• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2016 Cap and AP

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But others are doing the insulting, right? Your just a sad, angry, mentally ill, bull shitter with no life that will never be taken seriously. I do feel sorry for you, but since you bring it on yourself I get passed that...

Oh STFU, you're probably the biggest hypocrite on this board, no, you are the biggest hypocrite here.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such language...don't make me get the bar of soap out...

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be just as glad to see them select Gurley in this draft over trading for AP, if AP was unavailable or unobtainable for whatever reasons. Just would prefer a RB that is ready to go now and more proven and seasoned with the pro game. You are asking a lot however of any young player to step in immediately and handle (and perform well) a wide variety of blitzing schemes and offensive schemes never seen before, so early in their careers.

All you "draft-do-gooders", and the "we can never go wrong with a draft pick" pipe smokers on this board, think you have all the answers here with some secret little mystery switch that can just select the greatest NFL running back of all time just because you like the kid, or their OL will "carry" any RB from this draft, need a reality check. What if one or two of their OLmen gets injured over the course of a long season? ....which is certainly a good possibility. What about Felix Jones drafted in the 1st round and now trying to beg his way back into the league?? You clowns think you have all the answers now?

Talk about "dreamers"

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this does is confirm my feelings about how little you board-hacks here really know and understand about this game. It's just a daily meeting place for all the girls here to chat and reinforce their silly narrow-minded beliefs together in their own little world and inner-circle...the "young and the restless" on spottshoopla, nothing more.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this does is confirm my feelings about how little you board-hacks here really know and understand about this game. It's just a daily meeting place for all the girls here to chat and reinforce their silly narrow-minded beliefs together in their own little world and inner-circle...the "young and the restless" on spottshoopla, nothing more.
You would do better to research the benefit of restructuring Romo's contract this year rather than blast others for the lack of understanding you perceive them to have.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, this is such a total joke. I'm sorry, but trading for AP would be flat out dumb, no matter how you slice it.

AP just turned 30 years old. Here are some statistical FACTS on great RB's at the age of 30...

Barry Sanders- Best season 2097 yards 6.0 ypc....30 year old season- 1491 and 4.3
Eric Dickerson-Best season 2105/5.6......677/4.1
Emmitt Smith- Best season 1773/4.7.... 1397 4.2
Earl Campbell- Best season 1934/5.2.... 643/4.1
Tony Dorsett- Best season 1646/4.8..... 1189/3.9
Marshall Faulk-Best season 1382/5.3..... 818/3.9
Shaun Alexander-Best season 1880/5.2.... 716/3.5
Ladainian Tomlinson-Best season 1815/5.2.... 730/3.3
Thurman Thomas-Best season 1487/4.8....1033/3.7
Terrell Davis-Best season-2008/5.1......out of football
Herschel Walker-Best season 1514/4.2....1070/4.0

AP at 27 years old-2097/6.0....at 28 years old, 1266/4.5....

Last season, Murray ran for over 1800 yards and over 5 yards per carry, and the Cowboys let him walk. You want to trade AT LEAST a 1st round pick and pay AT LEAST $10 million/per to a RB who will be 30 years old and dropped by over 800 yards and a yard and a half per carry from age 27 to 28???

Football clueless, plain and simple

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it's not you that is clueless, it's every single other person that disagrees with your ideas that are clueless. Not only does this include the "regulars", but every single person that stops by and reads your inane ideas. Your opinions change with the wind, yet the opinion of the moment is always the only acceptable path. Like I said the other day you really are mentally ill. I know you crave the acceptance you do not get and it frustrates you. Stop acting like the biggest dick in the room and acting like a pompous know-it-all that really knows very little and maybe your life won't be a miserable pile of shit any more...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's what he always do....nothing has changed.

cue the circus music...the agenda is back in town

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
simple fact: we can't afford AP this season or next because of the cap.

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This exactly. And I dont think he has left what many think he does. He played well against us the year before last, but he got stuffed when all they needed was a first down to beat the Boys. every team except the Raiders pretty much had their way with us from a running standpoint.
In conclusion, I dont think its a prudent move.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Cowboys could - even if Peterson signed for $12M/year for 4 years with the 1st 2 years fully guaranteed, (example only). By counting $10M of the $12M each year as a signing/restructuring bonus the cap effects for keeping Peterson for 2 years then cutting him with a post May 12th designation in 2017 would be $4.5M in 2015, $7.833M in $2016, $5.833M in 2017 and $5.833M in 2018. There would be a problem in 2017 because Peterson would count as $17.833M towards the cap throughout the FA and Draft period prior to May 12th. However the team could choose to cut him before May 12th 2017 and have the combined 2017 and 2018 cap total of $11.667M count throughout the 2017 season.
It's doable but the question is whether it's prudent, especially if the Cowboys have to give up a high pick in addition to the $24M guaranteed over 2 years, (example only), for a player who might be past his best.

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Cowboys could - even if Peterson signed for $12M/year for 4 years with the 1st 2 years fully guaranteed, (example only). By counting $10M of the $12M each year as a signing/restructuring bonus the cap effects for keeping Peterson for 2 years then cutting him with a post May 12th designation in 2017 would be $4.5M in 2015, $7.833M in $2016, $5.833M in 2017 and $5.833M in 2018. There would be a problem in 2017 because Peterson would count as $17.833M towards the cap throughout the FA and Draft period prior to May 12th. However the team could choose to cut him before May 12th 2017 and have the combined 2017 and 2018 cap total of $11.667M count throughout the 2017 season.
It's doable but the question is whether it's prudent, especially if the Cowboys have to give up a high pick in addition to the $24M guaranteed over 2 years, (example only), for a player who might be past his best.

Exactly right. The cap has never stopped Jerry and company before. What we are looking at here is a 1st or at least a 2nd round pick. With the rookie wage scale 1st and 2nd round picks are more important than AP's cap number. This is the ultimate high risk scenario for the Cowboys. If it works out then great but if AP is a shadow of his former self then we gave up a valuable high pick when the odds were not in our favor. And on top of that the 12 mil we pay him in the first year would have been more than the total contract of the pick we traded. Regardless of the cap number (which I agree is doable) I believe anything above a third round pick is a mistake.
I say this living less than an hour away from Palestine, TX where he played in high school and made me sick when he went to Oklahoma. I would love to see him in Dallas but not at that cost. I am still curious to see what DMC can do and I say spend the first two picks on the defense. Still to many questions on defense for me.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right. The cap has never stopped Jerry and company before. What we are looking at here is a 1st or at least a 2nd round pick. With the rookie wage scale 1st and 2nd round picks are more important than AP's cap number. This is the ultimate high risk scenario for the Cowboys. If it works out then great but if AP is a shadow of his former self then we gave up a valuable high pick when the odds were not in our favor. And on top of that the 12 mil we pay him in the first year would have been more than the total contract of the pick we traded. Regardless of the cap number (which I agree is doable) I believe anything above a third round pick is a mistake.
I say this living less than an hour away from Palestine, TX where he played in high school and made me sick when he went to Oklahoma. I would love to see him in Dallas but not at that cost. I am still curious to see what DMC can do and I say spend the first two picks on the defense. Still to many questions on defense for me.
He is 30 years old. There has been one 30 year old RB(Tiki Barber) in NFL HISTORY that had a season with as many rushing yards as Murray had last year for Dallas. If they were going to pay a RB, why not just keep Murray. AP will never rush for 1800 again...ever

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aparently Todd Archer disagrees.
Dallas Cowboys cap space not as it seems - Dallas Cowboys Blog - ESPN

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are still talking about Jerry Jones. And as I said I don't think it is the right choice. I would like to see AP in a Cowboys uniform but that is because of his Texas ties. But don't be a fool to think that money alone is the reason AP is not on his way to Dallas. JJ is the king of manipulating the cap.

Jerry Jones, Tom Jones, Bill Jones it doesn't matter right now because without other cap saving moves the $$$ is not there to bring in AP even on a cheap contract.

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones, Tom Jones, Bill Jones it doesn't matter right now because without other cap saving moves the $$$ is not there to bring in AP even on a cheap contract.

Not sure where you are going here. I said JJ was a cap manipulator. We have seen this before. But yes you are correct today at this moment we don't have the cap space to sign AP. And I can agree with the Tom Jones and Bill Jones part as well.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you are going here. I said JJ was a cap manipulator. We have seen this before. But yes you are correct today at this moment we don't have the cap space to sign AP. And I can agree with the Tom Jones and Bill Jones part as well.

I'm coming from Jerry can't just shit money that fits under the cap. The team has oneoreove where they can find money, that's Carr. Either via pay cut or his release and Carr has already said no pay cut.

Also, I may be wrong but Jerry is not much more than a mouth piece any longer. Steven is the Cap manager/manipulator and has been for awhile now. Some think bringing Hardy in was all Jerry but I think it was more Marinelli wanting him if at all possible. Pass rush was this teams biggest problem and I'd expect Marinelli to push hard to fix his D with every available tool. Is there any doubt Murray would have been paid 8+M if Jerry was in charge?

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm coming from Jerry can't just shit money that fits under the cap. The team has oneoreove where they can find money, that's Carr. Either via pay cut or his release and Carr has already said no pay cut.

Also, I may be wrong but Jerry is not much more than a mouth piece any longer. Steven is the Cap manager/manipulator and has been for awhile now. Some think bringing Hardy in was all Jerry but I think it was more Marinelli wanting him if at all possible. Pass rush was this teams biggest problem and I'd expect Marinelli to push hard to fix his D with every available tool. Is there any doubt Murray would have been paid 8+M if Jerry was in charge?

We can cut Carr and sign Dez to help with the 13 mil he is going to count against the cap so there are ways. Again I don't think its the right move. As I said I would use the first two picks on defense IMO. Too many question marks there. How are Claiborne, Lee and we only saw a little of Lawrence coming off their injuries. If Hardy doesn't get suspended he is one bar fight from it. Is McClain going to still have the drive to play or could he retire at any time? And we need a safety. Plus I kind of liked the McFadden signing and I think going to a possible contending team will do him good. My original point was if it was just about the money I think AP would be in Dallas. You add in the draft pick to get him, being over 30, and the bad press that will come with him then I think you have the reasons why he doesn't end up here. Also you may be completely right and Jerry may not be calling the shots anymore. But I would tend to think it is probably a little more of a group decision instead of Jerry just being a mouth piece. Who knows.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can cut Carr and sign Dez to help with the 13 mil he is going to count against the cap so there are ways. Again I don't think its the right move. As I said I would use the first two picks on defense IMO. Too many question marks there. How are Claiborne, Lee and we only saw a little of Lawrence coming off their injuries. If Hardy doesn't get suspended he is one bar fight from it. Is McClain going to still have the drive to play or could he retire at any time? And we need a safety. Plus I kind of liked the McFadden signing and I think going to a possible contending team will do him good. My original point was if it was just about the money I think AP would be in Dallas. You add in the draft pick to get him, being over 30, and the bad press that will come with him then I think you have the reasons why he doesn't end up here. Also you may be completely right and Jerry may not be calling the shots anymore. But I would tend to think it is probably a little more of a group decision instead of Jerry just being a mouth piece. Who knows.

Yes we can but cutting Carr may not be the wisest move. I'm sure the team is truly hoping he takes a cut and stays in Dallas. As for Dez yes we can sign him but he has to agree to said contract.

I see what you are saying about Hardy and McClain but what happens if they play every possible game and hit on all their incentives. The team HAS to keep money in the till to pay their max possible contract. The whole idea people threw around about Hardy's cap being 3M was only based on his minimum deal and those saying 3M completely disregarded what he could make.

Not as an insult but the NFL is not Madden and deals aren't completed by simply pushing a button.

Trust me if Dallas was able to get AP for a mid to late pick and he agreed to a very low contract I'd be tickled pink to have him wear the Star. Problem is I think Minny wants at least a 1st or two 2nd's and so far AP said he's not taking a pay cut period. He never qualified that statement about if he was in Minny or elsewhere.