• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Alex / SF / Miami triangle

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal was so Kaep-friendly (it's all about the guaranteed or escalators, not the 24) and the Niners were not in the Manning race at that point. Alex knew what the contract was saying about the Niners feeling on him, unlikely that he could change those perception before the season, but he knew they needed him now more than later, I guess. If we had been wishy-washy about Smith in the press, I think he'd have signed. His agent did what was smart at the time because most teams negotiate (I know the Niner's don't much).

I'm not sure I understand your post but a week ago I posted these:

"I think the playing time escalators remain due to Colin. I would be surprised if Kaepernick is not ready to take over at some point during this season. As I see it, Smith remains our starter only as long as his mistake-free football is winning games."

"...Smith's contract may be structured with a lot of playing time escalators, which would make business sense if Colin is expected to take the team sometime this or next year. If my guess is accurate then that maybe the snag."

Smith needs the 49ers more than we need him and if I am correct about the structure of his contract then Smith would be able to play through those escalators and would have nothing to worry about.

Thus, and based on my being correct about the contract, my attitude toward Smith is STFU and prove this year wasn't a fluke. There is no way we are removing a winning QB from the field.

IMO, Smith has been offered a fair contract (albeit on the low end of the fair scale) for where he is at this point in his career. One good season does not a career make and Alex still has things to prove.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, Toby - This trip to Miami was BEFORE Manning decided. He started Monday's talks BEFORE Manning told the Niners. What was he supposed to do if Manning was coming? Wait until Garrard or Flynn signed before going to Miami? He told Miami that he would only sign with them if Manning went to SF. I think that was dumb, but it shows this wasn't a leverage play. Who knows whether Miami would have pursued him further if it wasn't apparent he was set to come back? Like you said, no one would pick Garrard voluntarily, Smith would have received something.

Crawling back in 2011? That's some revisionist history going on there. Alex was pursued against lockout rules by Harbaugh. Alex committed before people could make any inquiries on him. It's been widely reported that Seattle was interested in him last year and this year.

I get that Smith is limited. I get that Manning is better. What is with everyone coming out of the woodwork, including Iguana for awhile, against Smith... for working out with Miami when Manning was still deciding? Some people expect Smith to not look out for himself. And if he came back and signed right now, we'd get more "crawling back to SF" BS comments. Have some respect for a hard worker who didn't sign because SF's deal was illusory in part. 10 million guaranteed? That's less per year than last year (though I know shorter deals are higher).

He can't win because if he signed early, people would say he caved to a deal that was clearly Kaep-friendly. Where's that confidence? He negotiates upon his experienced agents' recommendation, which may still work out BTW despite York's comments, and he's wrong here? I think he'll sign and should sign now that all teams have a QB, but I'm not going to blame him for his actions so far. Maybe I will if he goes to Cleveland, especially since it would be for less, with even less chance of keeping the starting job. Win a SB in 2012-13, hello starting job through the rest of the contract, most likely. Just sign and play.

I'd like to see a verifiable link to that. I don't believe that. I don't blame Smith for doing what he did but he really got embarrassed. There is not a team out there, other than the 49ers, who want him as their starting QB and it showed. I think it was a bad mistake by him. His agent must have given him some bad info. Even I could have told him he'd get no offers. He'd have looked better playing the loyal Qb who would only play for one team and hope that it turned out like it did that Manning didn't have the balls to take on the challenge in SF.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought it was a good article. It was a big risk going after Manning. We were a Super Bowl worthy team last year, and while Manning was upgrade we proved last year he was not a needed upgrade to win a title. We've now not only lost out on Manning, but we have strained the relationship between the organization and the QB that took us to the NFC Championship. I don't see how going after Manning has helped us at all going into this next season.

It was a risk we did not need to take, and it's a risk that could negatively effect us next season. This is bad because we had a lot of positive energy coming off last season and so far were having a very good off-season. Now we look very unsettled at the most important position.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a good article. It was a big risk going after Manning. We were a Super Bowl worthy team last year, and while Manning was upgrade we proved last year he was not a needed upgrade to win a title. We've now not only lost out on Manning, but we have strained the relationship between the organization and the QB that took us to the NFC Championship. I don't see how going after Manning has helped us at all going into this next season.

It was a risk we did not need to take, and it's a risk that could negatively effect us next season. This is bad because we had a lot of positive energy coming off last season and so far were having a very good off-season. Now we look very unsettled at the most important position.

David akers and the defense would like a word with you. Alex was average and did what he needed to do. But if not for our D forcing TO's and akers scoring us all those points we may not have been there. How is it a mistake to go after a sure hall of famer QB with a SB ring already? Alex will still be Alex next yr.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Alex did have his moments and did not crumble away last season....

Led a stellar drive in the playoffs which became a part of 49ers history.

I am stunned that he of all people would feel shunned from all this.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Alex did have his moments and did not crumble away last season....

Led a stellar drive in the playoffs which became a part of 49ers history.

I am stunned that he of all people would feel shunned from all this.

I think Alex was expecting the organization to reward him for his dedication and feels a bit jaded by the offer. When he was not performing well he had no problem re-working his contract to help the team. When everyone was telling him to leave last year he not only stayed but went out of his way to prepare the offense for the coming season.

He probably for the first time in his career feels the organization owes him.

The offer may be fair value for the play over his career, but I can see where Alex expected a little more based on off the field factors.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a verifiable link to that. I don't believe that. I don't blame Smith for doing what he did but he really got embarrassed. There is not a team out there, other than the 49ers, who want him as their starting QB and it showed. I think it was a bad mistake by him. His agent must have given him some bad info. Even I could have told him he'd get no offers. He'd have looked better playing the loyal Qb who would only play for one team and hope that it turned out like it did that Manning didn't have the balls to take on the challenge in SF.

If Manning signed here, I don't see that Alex would have been embarrassed. He was going to get an offer and was in negotiations when Manning announced. It has been reported on multiple sites that he was going to be offered the same deal there, presumably for more guaranteed but maybe not. It only looks embarrassing because the Dolphins knew that they were his backup plan.

QB Alex Smith negotiating with Dolphins; throws Manning waiting game for loop - The Denver Post

When Manning released his decision, Smith left without the offer. Believe what you want to believe, but the offer was reportedly there. Alex did let Miami know that he would only sign after Manning's decision, which I understand is not the exact same thing as saying he will sign with SF if Manning isn't there - but we all know it means that. Miami then offered one year, not three years, to Garrard, not exactly putting Garrard above Alex like you said. Alex Smith also not all that into Dolphins | Miami Dolphins In Depth

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Alex was expecting the organization to reward him for his dedication and feels a bit jaded by the offer. When he was not performing well he had no problem re-working his contract to help the team. When everyone was telling him to leave last year he not only stayed but went out of his way to prepare the offense for the coming season.

He probably for the first time in his career feels the organization owes him.

The offer may be fair value for the play over his career, but I can see where Alex expected a little more based on off the field factors.

Not only that....but the organization was saying "he's our guy". You can imagine thinking that, then having the rug pulled out from beneath. Yeah, its business, but you can still be stunned by developments.

Kevin Lynch is just talking about this right now on KNBR.....says there was probably some mixed-messages going on, where Harbaugh and Smith are very tight and JH probably gave AS lots of assurances.....but people higher up in the front office are more about looking at options, whether its Manning or letting CK have good opportunity. Says he doesn't even think it was JH's decision to go see Manning throw.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Manning signed here, I don't see that Alex would have been embarrassed. He was going to get an offer and was in negotiations when Manning announced. It has been reported on multiple sites that he was going to be offered the same deal there, presumably for more guaranteed but maybe not. It only looks embarrassing because the Dolphins knew that they were his backup plan.

QB Alex Smith negotiating with Dolphins; throws Manning waiting game for loop - The Denver Post

When Manning released his decision, Smith left without the offer. Believe what you want to believe, but the offer was reportedly there. Alex did let Miami know that he would only sign after Manning's decision, which I understand is not the exact same thing as saying he will sign with SF if Manning isn't there - but we all know it means that. Miami then offered one year, not three years, to Garrard, not exactly putting Garrard above Alex like you said. Alex Smith also not all that into Dolphins | Miami Dolphins In Depth

Thank you.