• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The B1G Thread

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about some of these points. Northwestern's defense still seems soft upfront. They scheme well, but that won't always be enough.

Wisconsin handled business well. The defense will just get better, too. The offensive line is a couple shades off from what we saw in 2010 and 2011. They're going to be interesting to watch because if they don't start playing better in the redzone, they might get beat by someone they shouldn't get beat by.

Minnesota is always teasing their fans early on. Shame on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin's o-line lacks depth. At some point we'll lose a starter to injury, and there will be a huge drop off.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the teams expected to compete for the Big Ten title this year, only two looked impressive week one; Michigan and Wisconsin.

I'll give Northwestern some slack as they had the biggest challenge in the Big Ten week one, on the road at another AQ school.

MSU and Nebraska showed some serious flaws, and they were more or less what we expected. Offense for MSU and defense for Nebraska.

Ohio State didn't look bad, but they didn't look great either. This is Buffalo we are talking about, and they did a better job hanging around than they should, and it took Ohio State longer than it should to break away.

While Michigan and Wisconsin did what they were suppose to do, dominate the lesser opponent to the point of being able to get quality game snaps for 2nd/3rd string players.

Now, that all being said, this is still only week one. So how telling any of these games are? Meh, that's debatable. We will learn much more in the weeks to come.

I thought NW looked pretty impressive. They are a real contender for that division crown this year.

Wisky looked good. Hard to tell really with that level of competition, but I really like the HC they brought in. They should be contenders and should be a top 20 caliber team.

Ohio State...well they looked good for the first 5 min of their game. Then they got really sloppy and kinda coasted the rest of the way. Hard to gauge because their opponent was so inferior and they certainly did not have the same intensity after going up 23-0. Defense, particularly big play potential, remains a serious question mark on the team.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought NW looked pretty impressive. They are a real contender for that division crown this year.

Wisky looked good. Hard to tell really with that level of competition, but I really like the HC they brought in. They should be contenders and should be a top 20 caliber team.

Ohio State...well they looked good for the first 5 min of their game. Then they got really sloppy and kinda coasted the rest of the way. Hard to gauge because their opponent was so inferior and they certainly did not have the same intensity after going up 23-0. Defense, particularly big play potential, remains a serious question mark on the team.

Bear in mind that was the first game for 10 new starters on defense and we were without our best player by far. Giving up only 13 points and 258 yards is just fine. They'll gel as the year goes on.

The Bucks dominated this game until they went up big and then took the foot off the gas. TBH, if not for that Mack on Buffalo, this likely would've been an even bigger blowout. He was their entire defense.

I'm not sure why folks are making such a big deal out of it. It was just the first game. If this was game 6, I'd be concerned.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear in mind that was the first game for 10 new starters on defense and we were without our best player by far. Giving up only 13 points and 258 yards is just fine. They'll gel as the year goes on.

The Bucks dominated this game until they went up big and then took the foot off the gas. TBH, if not for that Mack on Buffalo, this likely would've been an even bigger blowout. He was their entire defense.

I'm not sure why folks are making such a big deal out of it. It was just the first game. If this was game 6, I'd be concerned.

I agree with that last sentence. Was only providing my two cents from what little we can observe from week one. We'll learn a lot about Michigan this week Under the Lights and about Ohio State next week at Cal.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that last sentence. Was only providing my two cents from what little we can observe from week one. We'll learn a lot about Michigan this week Under the Lights and about Ohio State next week at Cal.

yah, for damn sure! even though it's not a 'traditional' rivalry...even though the two winningest teams in cfb history have been playing since 1887?...gad

and

nah, I doubt it. OSU won't be challenged until Bucky visits on 28SEP.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah, for damn sure! even though it's not a 'traditional' rivalry...even though the two winningest teams in cfb history have been playing since 1887?...gad

and

nah, I doubt it. OSU won't be challenged until Bucky visits on 28SEP.

I don't know, Cal almost beat them last year at the Shoe, and they gave Northwestern a good run last week.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, Cal almost beat them last year at the Shoe, and they gave Northwestern a good run last week.

I was a little concerned about the Cal game coming into the season after what happened last year...but when Northwestern blew their doors off last week, my concerns subsided.

I'm just hoping for the D to tighten up a bit and the overall team play to clean up. There were some really sloppy moments saturday.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little concerned about the Cal game coming into the season after what happened last year...but when Northwestern blew their doors off last week, my concerns subsided.

I'm just hoping for the D to tighten up a bit and the overall team play to clean up. There were some really sloppy moments saturday.

geez...all I want is a QB...
and, if it's not too much to ask? - a WR with hands.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do know that Northwestern scored two defensive touchdowns (the same guy getting two pick sixes) right? And given how rare those are, and let's just say defense isn't the strength of this Ohio State team, you probably should still be at least a little concerned.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that Northwestern scored two defensive touchdowns (the same guy getting two pick sixes) right? And given how rare those are, and let's just say defense isn't the strength of this Ohio State team, you probably should still be at least a little concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its going to be a cake walk. B1G teams have a notoriously difficult time when they go out west and as you mentioned, Cal gave tOSU all they could handle last season.

I'm just less concerned than I was before.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say defense is necessarily a weakness either. 10 brand new starters allowed 13 points in their first game together.

Also, while you point out NW had 2 pick sixes and how rare they are, don't forget Cal had a TD on a fake FG, which is even more rare.

OSU showed they have no problem moving the ball, and we're also now gonna have our best defensive player (Roby) back, and Rod Smith will also be back on offense. We'll be fine.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin's o-line lacks depth. At some point we'll lose a starter to injury, and there will be a huge drop off.

This is completely true, but it is also true that our two toughest games will be done by the end of September. It's another of the threat perks in our schedule. If we can survive the first month, there is no reason an injured Badger team should go down to NW, BYU, or PSU when they know the implication of the games to be played.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say defense is necessarily a weakness either. 10 brand new starters allowed 13 points in their first game together.

Also, while you point out NW had 2 pick sixes and how rare they are, don't forget Cal had a TD on a fake FG, which is even more rare.

OSU showed they have no problem moving the ball, and we're also now gonna have our best defensive player (Roby) back, and Rod Smith will also be back on offense. We'll be fine.

We shall see.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

:L

If you cannot see the flaws in the Ohio State defense, then I cannot help you.

But Buffalo was able to move the ball against the vaunted Ohio State defense. If they could, you gotta think a Sunny Dykes offense will as well. Sure Ohio State will score points, but will it be enough? We shall see.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you cannot see the flaws in the Ohio State defense, then I cannot help you.

But Buffalo was able to move the ball against the vaunted Ohio State defense. If they could, you gotta think a Sunny Dykes offense will as well. Sure Ohio State will score points, but will it be enough? We shall see.

If you cannot accurately tell me right now what the flaws were and how his offense is going to exploit them and beat us, then you're simply being biased. Also, since when is scoring 13 points with 258 total yards "moving the ball against our vaunted defense"?

If you also think they're gonna hold our offense back, one that hit for 35 on them last year when we were in our infancy and just learning how to run his playbook, then you're also simply being biased. Do upsets happen sometimes? Sure. Looking at it right now, is there anything that would even remotely suggest it? Not at all.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok...call it Wk #2 'Pick em'...what's your call?

I listed my picks earlier...please share yours.

MINNESOTA @ NEW MEX STATE
INDIANA vs NAVY
MICHIGAN STATE vs USF
MICHIGAN vs NOTRE DAME
OHIO STATE vs SDSU
PENN STATE vs EMU
PURDUE vs ISU
IOWA vs MZZOU STATE
WISCONSIN vs TN TECH
NORTHWESTERN vs SYRACUSE
ILLINOIS vs CINCINNATI
NEBRASKA vs S. MISSISSIPPI

Game of the week call: 32 ND @ MICH 41

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State's defense is the best in the conference

welcome to the show GGGW...
few enough Spartan fans hereabouts.

State's D is superb, and looks to be top-10...
it'll have to be, because...
well, you know

:gaah:

(too many mediocre arms. too few good hands.)