• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just wondering if anyone has tried it for a year and was it worth it. Do they offer all the games.
So there are 2 things -the MLB channel which sometimes plays fames or the MLB APP which wiki can buy a subscription to get games and yes blackouts are a factor and they even black out Ranger games in Houston but play those late night west coast games

Bally via parent company is going bankrupt However the Dallas market does not look to be immediately affected
Short version is the easiest current way to see Rangers if local is via Bally.

Eventually the MLB will absorb everything I til another package is sold

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there are 2 things -the MLB channel which sometimes plays fames or the MLB APP which wiki can buy a subscription to get games and yes blackouts are a factor and they even black out Ranger games in Houston but play those late night west coast games

Bally via parent company is going bankrupt However the Dallas market does not look to be immediately affected
Short version is the easiest current way to see Rangers if local is via Bally.

Eventually the MLB will absorb everything I til another package is sold
The last I heard the Rangers were trying to exit the Bally contract and not wait for bankruptcy.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note -yesterday I watched the game on the app but it allowed me to use the radio audio. Pretty cool

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last I heard the Rangers were trying to exit the Bally contract and not wait for bankruptcy.
I heard that too but they have not defaulted payment yet. Think that precludes things for now. Actually not a big fan of the broadcast so would love to see them clean house

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some OPS for the spring so far.

.868 - Ezequiel Duran
.931 - Josh Smith
1.025 - Sam Huff
1.135 - Josh Jung
Here are some final Spring Training OPS.

1.104 - Ezequiel Duran
.985 - Josh Smith
.996 - Sam Huff
.968 - Josh Jung

The more at bats these guys get this year, the better. Trade Garver and keep Miller on the bench for the most part.

Granted, Huff's was an extremely small sample size, but impressive nonetheless. He can go down and wait to see if Heim struggles again. Heim had good numbers in the spring as well

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that too but they have not defaulted payment yet. Think that precludes things for now. Actually not a big fan of the broadcast so would love to see them clean house
Yeah, that's what I mean. The Rangers don't want to wait around until they default, they want out from under the deal now. Interesting to see where that goes.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's a comedian in every crowd. Lol

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some final Spring Training OPS.

1.104 - Ezequiel Duran
.985 - Josh Smith
.996 - Sam Huff
.968 - Josh Jung

The more at bats these guys get this year, the better. Trade Garver and keep Miller on the bench for the most part.

Granted, Huff's was an extremely small sample size, but impressive nonetheless. He can go down and wait to see if Heim struggles again. Heim had good numbers in the spring as well
Well to me that is best but they are in win now mode and they think the vets help them best.
I am more interested in development for next year. Do think these guys can do that at the MLB level if have more reps.

Really think Smith is pegged as the utility guy and won’t start regularly unless Seager is injured

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to me that is best but they are in win now mode and they think the vets help them best.
I am more interested in development for next year. Do think these guys can do that at the MLB level if have more reps.

Really think Smith is pegged as the utility guy and won’t start regularly unless Seager is injured
I think the thinking coming into camp was that Smith was a utility guy and Duran needed to go down to the minors. I believe smith and Duran changed some minds. We will see if it was all of the right minds that were changed, but the last two lineups seemed to suggest that those minds were changed.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but they are in win now mode and they think the vets help them best
Those two things seem to contradict each other. More Duran and Smith and less Miller and Garver means more winning now, or so it seems.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thinking coming into camp was that Smith was a utility guy and Duran needed to go down to the minors. I believe smith and Duran changed some minds. We will see if it was all of the right minds that were changed, but the last two lineups seemed to suggest that those minds were changed.
I think Duran starts LF on Thursday and Garver DHs. They won’t play both

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two things seem to contradict each other. More Duran and Smith and less Miller and Garver means more winning now, or so it seems.
Rangers are not ready to bail yet and Smoth and Duran provide insurance in case of injury.

But yes I do hope they unload Garver. I don’t mind giving him 30 days to see how he does and the team does and just sit Miller
It will take some magic to make the playoffs and the pitching night SP and pen will have to be strong and consistent.

Less one run losses lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Perez's outing today?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Perez's outing today?
From MLB. could not see daygame

Pérez, Gray work overtime

The Rangers only used two pitchers in the spring finale against the Royals, and both needed extra work before their days were done.
Starter Martín Pérez allowed one run on two hits and one walk to go with five strikeouts in five innings. He was relieved by Jon Gray, who allowed two runs on three hits and one walk with seven strikeouts in four innings.

Pérez threw about 15 pitches in the bullpen after his 70 in the game, then Gray stayed on the mound and faced Rangers hitters for about 10 minutes, after he threw only 61 pitches in the game.

Looks like extra work needed to stretch arms out. Both gave up a HR but each generated strikeouts

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB. could not see daygame

Pérez, Gray work overtime

The Rangers only used two pitchers in the spring finale against the Royals, and both needed extra work before their days were done.
Starter Martín Pérez allowed one run on two hits and one walk to go with five strikeouts in five innings. He was relieved by Jon Gray, who allowed two runs on three hits and one walk with seven strikeouts in four innings.

Pérez threw about 15 pitches in the bullpen after his 70 in the game, then Gray stayed on the mound and faced Rangers hitters for about 10 minutes, after he threw only 61 pitches in the game.

Looks like extra work needed to stretch arms out. Both gave up a HR but each generated strikeouts
Thanks Kell. Sounds like they are getting close to form.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting schedule coming up fast.

opening day is well…..opening day

Saturday afternoon on fox

sunday night on espn

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting schedule coming up fast.

opening day is well…..opening day

Saturday afternoon on fox

sunday night on espn
Being able to watch all 3 games will be challenging. I have cleared space for opening day and Sunday night I generally keep open

Have to start working on Saturday. Bet I can do radio

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made sure I’m not missing opening day. I always try to be in front of the tv for that one.