• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2021 PGA Championship at the Ocean Course Kiawah Island.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt.

I like Brooks... probably more because he can just bring it like it does for Majors when it's clear he doesn't have near that drive for other tournaments. But I don't think he is a fan favorite lol

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of his for some reason. Something about him just irks me. His dad is great! Met him at the Dell Technologies Championship (now Northern Trust).

Just a FYI - Always, talk nicely about a golfer to people you don't know... "Man, that guy can crush the heck out the ball!" "I know, he's my son!"

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hope that catch the fans who were swinging a Koepka knees with sticks and clubs.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't ever recall a crowd not allowing the competitors some distance. Even Tiger in 2019. The course lost control of the crowd and that deserves criticism.

There's very little the course officials can do about it if that many people decide not to heed their instructions to back off. I think the pandemic has something to to with people being extra exuberant now.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's very little the course officials can do about it if that many people decide not to heed their instructions to back off. I think the pandemic has something to to with people being extra exuberant now.
None of this was an accident.

Do you really think that the PGA, CBS Production crew & the facilitates management of the course did not have a meeting Saturday night
and plan out exactly what they wanted to happen if Phil was winning when they got to 18?

Few things are as Iconic and "Must watch TV" than crowds rushing around an 18 green. That is worth millions to CBS for years to come.
They could have stopped the crowds at 18 by have lots of extra ropes and using the hundreds of volunteers that had on hand.

But they purposely make it look spontaneous by not having enough staff and with no ropes.

It was all planned to a tee (pun intended)

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again I'd suggest watching how the Masters managed it in 2019. Is Phil winning more dramatic than Tiger's comeback? Methinks not. Both up there in golf history though.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of this was an accident.

Do you really think that the PGA, CBS Production crew & the facilitates management of the course did not have a meeting Saturday night
and plan out exactly what they wanted to happen if Phil was winning when they got to 18?

Few things are as Iconic and "Must watch TV" than crowds rushing around an 18 green. That is worth millions to CBS for years to come.
They could have stopped the crowds at 18 by have lots of extra ropes and using the hundreds of volunteers that had on hand.

But they purposely make it look spontaneous by not having enough staff and with no ropes.

It was all planned to a tee (pun intended)

That is not the first time I've seen that on 18, though I can't tell you exactly when. No, I don't think it was intended. Holding that crowd back would have called for a heavy law enforcement presence. A bunch of volunteers was not going to do it.

Someone mentioned Tiger in 19. I assume that was referring to his last Masters win. But galleries at Augusta are an entirely different matter. They demand good behavior there and will toss someone out in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I'd suggest watching how the Masters managed it in 2019. Is Phil winning more dramatic than Tiger's comeback? Methinks not. Both up there in golf history though.

See my previous. Augusta gallery behavioral standards <> anywhere else. A mod at a golf board I used to run worked the Masters every year and would post a daily diary about his experiences. They put up with no nonsense at Augusta from their "patrons" from Tuesday - Sunday.

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 years old.

I say it is.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tiger always has a puncher's chance at Augusta. So does Phil, ftm. Because it's Augusta and they know it like the back of their hand. But they don't play Kiawah every year and it's one of the toughest layouts on the planet. Phil's win was at least as dramatic and it was more impressive imo.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 years old.

I say it is.

Tiger always has a puncher's chance at Augusta. So does Phil, ftm. Because it's Augusta and they know it like the back of their hand. But they don't play Kiawah every year and it's one of the toughest layouts on the planet. Phil's win was at least as dramatic and more impressive imo.

Valid points. For me it wasn't but can certainly see the argument otherwise.

Even with that aside the initial point Koepka made was on point. Whether you like him or not. Waz you mentioned Augusta doesn't play around...well it's far better to be proactive on this stuff then have an incident that you have to overreact to and strip away some of the allure of golf with the crowd being a part of the action.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valid points. For me it wasn't but can certainly see the argument otherwise.

Even with that aside the initial point Koepka made was on point. Whether you like him or not. Waz you mentioned Augusta doesn't play around...well it's far better to be proactive on this stuff then have an incident that you have to overreact to and strip away some of the allure of golf with the crowd being a part of the action.

I think they're a bunch of self-important stuffed shirts, but I agree with the way Augusta manages their galleries.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger always has a puncher's chance at Augusta. So does Phil, ftm. Because it's Augusta and they know it like the back of their hand. But they don't play Kiawah every year and it's one of the toughest layouts on the planet. Phil's win was at least as dramatic and it was more impressive imo.
I still think his British Open was by far his greatest accomplishment.

Phil's "gambler" mentality is the complete opposite of what you need to win on a links course. He knew it.
So he started to play the Scottish open the week before the Open, just to get the right mindset for a links Course.

He went way outside his comfort zone to win that ....that is why I think it was his best win of all.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think his British Open was by far his greatest accomplishment.
Phil's "gambler" mentality is the complete opposite of what you need to win on a links course. He knew it.
So he started to play the Scottish open the week before the Open, just to get the right mindset for a links Course.

He went way outside his comfort zone to win that ....that is why I think it was his best win of all.

Maybe, though he did have a couple of top 3s at The Open before his win. Phil is also still quite long so I'm not sure why his age should matter all that much as long as that's the case.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're a bunch of self-important stuffed shirts, but I agree with the way Augusta manages their galleries.

To a point I guess ...But Augusta demands that 58 minutes of every hour show golf coverage and only 2 minutes of commercials.
They pay CBS millions to make up for the lost ad revenue to do that.

Nobody does that but Augusta

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. How the heck do you hit a 2nd shot like that (on 14?) and half swing and hit it into the water?

Easy for me to say, I've never played with that much pressure put on me
I think that was 13 but going far left wouldn't have been much of a picnic either with the pin placement. That hole was brutal.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was 13 but going far left wouldn't have been much of a picnic either with the pin placement. That hole was brutal.

No it wouldn't have but it would have atleast put the water out of play

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wouldn't have but it would have atleast put the water out of play
maybe/maybe not. You miss left and end up in the collection area you got a long pitch into a flag right by the hazard you tried to avoid the last stroke. Better than putting it in the water but a real tough up and down. And he didn't lose a stroke there either. Koepka bogey'd the hole as well and Oos doubled it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe/maybe not. You miss left and end up in the collection area you got a long pitch into a flag right by the hazard you tried to avoid the last stroke. Better than putting it in the water but a real tough up and down. And he didn't lose a stroke there either. Koepka bogey'd the hole as well and Oos doubled it.

It could have been a true disaster had it not crossed where it did however

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am not a huge fan of his for some reason. Something about him just irks me. His dad is great! Met him at the Dell Technologies Championship (now Northern Trust).

Just a FYI - Always, talk nicely about a golfer to people you don't know... "Man, that guy can crush the heck out the ball!" "I know, he's my son!"
He is one of my two favorites. Love the way he plays big in the big events. I was surprised to see him collapse in the 4th round yesterday. he seems to do just enough to get beat in the last few Majors.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. -- Brooks Koepka wasn't simply sore about bad putting that cost him a chance at his third PGA Championship win and fifth major title. He was sore about his injured right knee, which he had to protect and yet still got hit a few times as fans engulfed him and eventual winner Phil Mickelson in a raucous, at times scary, scene in the 18th fairway at the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island.

"Yeah it would have been cool if I didn't have a knee injury," he said of the scene at the last hole, with fans eager to congratulate Mickelson, 50, as he became the oldest major champion in golf history. "Got dinged a few times in the knee in that crowd because no one really gave a s---, personally. But if I was fine, yeah, it would have been cool. It's cool for Phil. But getting dinged a few times isn't exactly my idea of fun."
Sounds a little sour-grape-ish to me. But I was one of the few pulling for Koepka. Can't feel sorry for him though. he could not get it done when it counted this time. His 4 over score on the first 3 par 5s of the day was a killer. Can't choke like that in the clutch.