• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The All Time Cowboy Team

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was sitting with a few guys the other night (cold one's involved) and the topic became the all time Dallas Cowboy team. We all kinda agreed on players in the HOF were a natural choice for this team. not all players... Ditka, Alworth, Adderley types were excluded. Corner was Renfro & Prime with no additional discussion required. Same with Dtackle having Lilly & White. But what about QB where this team has two HOF'ers. Is it a generation gap discussion or is it a no brainer with Staubach? We had a couple mid 30's fellows there and it was interesting to say the least.

I had Roger, Emmitt, DJ in the backfield with Irvin and Bryant at wide and Witten as the TE. (didn't think Dorsett and Emmitt was a true backfield where a FB has been mostly used in Dallas.

Oline can be a coin flip but I actually went out on a limb and said in a short amount of time T. Smith & Travis Fredrick will be on this team. So I went Smith, Allen, Fred, Nate Newton & Rayfield who was a RT, not LT (sorry Eric William fans...it was hard for me to put nate over John Niland, but I do).

To me no discussion about corner or dtackle due to great football HOF'ers, but you could throw Renfro in as a safety cause he was all pro at both positions. That could open discussion for Everson Walls, but I kept him at corner. Walls was good with the ball in the air and could flat out catch but he was toast many times and thrown at often.

It could be argued but Haley & Harvey Martin were my picks for DE's

Then there was LB and safety. This team has had some great players over the years but these two positions were the most challenged at our round table the other night. I went Woody & Harris for the safety's....LB was a pure struggle. LB's came and went after the 70's were up. After that...Some good players with mostly short terms in Dallas and not all that much league wide flash. Hollywood Henderson included. COULD NOT HELP IT...I'm a Sean Lee ball washer, injuries and all. When healthy, Lee beats anything I've ever seen in Dallas with regards to commitment through film study. LOL, 4 games at will, and I have him all time. My group is Howley at strong, Lee Roy in the middle and Lee playing weak side.

forget the kickers...their kickers.

I guess as expected, I leaned towards the 70's. Hard to argue most of um but I guess Harris, Martin, and Lee Roy could be argued but not Howley, that guy was a baller almost all the time (like Lee)

and I know three of my current players can be questioned, maybe 4, but not likely Witten

70's - 9 Players
90's - 8 Players
No Championships - 5 Players....crazy I know

The rub looks to be Staubach or Aikman

what ya think?

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprised there was no discussion at CB. I just never look at Deon as a true Cowboy. I would have definitely gone Williams at OT.

FB - Anyone suggest Newhouse or Springs

WR- Dez already?? I would say there had to be some Pearson fans in there.

Qb- no brainer

LB- tough call - I would have argued that Ware could play any of the 3 LB spots better than anyone mentioned

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to Ware- don't take that wrong about LB. I would just think he deserves to be on that team somewhere.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Lee- we all have our favorites. Should make Earl happy. Ha

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was sitting with a few guys the other night (cold one's involved) and the topic became the all time Dallas Cowboy team. We all kinda agreed on players in the HOF were a natural choice for this team. not all players... Ditka, Alworth, Adderley types were excluded. Corner was Renfro & Prime with no additional discussion required. Same with Dtackle having Lilly & White. But what about QB where this team has two HOF'ers. Is it a generation gap discussion or is it a no brainer with Staubach? We had a couple mid 30's fellows there and it was interesting to say the least.

I had Roger, Emmitt, DJ in the backfield with Irvin and Bryant at wide and Witten as the TE. (didn't think Dorsett and Emmitt was a true backfield where a FB has been mostly used in Dallas.

Oline can be a coin flip but I actually went out on a limb and said in a short amount of time T. Smith & Travis Fredrick will be on this team. So I went Smith, Allen, Fred, Nate Newton & Rayfield who was a RT, not LT (sorry Eric William fans...it was hard for me to put nate over John Niland, but I do).

To me no discussion about corner or dtackle due to great football HOF'ers, but you could throw Renfro in as a safety cause he was all pro at both positions. That could open discussion for Everson Walls, but I kept him at corner. Walls was good with the ball in the air and could flat out catch but he was toast many times and thrown at often.

It could be argued but Haley & Harvey Martin were my picks for DE's

Then there was LB and safety. This team has had some great players over the years but these two positions were the most challenged at our round table the other night. I went Woody & Harris for the safety's....LB was a pure struggle. LB's came and went after the 70's were up. After that...Some good players with mostly short terms in Dallas and not all that much league wide flash. Hollywood Henderson included. COULD NOT HELP IT...I'm a Sean Lee ball washer, injuries and all. When healthy, Lee beats anything I've ever seen in Dallas with regards to commitment through film study. LOL, 4 games at will, and I have him all time. My group is Howley at strong, Lee Roy in the middle and Lee playing weak side.

forget the kickers...their kickers.

I guess as expected, I leaned towards the 70's. Hard to argue most of um but I guess Harris, Martin, and Lee Roy could be argued but not Howley, that guy was a baller almost all the time (like Lee)

and I know three of my current players can be questioned, maybe 4, but not likely Witten

70's - 9 Players
90's - 8 Players
No Championships - 5 Players....crazy I know

The rub looks to be Staubach or Aikman

what ya think?
You pretty much nailed it across the board IMO...except maybe Too Tall and Erik Williams(and ST captain Bill Bates)

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree passing over E Williams would be tough. Just for the nasty factor lol.
If you included a 3rd down type of back I'd go with Preston Pearson.
Must have been a good discussion. Nice job on the rest.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree passing over E Williams would be tough. Just for the nasty factor lol.
If you included a 3rd down type of back I'd go with Preston Pearson.
Must have been a good discussion. Nice job on the rest.

Yes Sir...P Pearson would be my 3rd down back and D. Pearson my 3rd wide (slot) with Billy Joe Dupree playing two tight sets. Billy Bates and kenny Gant would be special team demons.

D Ware Vs Harvey Martin is where the convo got a little tense...not so much when you consider Rayfield and Eric Williams were both pure right tackles. Hard for me to put Big Eric ahead of a long distinguished HOF career that Mr. Wright enjoyed.

Just shows....Dallas has sure had some great players over the years when Novecek hardly gets a mention. Not so much at safety or linebacker

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprised there was no discussion at CB. I just never look at Deon as a true Cowboy. I would have definitely gone Williams at OT.

FB - Anyone suggest Newhouse or Springs

WR- Dez already?? I would say there had to be some Pearson fans in there.

Qb- no brainer

LB- tough call - I would have argued that Ware could play any of the 3 LB spots better than anyone mentioned

historically Dallas is a 4-3 team and Ware can't play LB in a 4-3 but yes, Ware could play with any as a DE

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Lee- we all have our favorites. Should make Earl happy. Ha
that's the thing...DD Lewis, Dave Hegman, Kenny Norton, Hollywood???
give me and Earl Mr. Sean Lee

funny part....I've learned to appreciate Romo after the last 3/4 years but even with all the passing records and with some luck, a future championship...he would remain a distant 3rd on my list. Dallas is historically QB blessed like FEW other franchises

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compare the all time team against any other NFC east all time team and you'll see why everyone in the east has Dallas as their benchmark. Look no further than the most important position in all of team sports to understand why. Romo with a single championship would to fly to the top of their team lists if he played on their team. (leather helmet days excluded)

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's the thing...DD Lewis, Dave Hegman, Kenny Norton, Hollywood???
give me and Earl Mr. Sean Lee

funny part....I've learned to appreciate Romo after the last 3/4 years but even with all the passing records and with some luck, a future championship...he would remain a distant 3rd on my list. Dallas is historically QB blessed like FEW other franchises

Like I said - we all have our favorites. We all have our opinions too.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said - we all have our favorites. We all have our opinions too.
yep...we do

your one and only opinion in this thread was Ware....otherwise, you just second guessed.
Fine by me....Ware is in and Harvey out unless you think Haley was a rent a player like prime.

no wrong responses here

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep...we do

your one and only opinion in this thread was Ware....otherwise, you just second guessed.
Fine by me....Ware is in and Harvey out unless you think Haley was a rent a player like prime.

no wrong responses here

Haley was a part of 3 Superbowls , Deion 1. Opinions/ second guessing- not sure the difference .

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't understand my 1 opinion. Truthfully-out of the 22 positions- I would have 6 different players.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo and ?

Jarntt, I have you pegged around my age. With you living in The New York area, not sure how much you got to see of Staubach.

If you could compare Aikman and Staubach to some one in todays game, who would it be.?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt, I have you pegged around my age. With you living in The New York area, not sure how much you got to see of Staubach.

If you could compare Aikman and Staubach to some one in todays game, who would it be.?
you are 75 also? I thought you were a little younger.

Staubach is the clear winner for me. Loved Aikman and think on many teams he'd be the easy #1 and think he is wrongly penalized by some for how little he threw compared to the guys in his era, but Staubach was just something special IMO...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand I'm considered the old man and all...which is fine by me, but 57 sure sounds less old now that I've arrived

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider 57 old at all. It did surprise me that u had Smith and Frederick on your list as well as Dez. They all will likely be on my list in due time. No wrong answers though