• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ACC Thread

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, once Duke and UNC complete their recruiting we get the leftovers but at least the leftovers have been pretty good players in recent years. We need to grow more claws.

Just goes to show you how important coaching is. You get players motivated good things happen. Also, some players play with a chip on their shoulders since they might not have been recruited by Duke or UNC

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gd it

what are the pack doing?

@tomcat1

Man, that was an awful loss at home last night! No excuses, just an awful loss.

I will be cheering for all of the ACC teams that get invited to the big dance except for Carolina.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just goes to show you how important coaching is. You get players motivated good things happen. Also, some players play with a chip on their shoulders since they might not have been recruited by Duke or UNC

You make a great point!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a great point!

I mean if you play in the State of North Carolina and it's not for those 2 teams you're probably slightly upset and want to stick it to both said schools

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if you play in the State of North Carolina and it's not for those 2 teams you're probably slightly upset and want to stick it to both said schools

Danny Manning has signed more 4* and 5* than 3* at Wake Forest

recruiting @ Wake and NCSU is not an issue. NCSU hasn't had a good coach since Valvano. Wake hasn't had a good coach since Prosser (Gaudio did have a very pretty record)

that is the problem

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Manning has signed more 4* and 5* than 3* at Wake Forest

recruiting @ Wake and NCSU is not an issue. NCSU hasn't had a good coach since Valvano. Wake hasn't had a good coach since Prosser (Gaudio did have a very pretty record)

that is the problem

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Even when we had Valvano his ACC regular season record was not all that good and he rarely beat Duke or UNC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no matter who coaches NC State or Wake Forest, they will not compete with Duke or UNC until Coach K and ole Roy retire because their two programs recruit the horses and we recruit the colts and it has been this way for many years with only a few exceptions.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both Duke and UNC have a recruiting system like very few teams in the nation can match and it's been this way for many years. They get the best of the best out of high school most of the time and this is why Duke vs. UNC has been and remains the best rivalry in all of college basketball. They don't recruit, they just reload consistently.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Even when we had Valvano his ACC regular season record was not all that good and he rarely beat Duke or UNC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no matter who coaches NC State or Wake Forest, they will not compete with Duke or UNC until Coach K and ole Roy retire because their two programs recruit the horses and we recruit the colts and it has been this way for many years with only a few exceptions.

no one competes with UNC or Duke on a year to year basis, with the exception of UVa, so your bar is way too high. i'm still in my 20s and i have seen the Deacs compete with UNC and Duke when Skip Prosser/Dino Gaudio/Dave Odom was the coach. Prosser + Odom never out-recruited the blues. They just built a solid program which enabled them to compete with the blues at various points in their respective tenures.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one competes with UNC or Duke on a year to year basis, with the exception of UVa, so your bar is way too high. i'm still in my 20s and i have seen the Deacs compete with UNC and Duke when Skip Prosser/Dino Gaudio/Dave Odom was the coach. Prosser + Odom never out-recruited the blues. They just built a solid program which enabled them to compete with the blues at various points in their respective tenures.

I'm talking about consistency! Yes, Virginia has come into the picture in recent years and they are right there with Duke and UNC right now. Yes, both NC State and Wake Forest have competed with the blues for short periods of time but not consistently for any long period of time. Your key words 'various points' is what I'm talking about.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about consistency! Yes, Virginia has come into the picture in recent years and they are right there with Duke and UNC right now. Yes, both NC State and Wake Forest have competed with the blues for short periods of time but not consistently for any long period of time. Your key words 'various points' is what I'm talking about.

i mean, no one is going to compete with UNC and Duke on a yearly basis with the exception of UK and Kansas. Not even Michigan State would be able to do it.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we ready for a prediction?

Saturday's games for NC St and Clemson will have some meaning, but the winner of the 8-9
matchup in the ACC Tourney (NC St-Clemson) is in the NCAA's. The loser to the NIT.

I can't see them selecting only 7 ACC teams for the NCAA's. Losing to Ga Tech really hurt
NC St. If they could have gotten that win, plus @ BC on Saturday, they might have been able
to lose the 8-9 match-up and get in the tourney. If Clemson handles Syracuse at home and wins
the 8-9 game of the tourney they'll be in.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean, no one is going to compete with UNC and Duke on a yearly basis with the exception of UK and Kansas. Not even Michigan State would be able to do it.

You made my point about UNC and Duke and I've given you solid reasons why.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
f8465a42622c07f46ceb841c66cbd114.320x160x21.gif

Duke at Carolina - Zion is an 11am announcement tomorrow as to whether he plays!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we ready for a prediction?

Saturday's games for NC St and Clemson will have some meaning, but the winner of the 8-9
matchup in the ACC Tourney (NC St-Clemson) is in the NCAA's. The loser to the NIT.

I can't see them selecting only 7 ACC teams for the NCAA's. Losing to Ga Tech really hurt
NC St. If they could have gotten that win, plus @ BC on Saturday, they might have been able
to lose the 8-9 match-up and get in the tourney. If Clemson handles Syracuse at home and wins
the 8-9 game of the tourney they'll be in.

I'll take a stab at your question which is probably worth about as much as a cup of coffee and a donut.

First of all, a lot of politics goes on behind closed doors when the committee meets to select the 68 teams that will be invited to the big dance. We know that every year certain teams get in that shouldn't get in and certain teams are left out that shouldn't be left out.

In my opinion if NC State lays an egg at Boston College tomorrow they are out no matter what they do against Clemson in the ACC Tournament. If NC State wins at Boston College tomorrow I still think they have to beat Clemson in the ACC Tournament to get back on the bubble which will put their fate into the hands of the committee. With that said, I think conference tournaments next week all over the nation will also be a determining factor on the fate of NC State also.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
f8465a42622c07f46ceb841c66cbd114.320x160x21.gif

Duke at Carolina - Zion is an 11am announcement tomorrow as to whether he plays!

How will you be voting? Would you prefer to have Zion in the starting lineup at UNC to try to prevent UNC from sweeping the regular season series or would you prefer to have Zion fresh and healed more for the ACC Tournament? Before you answer think about the big picture and the ultimate goal.

This should be an easy question for you since you are the family trivial pursuit champion three years running.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How will you be voting? Would you prefer to have Zion in the starting lineup at UNC to try to prevent UNC from sweeping the regular season series or would you prefer to have Zion fresh and healed more for the ACC Tournament? Before you answer think about the big picture and the ultimate goal.

This should be an easy question for you since you are the family trivial pursuit champion three years running.

Hey, I know all about "big picture", but anytime Duke can beat UNC I'd rather see it. I want him 100% too, but all who play sports have played hurt to some extent so we all know the deal. If he's that close to getting in the game then he's playing in my book.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I know all about "big picture", but anytime Duke can beat UNC I'd rather see it. I want him 100% too, but all who play sports have played hurt to some extent so we all know the deal. If he's that close to getting in the game then he's playing in my book.

Somehow I thought that would be your answer and actually I agree with you.

You know, it's kind of sad that during Zion's brief career at Duke he only got to play a few games at Cameron in front of the home crowd but as a fan of college basketball I want to see Zion play as much as possible in the few games he has left with Duke anywhere he plays.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news? We beat Miami on Senior Night giving us our most conference wins since 1996 and will be the 5th seed in the ACC Tournament.

The bad news? Justin Robinson is still hurt and will not be available for the ACC Tournament. :L :L :L

This season is so bittersweet. Most successful we've been in a long time but we could have been real contenders to win if not for Robinson's injury or even losing both Clarke and Nolley due to off the court circumstances.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news? We beat Miami on Senior Night giving us our most conference wins since 1996 and will be the 5th seed in the ACC Tournament.

The bad news? Justin Robinson is still hurt and will not be available for the ACC Tournament. :L :L :L

This season is so bittersweet. Most successful we've been in a long time but we could have been real contenders to win if not for Robinson's injury or even losing both Clarke and Nolley due to off the court circumstances.

Virginia Tech has had a very good season, that's for sure.