• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The best CF national champion teams (SRS rating)

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO-BIG-RED.gif

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But in 30 years, are historians going to look at that roster as one of the best assembled in college or judge it by the fact that very few of those highly-regarded draft picks have become elite NFL players with only a handful of collective Pro Bowl appearances between them. "

All I know is, that 2005 Texas team, vs USC, was one helluva football game. I know I'm biased, but it was a great game. There were a bunch of NFL player on that Texas team (of course also on that USC team), but as these guys point out, not many All Pro guys. But I don't care, still was a game for the ages.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But in 30 years, are historians going to look at that roster as one of the best assembled in college or judge it by the fact that very few of those highly-regarded draft picks have become elite NFL players with only a handful of collective Pro Bowl appearances between them. "

All I know is, that 2005 Texas team, vs USC, was one helluva football game. I know I'm biased, but it was a great game. There were a bunch of NFL player on that Texas team (of course also on that USC team), but as these guys point out, not many All Pro guys. But I don't care, still was a game for the ages.
No argument here.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

May be the greatest game I have ever seen.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Top 4:

01. 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers
02. 2018 Clemson Tigers
03. 2013 Florida State Seminoles
04. 2005 Texas Longhorns

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely agreed. I'm biased too, so I'd say 2016 was slightly better, but that game is probably my #2 championship of all time (#3 major bowl - Boise has to win the title there for 2007).

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously, I'm biased, but I'm really torn about this one. I think what Nebraska did in 1995 was incredibly impressive. They beat their opponents by an average score of 53-15. Their smallest margin of victory was 14 points. They also beat four top 10 teams by an average score of 30.75. On Clemson's side, I do think the Kelly Bryant games are a blemish on their season. Because of those games, Clemson beat their opponents by an average of 44-13. They also had two games within a touchdown. I think the fact that Clemson did it in a playoff system (which did seem to capture the four best teams) and crushed both opponents adds to the legitimacy. However, I do think 1995 Nebraska is the greatest team of all time.

However, the OP said best, not greatest. And I think that means we have to look at Clemson with all their pieces in place. Under Lawrence, Clemson played 8 7 win or more teams. They beat them by an average of 48-11, including all teams by 20 or more. This is despite Dabo's practice of benching the starters as soon as the game is in control (they played a larger portion of their team than any team in history). Nebraska left their starters in for far longer, and Tommie Frazier and Ihman Green played in the second half in every game, and in the fourth in 8 of the 12. This holding back is also why Clemson performed at a much higher level against big opponents, including being the first team in over 40 years to beat two AP top 5 teams by 25 or more.

Looking at the teams, I honestly don't believe 1995 Nebraska could beat 2018 Clemson. This was a team based almost entirely on the run (Roughly 75% of the team's offensive production was on the ground (4400 of the teams 6100 yards were rushing)). Clemson had the greatest defensive line in history, with four future first rounders (since it would be shocking if Xavier Thomas were not) and up to seven future NFL players rotating in. They only allowed 2.5 ypc, despite playing a number of running-based teams (6 in the top 25) and superstar running backs. They shut them all down, allowing only 8 rushing touchdowns in 15 games.

Nebraska also had a great rushing defense. However, offensively, Clemson was extremely well-balanced, with top 10 passing and rushing offenses under Trevor Lawrence. Statistically, Alabama's passing defense this year was similar to 1995 Nebraska (and the same yards per attempt and 1.25 TDs per game (NU) vs 1.4 (Bama)) and Notre Dame was better than both (5.5 yards per pass (vs. 6.2) and .76 TDs per game). Clemson averaged 337 yards passing with 3 touchdowns, 0 INTs, and 9.5 yards per attempt. Clemson also ran well even against dominant rushing defenses. Ultimately, I just think Clemson would be much better positioned to exploit Nebraska's weaknesses and counter their strengths than vice versa. Finally, I think we'll see more Tigers playing on Sundays than we did on Nebraska's team (though NU did well there).

So yeah, I'll say Nebraska is the greatest team ever, but I think Clemson is probably the best.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, I'm biased, but I'm really torn about this one. I think what Nebraska did in 1995 was incredibly impressive. They beat their opponents by an average score of 53-15. Their smallest margin of victory was 14 points. They also beat four top 10 teams by an average score of 30.75. On Clemson's side, I do think the Kelly Bryant games are a blemish on their season. Because of those games, Clemson beat their opponents by an average of 44-13. They also had two games within a touchdown. I think the fact that Clemson did it in a playoff system (which did seem to capture the four best teams) and crushed both opponents adds to the legitimacy. However, I do think 1995 Nebraska is the greatest team of all time.

However, the OP said best, not greatest. And I think that means we have to look at Clemson with all their pieces in place. Under Lawrence, Clemson played 8 7 win or more teams. They beat them by an average of 48-11, including all teams by 20 or more. This is despite Dabo's practice of benching the starters as soon as the game is in control (they played a larger portion of their team than any team in history). Nebraska left their starters in for far longer, and Tommie Frazier and Ihman Green played in the second half in every game, and in the fourth in 8 of the 12. This holding back is also why Clemson performed at a much higher level against big opponents, including being the first team in over 40 years to beat two AP top 5 teams by 25 or more.

Looking at the teams, I honestly don't believe 1995 Nebraska could beat 2018 Clemson. This was a team based almost entirely on the run (Roughly 75% of the team's offensive production was on the ground (4400 of the teams 6100 yards were rushing)). Clemson had the greatest defensive line in history, with four future first rounders (since it would be shocking if Xavier Thomas were not) and up to seven future NFL players rotating in. They only allowed 2.5 ypc, despite playing a number of running-based teams (6 in the top 25) and superstar running backs. They shut them all down, allowing only 8 rushing touchdowns in 15 games.

Nebraska also had a great rushing defense. However, offensively, Clemson was extremely well-balanced, with top 10 passing and rushing offenses under Trevor Lawrence. Statistically, Alabama's passing defense this year was similar to 1995 Nebraska (and the same yards per attempt and 1.25 TDs per game (NU) vs 1.4 (Bama)) and Notre Dame was better than both (5.5 yards per pass (vs. 6.2) and .76 TDs per game). Clemson averaged 337 yards passing with 3 touchdowns, 0 INTs, and 9.5 yards per attempt. Clemson also ran well even against dominant rushing defenses. Ultimately, I just think Clemson would be much better positioned to exploit Nebraska's weaknesses and counter their strengths than vice versa. Finally, I think we'll see more Tigers playing on Sundays than we did on Nebraska's team (though NU did well there).

So yeah, I'll say Nebraska is the greatest team ever, but I think Clemson is probably the best.
Nebraska was BEST. (period)

Your logic is beyond flawed. It is your opinion though. Congrats! :D

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska was BEST. (period)

Your logic is beyond flawed. It is your opinion though. Congrats! :D

You're certainly free to go sit down and get drunk with Paul Johnson and discuss how the option is the best offense ever and not some dumb gimmick that anyone can stop once they know how.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're certainly free to go sit down and get drunk with Paul Johnson and discuss how the option is the best offense ever and not some dumb gimmick that anyone can stop once they know how.

Nebraska ran a power running offense, with option plays. It rarely if ever ran a true triple option In a true triple option, the QB makes a read on the defensive on whether or not to give the ball to the Fullback. When NUs Fullback got the ball it was almost always a called play. The option was on the pitch to the I-Back, or for the QB to keep the ball.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska ran a power running offense, with option plays. It rarely if ever ran a true triple option In a true triple option, the QB makes a read on the defensive on whether or not to give the ball to the Fullback. When NUs Fullback got the ball it was almost always a called play. The option was on the pitch to the I-Back, or for the QB to keep the ball.

I didn't say your only plays were options. But it was a significant part of the offense. 143 QB runs on the season, virtually all stemming from option reads. That's almost 25% of your running plays, and some of those running back carries and fullback carries did come from the triple option. Osborne himself said he ran the option offense between 25% and 30% of the time. If a third of your plays are the option, you're an option offense. But no matter that disagreement, the option a huge part of Nebraska's offense, and definitely kept teams off balance, contributing to their success. And none of it would succeed against an NFL defensive line. You're just completely wrong about all of this.

But it's fine. I gave the 95 Cornhuskers the credit they deserve. They're not the best, but you're free to have all the wrong opinions you want. I understand that reminiscing about 25 year old (or 48 year old for 1971) championships is about all you guys have to do (other than going to see the world famous Carhenge). So more power to you.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say your only plays were options. But it was a significant part of the offense. 143 QB runs on the season, virtually all stemming from option reads. That's almost 25% of your running plays, and some of those running back carries and fullback carries did come from the triple option. Osborne himself said he ran the option offense between 25% and 30% of the time. If a third of your plays are the option, you're an option offense. But no matter that disagreement, the option a huge part of Nebraska's offense, and definitely kept teams off balance, contributing to their success. And none of it would succeed against an NFL defensive line. You're just completely wrong about all of this.

But it's fine. I gave the 95 Cornhuskers the credit they deserve. They're not the best, but you're free to have all the wrong opinions you want. I understand that reminiscing about 25 year old (or 48 year old for 1971) championships is about all you guys have to do (other than going to see the world famous Carhenge). So more power to you.
No it wasnt. You are using stats that cannot compare to make your argument. I get it you are homering, thats cool but dont pretend to use some made up formula to justify it, just say hey i like clemson best so thats why.

You clearly do not know enough about Nebraska football beyond rumors and stats.

Our O-Line would have pounded your defense into dust, just like they did to everyone they faced. The End.

Now i will not pretend i am not biased Nebraska is my team.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wasnt. You are using stats that cannot compare to make your argument. I get it you are homering, thats cool but dont pretend to use some made up formula to justify it, just say hey i like clemson best so thats why.

You clearly do not know enough about Nebraska football beyond rumors and stats.

Our O-Line would have pounded your defense into dust, just like they did to everyone they faced. The End.

Now i will not pretend i am not biased Nebraska is my team.

I will still go to my grave thinking the 1999 team could have been Nebraska's best team ever