• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 49ers biggest allies: Rain and Wind

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't understand your point.

sorry, was trying to say you're addressing something different from his point? he took a big picture approach which i agree with, but you only took a part of his big picture and picked that. so if i just read your 'part' alone, i agree too.

but how can i agree on both points? because its not really the same thing. ahhh, forget it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, as we see weather effects everything. I'd like to beat them because we're better, not because of weather. And if we lose because they're better, I won't be coming on here wishing the weather was worse. Having to choose the two, however, I'd choose the win with lucky weather over the fair weather loss, of course. I'm not THAT principled. I don't believe in may the best man win. I believe in may my team win and I hope it's because we're better (assuming no bad call victory).

Ugg... I made the affects v. effects screw-up! (And I wanted you all to notice)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahhh ok, if they stack the box again, then we'll have to pass more. doesn't need to be so vertical, but lets not force the run against a stacked box.

why don't we throw more slants? we don't have a WR who's good at it? not one of Alex's better throws? or combination thereof? Alex's first past Saturday was a slant to Crabtree. cause this route is almost impossible for a CB to defend?

I don't see the Giants stacking the box again, not after their loss in November and how Alex threw Saturday. There will be running lanes this time.

We do throw slants. You may remember Crabtree catching one for a TD Saturday in the first quarter...and there was an inconsequential one to VD with 9 seconds left....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, was trying to say you're addressing something different from his point? he took a big picture approach which i agree with, but you only took a part of his big picture and picked that. so if i just read your 'part' alone, i agree too.

but how can i agree on both points? because its not really the same thing. ahhh, forget it.

Pearls before swine, brah....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see the Giants stacking the box again, not after their loss in November and how Alex threw Saturday. There will be running lanes this time.

We do throw slants. You may remember Crabtree catching one for a TD Saturday in the first quarter...and there was an inconsequential one to VD with 9 seconds left....

the very first pass was a slant to Crabtree, bet no one expected that call?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, as we see weather effects everything. I'd like to beat them because we're better, not because of weather. And if we lose because they're better, I won't be coming on here wishing the weather was worse. Having to choose the two, however, I'd choose the win with lucky weather over the fair weather loss, of course. I'm not THAT principled. I don't believe in may the best man win. I believe in may my team win and I hope it's because we're better (assuming no bad call victory).

Just to clarify with my statements that you quoted, I was thinking about the 1997 NFC Championship where it was chilly, overcast and slightly raining... Brett Favre seemed mostly unaffected while Young's passes seemed to lose some zip.

With the cold and wet sucking out the energy, I only meant the fans. Since they're sort of stuck in their seats and not moving a whole lot. Those games where the weather sucks, it is never really that loud, and no where near as loud as the Stick was last Saturday. So, I'd much rather see the 49ers have the advantage of loud fans than the advantages people see in wind/rain.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify with my statements that you quoted, I was thinking about the 1997 NFC Championship where it was chilly, overcast and slightly raining... Brett Favre seemed mostly unaffected while Young's passes seemed to lose some zip.

With the cold and wet sucking out the energy, I only meant the fans. Since they're sort of stuck in their seats and not moving a whole lot. Those games where the weather sucks, it is never really that loud, and no where near as loud as the Stick was last Saturday. So, I'd much rather see the 49ers have the advantage of loud fans than the advantages people see in wind/rain.

Totally agree, I just strung those quotes together to show that weather isn't one dimensional, it can help and hurt a team, home or away, from the crowd to the grip, to the projectory, t the catch, and to the run. The only way to ensure you win is to be better and play better than the other team. All this hoping for bad weather is a small insult to our team. We should be able to beat them without help or it doesn't matter as much. I'll take the home field advantage because they earned it. No one earned the weather (though I guess we did earn the right to not be in a dome against the Saints). Having said that, if we've built our team to withstand weather of that sort, more power to us, but we should be built to address the strengths of our opponent should the weather not be cooperative, as well.

But I'd take a win over a loss even if it were tainted (not by referees).

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

the very first pass was a slant to Crabtree, bet no one expected that call?

Did someboday actually call Vernon Davis' catch with nine seconds left a "slant"? LOL! Oh wait, never mind.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Disagree again. A wet field is an advantage to the receiver who knows where he is going whereas the defender who is trying to react will be slower or perhaps slip down. As for a sloppy field helping the running game; I believe it hurts the running team who can't get traction for cuts and forward movement.

But you're forgetting QB accuracy and those pin point passes become far more difficult to accomplish in bad weather. And the deeper the pass the more likely the wind is going to affect where it lands.

It's not as huge a factor for our passing game compared to the Giants because the we favor more of a short passing game whereas the Giants favor deeper passes and big plays than we do.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But you're forgetting QB accuracy and those pin point passes become far more difficult to accomplish in bad weather. And the deeper the pass the more likely the wind is going to affect where it lands.

It's not as huge a factor for our passing game compared to the Giants because the we favor more of a short passing game whereas the Giants favor deeper passes and big plays than we do.

I agree that the Giants have the advantage in bad weather with the stronger-armed, more accurate passer. But that is what I've been saying all along, that bad weather is not the 49er's friend.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That was by choice if you recall. The Giants were expecting us to run, run, run and stacked the box. We threw all day, to everyone's surprise. I think this time around we use a lot more Hunter and run more than the 20 times we did in November.

This.

What makes Harbaugh and company brilliant and part of the reason we're successful is not just Xs and Os but their strategic ability. They find flaws, cracks, and weaknesses in a team than exploit it to it's maximum potential. Not to get off topic too much but this is the main reason I felt we lost the Ravens game was due to the lack of time to prepare.

The staff as in the case of the Giants game before gets inside the mind of it's opponent and than calls the game based on what we're guessing the opponent was thinking.

The Giants were absolutely convinced we were going to slam them with the run so instead of slamming up against a brick wall like we would in the Singletary days we hit them heavily with passes which caught them off guard and by the time it donned on them it was too late.

Harbaugh and staff are very Alexander The Great and Sun Tzu in their thinking. It's not about beating your opponent through sheer force but deception, clever tactics, maximizing strengths, and minimizing weaknesses.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note Eli has a stomach bug hopefully it stays in his system for the week

Wow. How the hell you get 20.7K rep points on 14-15K posts? (Yes, I know, not by starting posts with "how the hell...") Now, that's efficient. At my rate, I'd only have 1540 if I posted 14.8K times.

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow. How the hell you get 20.7K rep points on 14-15K posts? (Yes, I know, not by starting posts with "how the hell...") Now, that's efficient. At my rate, I'd only have 1540 if I posted 14.8K times.

How you begin posts makes a difference as to how many rep points you receive???...I have no idea how those things work...

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How you begin posts makes a difference as to how many rep points you receive???...I have no idea how those things work...
It doesn't make sense. I know my posts are thought-provoking, insightful and flowing with knowledge but I jumped from 101 to 579 in a week? Come on now. Somebody's playing around.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It doesn't make sense. I know my posts are thought-provoking, insightful and flowing with knowledge but I jumped from 101 to 579 in a week? Come on now. Somebody's playing around.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

579?????????

wtf??????

i've been surpassed!

**must post more sexy women pics**