• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Michael Bennett wont attend workouts | Q13 FOX News

Just me perhaps, but I'm a bit tired of this guy. Possible great/not so much, locker room guy.

Tired of the news and then him denying the news. I believe he IS a possible problem.
Let's look at the stats, now maybe he is double teamed or a huge distraction, but, really, is he THAT GREAT that he needs a bigger contract, or is this just media shat????

Is Bennett worth the trouble?
Is this media over-blown?

IMO, trade this guy and get some picks to move up. Thoughts?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Army, we have a term called tactical patience. Don't make a hasty decision and allow for some time to develop the situation, if you have that luxury. I think it's a bit too early to put Bennett in one category over the other right now after missing a couple workouts. Walter Jones missed pretty much all of this stuff for the last few years of his career, and it didn't cripple the locker room or seemingly take away from his play.

I do agree this has the potential to become an issue, just don't think we are there yet.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Michael Bennett wont attend workouts | Q13 FOX News

Just me perhaps, but I'm a bit tired of this guy. Possible great/not so much, locker room guy.

Tired of the news and then him denying the news. I believe he IS a possible problem.
Let's look at the stats, now maybe he is double teamed or a huge distraction, but, really, is he THAT GREAT that he needs a bigger contract, or is this just media shat????

Is Bennett worth the trouble?
Is this media over-blown?

IMO, trade this guy and get some picks to move up. Thoughts?

No big deal dude. I think your getting tired of it cause of the 24 hour news cycle and the media having to shove something down your throats to satisfy your quench for nfl knowledge.... This stuff goes on all the time.

He wont show up to volantary work outs.... no big deal. he'll be there when he has to, cause he has no leverage. If he doesn't show up when he has to he'll lose a year of service time, which he def wont do. Whats he gonna do retire? Lynch got a little bump cause he actually could of walked away. Bennett isn't going anywhere.

If your tired of hearing about stuff like this. Go pay attention to baseball for a while, or the nba/nhl playoffs. Its the new internet age, if you allow it, you'll get nothing but nfl updates, and their not always gonna be rosey koom buhyas.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why he's having an issue with his contract ... I think he's a fine player, HUGE key to why we have a Super Bowl title... BUT he resigned last year ... Bennett needs too stop ... If the Seahawks came too him a year later and said we want a new contract and a lower salary for you, he'd be pissed.. Buck up and stop whining Bennett... We seriously appreciate your contribution too the Seahawks, but just stop please... You signed your new deal last year happily.... Now focus on football and bring it in 2015-16

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is the #3 best pass rusher according to PFF (takes into accounts hurries/hits, etc) only topped by JJ Watt and Justin Houston. I could care less what he holds out for/doesn't attend for that cheap-o contract that Pete/John must've held someone ransom for him to sign.

The fact the #3 pass rusher is getting paid < $10M per year is ridiculous.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is the #3 best pass rusher according to PFF (takes into accounts hurries/hits, etc) only topped by JJ Watt and Justin Houston. I could care less what he holds out for/doesn't attend for that cheap-o contract that Pete/John must've held someone ransom for him to sign.

The fact the #3 pass rusher is getting paid < $10M per year is ridiculous.
Bennett is a great player would I'd love to have on the Pats. But not a 10 million +. Even despite those stats. Teams only have so much $ to spend. Not every stud on a team can get paid top 10 money let alone top 3. His current contract also allows Seattle to keep other key players.
I'm with Boogie I hate players renegotiating contracts they just signed.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Link?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever hear of this thing called the Google.
Sure he has, but a Google search didn't locate it for me. Asking for a link seems like a reasonable thing to ask for.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett can bitch and moan all he wants but he signed that contract so he better be ready for training camp and the season.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever hear of this thing called the Google.

I use Bing personally, but nothing came of nearly an hour. So, you can stop being so condescending when I ask for a link to the stat that he's used on more than one occasion.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a snaps vs production of the pass rushers last December and Bennett was ranked 27th in the NFL. They based this on how many snaps the player plays so there were guys that had like 100 less snaps but more production ahead of Bennett ( and rightfully so as they were having more success ). Bennett is a stud because he can play outside as a DE and inside and be effective but he is not a top 10 edge rusher and he is not a top 10 inside rusher. Bennett has never even had a 10 sack season and should be paid for his production and i believe he is WELL paid for his production. I also believe he is very important to how this team likes to play and he knows this. I also feel if Lynch can skip workouts then a player as good as Bennett that plays so many snaps and is 29 years old should be excused from some of the workouts. I think many people forget he is coming to the end of his career all ready and his numbers are in decline the past 3 seasons ( 9, 8.5, 7 sacks )

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Not a big deal now. He is a vet. He is under contract. He wants more money.

Let's worry about more pressing situations now and then slide him a little more closer to the season if our cap situation allows (like we did for Lynch last year). I don't really care if he misses some camps. Many vets miss some camps.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having trouble finding the article, but if I recall it was posted around Feb 2015. Odd I can't find it again (it was fairly easy to google) but perhaps it was only up for a brief time as I know you need to be a member to view some of that. There's an article listing the top free agents with Houston be overwhelmingly #1. It was like 56 points Houston, 50 JJ Watt, and then like 30 for Bennett. I'm surprised I didn't link it in my older posts.

Well until I can (or someone can find it) I'll stop saying this because agreed it's worthless without a link to find. Dang, I wish I had saved it.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Not a big deal now. He is a vet. He is under contract. He wants more money.

Let's worry about more pressing situations now and then slide him a little more closer to the season if our cap situation allows (like we did for Lynch last year). I don't really care if he misses some camps. Many vets miss some camps.

I doubt they give him anything actually. With the new CBA players have zero leverage.... UNLESS they are like Lynch and ready to possibly walk away from the game. Im not sure of all the details but if players hold out they lose a year of service time meaning they wont become a FA until a year later. Heard that on claytons radio show the other day.

sorry blstoker. I assumed you were just being lazy and didn't want to find the article. I mean he cited the source as PFF in the op..... if you couldn't find it with a search maybe it never actually happened.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry blstoker. I assumed you were just being lazy and didn't want to find the article. I mean he cited the source as PFF in the op..... if you couldn't find it with a search maybe it never actually happened.

No problem. I found one article that ranked him as the best pass rusher free agent last offseason, but it wasn't pertinent to what I was really looking for. PFF doesn't make things easy finding archived articles.

I would find it hard to believe that Bennett got enough QB pressures and such to make up for being ranked 36th in sacks. Last year, though, I may have believed him ranked high (maybe not third) as Bennett was more effective in fewer snaps than he was in 2014. But in 2014, he was pretty unremarkable the first half of the season, and no one was getting consistent pressure on the quarterback for our defense.

"We have a number of guys that aren’t here for specific reasons. It’s voluntary right now, so, he’s one of them that’s not here.’’ - John Schneider on Michael Bennett

I don't think there is anything to worry about until he starts missing mandatory events.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is a great player would I'd love to have on the Pats. But not a 10 million +. Even despite those stats. Teams only have so much $ to spend. Not every stud on a team can get paid top 10 money let alone top 3. His current contract also allows Seattle to keep other key players.
I'm with Boogie I hate players renegotiating contracts they just signed.

:agree: It's different if their on the last year of a contract, but too whine right after you sign a new deal is just sour milk .... I really like Bennett he's a helluva player, but the time to negotiate was before he happily signed his new deal...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between last year's false reports on Lynch's situation, the Harvin crap, the various speculative "reports" on Wilson's extension talks and this stuff with Bennett, I'm trying really hard to ignore any Seahawks "story" that is just being put out there to stir the pot. If I see that the Hawks have reached an agreement on an extension with Wilson and/or Wagner, and it's confirmed by multiple outlets including the Seahawks themselves, I'll pay attention. If Bennett sits out long enough to disrupt mandatory minicamps/training camp, I'll pay attention. If the Hawks make any more interesting trades or signings or draft a noteworthy player, I'll pay attention. Everything else is just noise. I'm not worried about this in the slightest and I would hesitate to even refer to it as a "holdout" at this point. It only becomes an issue for me if he starts missing the mandatory stuff, which I don't think he'll do.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's a huge deal, but Bennett should attend team activities, even if voluntary. Salk put it very well yesterday: if Bennett is a leader of this team, and then team is now gathering for some workouts, then he should be there. Period. I think Wyman downplayed by saying something like it's not a big deal because players can work out better on their own, but to me it's not just about a physical workout. It's about team building, and the team leader(s) should be present when that is going on.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's a huge deal, but Bennett should attend team activities, even if voluntary. Salk put it very well yesterday: if Bennett is a leader of this team, and then team is now gathering for some workouts, then he should be there. Period. I think Wyman downplayed by saying something like it's not a big deal because players can work out better on their own, but to me it's not just about a physical workout. It's about team building, and the team leader(s) should be present when that is going on.
Without a doubt. You can't overlook teambuilding. Team commradarie is an unmeasurable that gets overlooked.