• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Art Of The Deal

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think being a MLB GM takes special talents? Here is how the Capps for Morrison deal went down per GMJ.

"It was very, very important for us to get a right-handed hitter and Corey fit that bill," Zduriencik said. "Then when Logan became available, that happened real quick. Honest to God, it was one conversation. I texted them and said I'd have interest in Logan Morrison and [Miami GM Dan Jennings] texted back and said 'Carter Capps.'
"We called each other and had a five-minute conversation, and consummated the deal. As much as I did not want to trade Carter, because we love the upside that kid has, I also felt it was important to get a player that is 26 years of age and has the offensive prowess this guy potentially has, and he's healthy."
-------------
And who says GMZ isn't into new ways of doing things. He texted his interested didn't he? LOL.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... Although I think it was a good value trade why didn't Z try to give up less? I mean he probably could have thrown out a counter offer with a lower tier player and still landed Morrison. His name had been in trade rumors for a while and I get the impression the Marlins were ready to move on. Does not sound like a negotiation to me, sounds like Z just willing to give up whatever it takes to get a guy he wants.

A lot of times in negotiations one side will throw out an anchor offer (i.e. if I'm selling a house I'll say I want a million for it but know I'll sell it for $900,000 and be happy) and the two sides reach somewhere in the middle. Z probably could have negotiated the price down for a lesser player, if this it true it sounds like he did not even try.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, but he didn't want to lose his prize acquisition in Morrison...lol. Funny that he was talked about a lot with other teams yet nobody was able or willing to obtain him. I personally didn't think much of Capps, but I get your point. I sold real estate for over a decade and it is all in the art of the negotiation.

Of course the negotiator was the same guy that just had to have his guy in Smoak a few years back.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point being is that the little things tend to add up over time.

As I've said in the past I think Morrison has more value than Capps and it was a good trade but I still don't see Morrison as much more than an outfield version of Justin Smoak.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about Carter Capps here. The guy had a 5.49 ERA and made people nervous every time he came into the game last year and you guys think there was less the Mariners could have offered than that? The M's needed offense and there was a team willing to take a guy with a 5.49 ERA off their hands. Yeah, Capps can touch 100 MPH from time-to-time, but opposing hitters hit .300 off of him last year and he gave up almost as many homeruns in 59 innings as Felix did in over 200 innings.