• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: THE 2014 NFL DRAFT DAY ROUND #1

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When healthy this kid did make plays. Sad part he won't see the field much because we already have 2 starting safeties.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the 30th pick won't be a starter but we had a chance to grab a starter talent. Instead we drafted a starter in a year or 2. Don't like it.

No one had this pick. They pulled a AJ on us again.

I guess that is we disagree on his ability to be a starter. I think Ward would start for a lot of teams at Safety just not the Niners, and who knows maybe he transitions to CB and takes a job from Culliver or Brock.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart GMs draft for three years out, not next year. If Ward projects in the way the Cards used the Honey Badger, I don't have a problem with the pick. We need a nickel corner, and we need to develop a starting S. Honestly, in today's NFL, I like the idea of Reid at more of a SS and Ward at FS.

Yes I agree but he wasn't a 1st rd talent. Some experts say he is the best cover Safety in the draft but we won't find out for at least 1-2 years. we need help now at other positions.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that is we disagree on his ability to be a starter. I think Ward would start for a lot of teams at Safety just not the Niners, and who knows maybe he transitions to CB and takes a job from Culliver or Brock.

If that was true another team would of took him. Most draft experts had him in the 2nd rd. So I have to disagree with you.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When healthy this kid did make plays. Sad part he won't see the field much because we already have 2 starting safeties.

I disagree about him not seeing the field, he will as a Nickle Corner.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rick Spielman said that Norv Turner was the driving force behind them taking Teddy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he was reppin a niners hat awhile back :)

2z8p175.jpg

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was true another team would of took him. Most draft experts had him in the 2nd rd. So I have to disagree with you.

Well I'm sure several teams were thinking he would fall to the 2nd round, who would guess the Niners would draft him to move him to CB. I'm sure several teams that had multiple needs were banking on a talent like him being available in the 2nd round. Just like I was hoping Easley would be available in the 3rd round or later.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about him not seeing the field, he will as a Nickle Corner.

yes he might be able to play Nickel CB because of his 4.55 speed but again he never played that position. hard for a rookie to come in and play right away at a position he never played.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame Supreme for this... he jynx us with his mock SportsHoopla selection of trading up for Pryor....

ughhhhhh

If they're moving Ward to CB,ok, I can breathe n live with it but S? I'm not sure this was thought out through

Hey hey don't compare Pryor to Ward plus I don't get paid millions to make picks

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
is there an expansion to the roster?

cuz we won't have any room for all these picks....

thus I suspect we will move some picks to next yr...

The three seventh rounders are unlikely to make the team under the best of circumstances. So we're basically talking about eight picks. I'd imagine there's a good chance we move up in the second round, and possibly the third as well. Maybe we move back and garner picks for next year. We end up adding five or six players in the top-120 who we can absolutely use, and then a couple 7th rounders who probably end up on the PS.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke has made two questionable late first rd selections, the first/last one really flopped....

its premature but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.... we really needed help at other areas but went this route however word is he'll look at CB? but who knows
I get the frustration, Baalke likes to get cute instead of just going with the consensus best pick and we end up with guys like Ward. I would feel better if the Jenkins pick and really the entire 2012 draft didnt loom heavy over this pick but at this point, the pick is in and things could be a lot worse. We Could have drafted Marqise Lee.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bad job by the front office. They were thinking about the Future and not now. U don't do that when when u have other needs. If we won the super bowl then its ok.

You do that if you're a competent organization that wants to sustain success.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see u guys tomorrow. Should be a big day for the 49ers but who knows I was wrong about tonight. We need to trade up for Desir or either WR Mathews or Adams or Latimore.

Talk about a good safety the kid from Wash st.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not to mention Morris and Cooper in the later rounds. Morris is one of our gunners on ST as a 7th (I think?) rd pick and Cooper was a 7th rd pick that was picked up by KC

Yeah, and along those lines, Phillip Adams has stuck around in the league for a long time for a very late pick.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I'm sure several teams were thinking he would fall to the 2nd round, who would guess the Niners would draft him to move him to CB. I'm sure several teams that had multiple needs were banking on a talent like him being available in the 2nd round. Just like I was hoping Easley would be available in the 3rd round or later.

The fact that more people don't know this as a possibility and probably likely infuriates me but I'll keep quiet for now.

---------

Matt Barrows:

Trent Baalke said the nickel position plays 60% of the defensive snaps. "So that's a start in our opinion," he said of Ward's likely spot.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the frustration, Baalke likes to get cute instead of just going with the consensus best pick and we end up with guys like Ward. I would feel better if the Jenkins pick and really the entire 2012 draft didnt loom heavy over this pick but at this point, the pick is in and things could be a lot worse. We Could have drafted Marqise Lee.

Did Lee get drafted? If he did I missed it so they could still draft Lee by moving up which I believe they will, maybe not to draft Lee but move up in the draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes I agree but he wasn't a 1st rd talent. Some experts say he is the best cover Safety in the draft but we won't find out for at least 1-2 years. we need help now at other positions.

Reaching for a need is a good way to truly waste picks.

Look, I'm not thrilled with this pick, but I thought Aldon and Reid were reaches at the time, too. Baalke has done a very nice job drafting defensive players in general, and has done particularly well at the DB position. So let's see what Ward has to offer.