• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Alex / SF / Miami triangle

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Smith is a) a bigger idiot than I thought or b) trying to get more money out of the 49ers while having no intention of going to play for Miami.

If he really wants to go play for Miami then I'm OK with what someone else already said in one of the other threads... let him.

Its B, which actually makes him pretty smart if he is doing that

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its B, which actually makes him pretty smart if he is doing that

They should call his bluff then... because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sign with Miami (for pretty much equal money with maybe a bit more guaranteed amount) and there don't seem to be any other suitors so he's kind of shooting himself in the foot, IMO.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should call his bluff then... because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sign with Miami (for pretty much equal money with maybe a bit more guaranteed amount) and there don't seem to be any other suitors so he's kind of shooting himself in the foot, IMO.

If the offer wasn't already on the low side, I would do the same; either pull or lower the offer. It's my understanding that Smith could have prevented this Manning fiasco by simply signing the tender when it was presented to him. He chose not to and consequently opened to door for us to pursue/inquire about Manning.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith - QB - 49ers NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the 49ers' offer of $24 million over three years to free agent Alex Smith remains on the table.
The proposal has not been "lowered or revoked." La Canfora also reports that team sources are "confident" Smith will re-sign with San Francisco. Smith's visit and flirtation with the Dolphins are reportedly being viewed as "a play for leverage" by NFL insiders. In other words, Miami might have to offer significantly more than $8 million per season in order to land Smith.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QB Alex Smith visits Dolphins
Updated: March 19, 2012, 12:32 PM ET

MIAMI -- Even in the offseason, the Miami Dolphins' quarterback carousel keeps spinning.

After being spurned by Peyton Manning, the Dolphins had a brief, unproductive courtship with Matt Flynn, then turned their attention Sunday to Alex Smith, the San Francisco 49ers free agent.

Smith left the Miami complex after a 5½-hour meeting. Dolphins officials declined to comment on any details about this visit.

The 49ers were one of three finalists in the Manning sweepstakes but the former Indianapolis Colts quarterback has decided to sign with the Denver Broncos, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. A contract agreement is expected to be a formality. It is unclear if San Franciso will intensify its efforts to re-sign Smith now that Manning won't be signing with the team.

The 49ers had been working to re-sign Smith but also went to North Carolina last Tuesday to watch Manning work out at Duke. Smith, the No. 1 overall 2005 draft pick, enjoyed his best season in 2011 under first-year 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback.

Smith and Manning have the same agent, Tom Condon.

The San Francisco Chronicle, citing a league source, is reporting that Smith is considering changing agents because of a possible conflict of interest.

"This is the NFL. I guess nothing surprises me anymore," Smith told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Sunday.

"I never thought a year ago (Peyton) Manning would be a free agent either," Smith told the newspaper. "I'm never surprised by anything."

The 49ers emerged as a contender for Manning when the news surfaced that he worked out for Harbaugh at Duke. Manning also worked out for the Broncos on Friday at Duke, and for the Titans on Saturday in Knoxville, Tenn.

Manning has been rehabbing in North Carolina following a string of neck surgeries, which led Indianapolis to release him.

A new starting quarterback would be the Dolphins' 17th since Dan Marino retired following the 1999 season. Winless in postseason since 2000, they made signing Manning their top offseason priority, but he told them Thursday he would sign elsewhere.

They then courted Flynn, the former Green Bay Packers backup who had ties to new Dolphins coach Joe Philbin. Flynn visited Miami on Saturday, then agreed to terms Sunday on a multiyear deal with the Seattle Seahawks.

Flynn's contract with Seattle is worth $26 million with $10 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Dolphins planned another QB interview Monday, when they were to host veteran David Garrard, a person familiar with the negotiations said. The person confirmed the visit to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team had not publicly discussed its plans.

Garrard, a starter for Jacksonville from 2005 to 2010, didn't play last season. He was released five days before the opener by the Jaguars, then underwent back surgery in October.

After all of their shopping, it's possible the Dolphins will stick with incumbent Matt Moore.

"Looks like Miami (is) going with Moore again," former Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson tweeted after Flynn's deal with Seattle was announced.

While Moore played well last year, there are doubts he's a franchise quarterback.

Smith struggled early in his career but threw for 3,150 yards and 17 touchdowns with only five interceptions last season as San Francisco went 13-3 and made the NFC title game after an eight-year playoff drought. He orchestrated six comeback wins, four on the road.

Smith has been weighing a three-year offer from the 49ers. If he instead joins the Dolphins, he would be reunited with running back Reggie Bush. They were teammates at Helix Charter High School in La Mesa, Calif.

He landed at the Fort Lauderdale airport Sunday morning and arrived at the Dolphins complex in a car driven by trainer Kevin O'Neill. Philbin, new offensive coordinator Mike Sherman and general manager Jeff Ireland arrived earlier.

Chad Henne, who started 31 games for Miami over the past three seasons, signed Wednesday with the Jaguars as a backup.

San Francisco running back Frank Gore, who works out each offseason in Miami, said Sunday he hadn't spoken to Smith. Gore has long supported Smith through the quarterback's up-and-down seven NFL seasons.

Now, Gore and the 49ers are sitting tight to see what happens next.

"It's crazy," Gore said. "I'm waiting for whatever happens. I know coach Harbaugh and (general manager) Trent Baalke feel good about what they're doing."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Alex Smith - QB - 49ers NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the 49ers' offer of $24 million over three years to free agent Alex Smith remains on the table.

GRRRR!!!!
angrymccain.jpg

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw not to long ago on NFL network that Alex Smith has left Miami and is on his way back to San Fran. But that do not have any meetings scheduled with him today. So sounds like if anything gets done it won't be until tomorrow.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The proposal has not been "lowered or revoked." La Canfora also reports that team sources are "confident" Smith will re-sign with San Francisco. Smith's visit and flirtation with the Dolphins are reportedly being viewed as "a play for leverage" by NFL insiders. In other words, Miami might have to offer significantly more than $8 million per season in order to land Smith.

If Smith honestly thought he was going to get Baalke & Marathe to up the ante because of a visit to Miami then he is truly delusional.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the 49ers did not change Alex's contract, then kudos to Baalke and Paraag.

It's good that they made an offer to Smith, and stood pat, and had a take it or leave it attitude.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's more about this being the first time Alex has been a free agent. Why not take advantage and see what free agency has to offer. Unfortunately for him, he's competing with Manning, so of course he takes a back seat to that circus carousel.
He also sees his value in regards to Flynns contract. So my bet is he takes SF offer unles MIA goes way overboard.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's more about this being the first time Alex has been a free agent. Why not take advantage and see what free agency has to offer. Unfortunately for him, he's competing with Manning, so of course he takes a back seat to that circus carousel.
He also sees his value in regards to Flynns contract. So my bet is he takes SF offer unles MIA goes way overboard.

It definitely shows this is Alex's first time as a free agent.

He's totally blowing it.

He should have started shopping himself day one of free agency, before all teams except Miami and Cleveland had QBs.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, that is what he hired the premier agent in the entire industry to do. I suppose that shouldn't stop you from unloading a few broadsides on Smith though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
which baffles me...

I did not know the dolphins are serious players in the AFC East nor that they made significant upgrades. Their #1 WR is no longer there and the HC is new.

Why would Alex leave now, out of all times?

Because it's the first time in his career that he may actually have another team interested in him. I have always been a Smith supporter and think things could have gone differently if we had handled his situation different but I hadn't realized how willing I was to let him go until I read this. I see no reason CK can't match or leap Smith's numbers from last season.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Souce: Smith is indeed upset over lack of loyalty by 49ers

I don't want to dismiss Smith's feelings because he's human and probably any of us would feel the same in his shoes.

But cmon man, it's the NFL and you know it's a cold hearted business were winning and performance take center stage.

It's not like they were going after a marginal QB like Henne, Quinn, Orton, or Campbell. They were going for a 1st ballot HOF and one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Not to mention you've had a fair offer on the table for a while now and you didn't sign it so it's your own fault for not signing it and leaving a door open for the team to look elsewhere. Ok so it's not as much as Sanchez or Fitz got but it's still more than a fair deal because it's not like you lit it up out there or anything.

It's nothing personal, just business so sign the offer that's on the table and move on like nothing's happened. Come out with a vengeance and prove them wrong on the field.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear Alex:
Is this real? Do you really want to act like a resentful, whiny little bitch just because anyone with a brain understands that Peyton is a better QB than you? Look, Alex, I like you as a person, but it is decision time. Either you can continue to cry like a little girl and sign as a BACKUP somewhere else, or you can man the f*** up, come back to SF, and show everyone you are worth the $24 million Baalke has offered you. I mean, you already made $40 million off your last contract. Do you really need more? If the problem is that you feel you can't trust the Front Office then take a 1 year deal and see if you can find a better market for your services next offseason, but you won't find a starting job elsewhere this season because you've wasted time having your thumbs up your *** expecting the Niners to fall all over you because you had 1 good season. Get over yourself. If you deserve it, job security will come in time. Come back and prove to us that this isn't another fluke like 2007, or get lost so we can see what we have with CK.

Either way, stop with this childish "-sniffle- You huurt mah fee-wings" bull crap.

Sincerely,
A fan

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well now that the stupid Dolphins signed Garrard, there are only 2 teams in the NFL whose QB situations are not resolved. And the Browns can draft Tannehill. This should drive the price for Alex WAY down.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with the take it or leave it crowd, I felt that the 49ers needed Smith last year because of the lack of a real offseason... and I didn't want CK to start as a rookie. But the team doesn't need him this year and may even improve if CK hits the ground running in his 2nd season.