• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2016 Cap and AP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello to all....funny thing, I was sitting at work yesterday and was curious as to how our 2016 cap would look, as well as what it would look like if we acquired AP.

To Start with we would know that AP would want a new deal as well as Dallas would. Reason for both would be different. For AP he would want guaranteed dollars, and for Dallas they would want a lower cap number. Both sides would have to be willing to give in some to make that work. For AP he wouldn't see 14M per, and for Dallas they would see 8M per; so lets meet somewhere in the middle and take in consideration his age and his current status and go with 10M per with 20M in guarantees. A contract could easily be structured as such:

2015 1M base 6M guaranteed cap # 7M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 9M)
2016 2M base 6M guaranteed cap # 8M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 10M)
2017 3M base 6M guaranteed cap # 9M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 11M)
2018 12M base 0 guaranteed cap# 12M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 14M)
2019 14M base 0 guaranteed cap# 14M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 16M)

First 2 years fully guaranteed! Total of 5 years 50M with 21M guaranteed (total contract could be 5 years 60M), very fair contract for both sides!

Second we must look at who are the core FA's next season that are not RFA's:

1.) Dez- 8M
2.) Hardy- 8M
3.) Crawford- 4M
4.) McClain- 4M
5.) Mo Clay- 4M

Out of these 5 FA's Dez could be extended and Mo could have his option picked up, but we will act as if none of this will happen. The Number I have assigned to each player is the estimated 2016 cap hit with a new contract, and understand first year hits are usually low on core players.

Third we must look at the cap number of all players versus the projected cap of 2016 which for fun lets put it at 150M which is an increase of 7M from 2015. Our total active players are at 44 for 2016 without the addition of rookies from this years class which will make it 51 probably come 2016, which we would need to add an estimated 3M for their salaries to 2016 cap total for Active players so the total of all 51 projected active players would be 121M in 2016. If we add in another 8M for AP we would be at 129M with 52 players in 2016, this would exclude Dez and co from above. Projecting our Dez and co FA's first year cap hits into this and we go to 157M for 2016 which would be 7M over our projected cap number for 2016 with 57 total players.

We must now look at contracts that will most likely not be on the books in full or at all come 2016:

1.) Carr- cap number 13.8M savings if cut 6.5M
2.) Brinckley- cap number 4.9M savings if cut 4.25M
3.) Gachklar- cap number 3.6M savings if cut 3M

By cutting these three we open up 13.75M in cap space which would bring the projected cap to 143.5M with 54 playes on active roster with lets say an open list of 7 rookies from the 2016 class which we will add an additional 3.5M for rookies which then would bring us to about 147M with 61 total players on active roster, with no need to restructure any contracts or cut any additional players.

In other words our cap situation is very good, and the window needs to be taken advantage of now, as long as we do not cap our cap in the future which by using the above mentioned logic we would not do so, and this would allow us to move on from both AP and Romo come 2018 to add an additional 23M to the 2018 cap at that time, plenty enough to sign a top FA QB or whatever we would need.

In other words getting AP doesn't hurt us now or in the future. I am fine with it as long as we aren't giving up anymore than a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. Imagine adding a to D rookie in the first, having a back like AP, and then being able to add a player like the ASU safety Dallas likes so much in the 3rd......the cap isn't the concern here it is how much will it cost us in draft picks to add AP, that is my only concern.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't need to pay old guy big contract. He is good, but for how much longer?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't need to pay old guy big contract. He is good, but for how much longer?

He is AP I'm sure he has a good 2-3 years left in him. ONLY RB in NFL I'd do this for. Guy is special, ran for about 3,900 yards between 12 and 13 seasons behind an average line, no qb, and no other talent on the O. Even if he is less than that, he should still be good for 1,500 yards a year the next 3 years easy with this team. Not to mention the contract is really only a 3yr 25M deal so average of 8M per which I'd do for him.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello to all....funny thing, I was sitting at work yesterday and was curious as to how our 2016 cap would look, as well as what it would look like if we acquired AP.

To Start with we would know that AP would want a new deal as well as Dallas would. Reason for both would be different. For AP he would want guaranteed dollars, and for Dallas they would want a lower cap number. Both sides would have to be willing to give in some to make that work. For AP he wouldn't see 14M per, and for Dallas they would see 8M per; so lets meet somewhere in the middle and take in consideration his age and his current status and go with 10M per with 20M in guarantees. A contract could easily be structured as such:

2015 1M base 6M guaranteed cap # 7M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 9M)
2016 2M base 6M guaranteed cap # 8M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 10M)
2017 3M base 6M guaranteed cap # 9M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 11M)
2018 12M base 0 guaranteed cap# 12M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 14M)
2019 14M base 0 guaranteed cap# 14M (extra 2M if rushes over 2k)(cap total with extra 16M)

First 2 years fully guaranteed! Total of 5 years 50M with 21M guaranteed (total contract could be 5 years 60M), very fair contract for both sides!

1.) Dez- 8M
2.) Hardy- 8M
3.) Crawford- 4M
4.) McClain- 4M
5.) Mo Clay- 4M

Out of these 5 FA's Dez could be extended and Mo could have his option picked up, but we will act as if none of this will happen. The Number I have assigned to each player is the estimated 2016 cap hit with a new contract, and understand first year hits are usually low on core players.

Third we must look at the cap number of all players versus the projected cap of 2016 which for fun lets put it at 150M which is an increase of 7M from 2015. Our total active players are at 44 for 2016 without the addition of rookies from this years class which will make it 51 probably come 2016, which we would need to add an estimated 3M for their salaries to 2016 cap total for Active players so the total of all 51 projected active players would be 121M in 2016. If we add in another 8M for AP we would be at 129M with 52 players in 2016, this would exclude Dez and co from above. Projecting our Dez and co FA's first year cap hits into this and we go to 157M for 2016 which would be 7M over our projected cap number for 2016 with 57 total players.

We must now look at contracts that will most likely not be on the books in full or at all come 2016:

By cutting these three we open up 13.75M in cap space which would bring the projected cap to 143.5M with 54 playes on active roster with lets say an open list of 7 rookies from the 2016 class which we will add an additional 3.5M for rookies which then would bring us to about 147M with 61 total players on active roster, with no need to restructure any contracts or cut any additional players.

In other words our cap situation is very good, and the window needs to be taken advantage of now, as long as we do not cap our cap in the future which by using the above mentioned logic we would not do so, and this would allow us to move on from both AP and Romo come 2018 to add an additional 23M to the 2018 cap at that time, plenty enough to sign a top FA QB or whatever we would need.

In other words getting AP doesn't hurt us now or in the future. I am fine with it as long as we aren't giving up anymore than a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. Imagine adding a to D rookie in the first, having a back like AP, and then being able to add a player like the ASU safety Dallas likes so much in the 3rd......the cap isn't the concern here it is how much will it cost us in draft picks to add AP, that is my only concern.

Good work Nets.You're exactly right on here. Let the sheep keep crying wolf here and just continue to hate on AP. Fact is AP would take this team to another level under a 2-3 year win-now window with Romo. They don't need to gamble on a rookie RB in this draft unless they absolutely have to, in other words, the Vikes are delusional in their trade demands and/or decide to hold onto him past the draft (which would be a huge mistake as AP has made it very clear that he wants out of there, and you just don't a premium for a guy that just doesn't want to be there)....that's just plain silly. This team is in a win now mode, not a "let's just build through the draft cheaply with cap efficiency mode", obviously.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No merry-go-round emoji,,,so I'll just say Let's hope the team doesn't agree

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is AP I'm sure he has a good 2-3 years left in him. ONLY RB in NFL I'd do this for. Guy is special, ran for about 3,900 yards between 12 and 13 seasons behind an average line, no qb, and no other talent on the O. Even if he is less than that, he should still be good for 1,500 yards a year the next 3 years easy with this team. Not to mention the contract is really only a 3yr 25M deal so average of 8M per which I'd do for him.

That's absolutely correct Nets. AP wants to come to Dallas, and probably would make it financially feasible for this team, and for him, to "start a new chapter" in his life at his preferred team of choice. There just aren't any "gray areas" with him behind this OL, and with Romo and Dez in front of him taking some of the heat off him, like there would be with any rookie RB prospect from this draft. No more 8,9,10 in the box defensive looks to penetrate and navigate his way through. I can see AP seriously making a run at the 2000 yard barrier as their workhorse RB, and this team playing in the NFC Championship game over the next two-three years with him focused now on football only with something to prove.

Last edited:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's the ticket alright, taking a complete unknown rookie RB crap-shoot having to learn the pro game in his first year on the fly, and then being forced to carry a professional football team with a running mentality, versus obtaining the best RB of our generation with a decent chance of having at least two really nice production seasons remaining in him, that already knows the pro game, and has already proven that he could dominate at this level before?? (All just to save a few bucks under the cap, that every team just manipulates anyway with built-in auto triggers written into contracts and post June 1st cuts, whenever they need players??) Forget about Romo getting killed possibility also with a rookie RB that can't block or perform as expected in his first year lol.

Sheep

:rolleyes2:

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure which to comment on, the idea of an NFL team playing with 10 in the box or a 30 plus year old RB making a run at 2,000 yards. Let me mull it over and get back to y'all...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's the ticket alright, a complete unknown rookie RB crap-shoot having to learn the pro game in his first year on the fly and be forced to carry a professional football team, versus obtaining the best RB of our generation with a decent chance of having at least two really production seasons remaining in him, that already knows the pro game, and has already proven that he could dominate at this level before?? (Just to save a few bucks on the cap)

Sheep

Well Golly Gee,,,I thought you, yourself in another thread said that if we couldn't get AP you saw drafting a RB as an acceptable Plan "B"...Must have been "Drunky Greg"...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1.) Dez- 8M
2.) Hardy- 8M
3.) Crawford- 4M
4.) McClain- 4M
5.) Mo Clay- 4M

So you'd be OK trading 2 high picks for a RB on the wrong side of 30, who may only have 3 years left at best. A RB who has already stated he's not taking a paycut. Hell in that case Murray should have just been resigned. I also think Minny is looking for a first rounder in trade.

I hope Jerry doesn't get his way and this becomes reality.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet this team doesn't agree

Is this like the time when you bet that "Red Ball" Garrett wouldn't last as their head coach either??....lmao

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this like the time when you bet that "Red Ball" Garrett wouldn't last as their head coach either??....lmao

I don't remember PDay saying that since Feb 26, 2015...some beans you'd like to spill "Greg"...

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1.) Dez- 8M
2.) Hardy- 8M
3.) Crawford- 4M
4.) McClain- 4M
5.) Mo Clay- 4M

You're proposing a $24M/3 years deal for Peterson with annual NLTBE $2M bonuses. Even if all $24M was guaranteed a free agent Peterson would likely turn it down. Until Peterson becomes a FA there's no reason for him to change his stance on his current contract. As a comparison Murray has signed for $16M/2 years, (fully guaranteed), with $2M of his $8M salary guaranteed in 2017. If the Eagles choose not to pay him the other $6M in 2017 Murray will gotten $18M for 2 years work. Peterson is going to want more money over the 1st 2 years. If the cap hits over the 1st 2 years are your bugbear you can delay the cap effects by paying him roster bonuses as part of his salary.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, let's just clear $13Mil in cap space NOW by auto-triggering Romo's contract for no fucking reason at all??

Football clueless??...you embody the meaning here dude. Just an miserable old man with old ideas....nothing more. Where's your girlfriend here jarntt?

Oh wait...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, let's just clear $13Mil in cap space NOW by auto-triggering Romo's contract for no fucking reason at all??

Football clueless??...you embody the meaning here dude. Just an miserable old man with old ideas....nothing more. Where's your girlfriend here jarntt?

Oh wait...
Your issues define you regardless of your stage name.

Can you say pipedream?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like some posters here are just dieing to be on the losing end of a Hershall Walker type trade. I bet Minnesota would love for us to trade them a few picks and take that contract off their hands.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like some posters here are just dieing to be on the losing end of a Hershall Walker type trade. I bet Minnesota would love for us to trade them a few picks and take that contract off their hands.

I take that back. There is someone on here more "football clueless" then PDay. No team is going to give up anywhere near that type of compensation for AP...what are you like 10 years old?? I've stated here repeatedly that IF they do want to trade AP by or during the draft, it would have to be a reasonable trade or forget it. Vikes would be fools to pay AP serious bread if he doesn't want to be there, and teams already know that. This isn't rocket science dude lol. You don't pay some player like a franchise player if he has repeatedly told you that he wants to start over somewhere else. AP does have a say in this whether you and others here understand that or not. Any player can just dog it and claim injuries to force his way out of any contract, especially one with no guaranteed money remaining on it lol. Do you as a team really want to just take that chance and risk losing a high draft pick by waiting until the season starts?? Use your head man. I have also said here repeatedly that if the Vikes ask for too much in return for him in any trade, or they decide not to trade him, then you have to look at the draft to find a RB...what part of that don't you understand??

Last edited:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's the ticket alright, taking a complete unknown rookie RB crap-shoot having to learn the pro game in his first year on the fly, and then being forced to carry a professional football team with a running mentality, versus obtaining the best RB of our generation with a decent chance of having at least two really nice production seasons remaining in him, that already knows the pro game, and has already proven that he could dominate at this level before?? (All just to save a few bucks under the cap, that every team just manipulates anyway with built-in auto triggers written into contracts and post June 1st cuts, whenever they need players??) Forget about Romo getting killed possibility also with a rookie RB that can't block or perform as expected in his first year lol.

Sheep

Good Lord:L