished the previous two weeks.
7) Northwestern (6-2, 2-2) - Last Week: 8 - Northwestern had a good win over Nebraska, but they still got demolished the previous two weeks. They are just behind PSU though.
8) Illinois (4-3, 1-2) - Last Week: 7 - Illinois is the highest ranked teams on this list that lost this past weekend. They actually lost their last two games, but they did play tough against Iowa and Wisconsin.
9) Nebraska (3-5, 1-3) - Last Week: 9 - Nebraska is much better than their record and they should be higher than 9th, if it hadn't been for the fact that they can't seem to win. They are the highest losing-record team.
10) Minnesota (4-3, 1-2) - Last Week: 11 - Minnesota moves up a spot after a bye week. Minnesota is the lowest scoring team in the B1G.
11) Rutgers (3-4, 1-3) - Last Week: 10 - Rutgers got destroyed by Ohio State, and could have easily been shut out if Ohio wanted to shut them out. But they did beat Indiana two weeks ago.
12) Indiana (4-4, 0-4) - Last Week: 12 - 3 good quarters against Michigan State will not help them after Spartans destroyed them in the 4th and losing to Rutgers the previous week. Hoosiers have given up more points vs B1G than any other B1G team.
13) Maryland (2-5, 0-3) - Last Week: 13 - 4-game losing and lost by a combined score 153-64 in their last four games.
14) Purdue (1-6, 0-3) - Last Week: 14 - They have yet to beat a FBS opponent and have allowed the most points against a B1G opponent compared to other conference team.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-3 Illinois @ 6-2 Penn State 12n/esn2
3-5 Nebraska @ 1-6 Purdue 12n/esnu
3-4 Rutgers @ 6-2 Wisconsin 12n/BTN
2-5 Maryland @ 7-0 #10 Iowa 330p/ABC
5-2 #15 Michigan @ 4-3 Minnesota 7p/espn

byes
8-0 #1 Ohio State
8-0 #6 Michigan State
4-4 Indiana
6-2 Northwestern

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-3 Illinois @ 6-2 Penn State 12n/esn2
3-5 Nebraska @ 1-6 Purdue 12n/esnu
3-4 Rutgers @ 6-2 Wisconsin 12n/BTN
2-5 Maryland @ 7-0 #10 Iowa 330p/ABC
5-2 #15 Michigan @ 4-3 Minnesota 7p/espn

byes
8-0 #1 Ohio State
8-0 #6 Michigan State
4-4 Indiana
6-2 Northwestern

Illinois at PSU should be B1G's game of the week.