• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Texas Rangers want to lock up AL West, trying to sink the Mariners! 9/18-9/20

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats been strike to us all night

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep them at 3 runs and I think we'll be able to tie this baby up the next 3 innings.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Rangers will offer him one.

They have nothing to gain by not offering him one. And if he does take one it's not bad at all for a 1 year deal.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but that's what I've heard.
Well maybe they could move him if he accepts QO. He might want multi year deal. This is his best chance

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From who? Anyone of consequence?

Bacsik, who I'm not really a fan of but knows a lot of people in the organization and has been right about things in the past regarding our plans. He says people in the club are worried he might accept the QO.

I also read a rumor that said the QO will be 17

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bacsik who I'm not really a fan of but knows a lot of people in the organization and has right about things in the past regarding our plans.

I also read a rumor that said the QO will be 17

He'll get a minimum of three years at 16+. No way he takes the QO.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but that's what I've heard.

Inside Baseball: Samardzija still OK, plus other walk years, MLB notes
September 18, 2015 10:20 am ET

IBShark_8729576.jpg
Jeff Samardzija has struggled in his walk year. (USATSI)

It's a big free-agent class, and no surprise, while some have asserted themselves, others have fallen back a bit. Here's a rundown of 12 up and 12 down among better free agents:

12 Up

1. Yoenis Cespedes, Mets. He's taken New York by storm as maybe the most successful fourth choice in MLB history (Justin Upton, Carlos Gomez and Jay Bruce were all tried first), hitting 17 home runs and knocking in 42 runs. He's impressing so much that some are trumpeting for MVP off seven specatacular weeks. He isn't the MVP. But he may have made himself an extra $75 million or so. He was viewed as fourth among the excellent crop of outfielders about to hit the market (behind Justin Upton, Jason Heyward and Alex Gordon, who's expected to decline his player option), but he's very likely separated himself from the others. "Well, he's better than them," one NL GM said.

2. Chris Davis, Orioles. While Davis hasn't grabbed the headlines, he's had a monster second half. And besides the raw numbers, Davis, with Buck Showalter's blessing, has showed he can play four positions adequately (the corners on the infield and outfield). So he combines power and versatility like no one before him. He had a rough year last year when he neglected to get his prescription drug approved, but that seems long forgotten now. Agent Scott Boras is expected to market him as the top position player available, with youth and even more power than Cespedes.

3. Zack Greinke, Dodgers. There's no doubt he uses the opt-out to win a big raise or extra years. The $71 million on three remaining years looks extremely cheap after a spectacular season in which he's posted the lowest ERA since Greg Maddux. He deserves the Cy Young (more on that below in the Dodgers blurb).

4. David Price, Blue Jays. He's going to "crush it" on the free-agent market, as one contracts expert said. No doubt about that. With Dallas Keuchel's recent implosion vs. the Rangers, Price may even be in line for his second Cy Young award. He's 7-1 since going to Toronto, which loves him and has interest in trying to keep him (though the Jays have historically set term limits on pitchers, which could make it difficult). The potential for a bidding war between at least two other big-market teams could easily develop; with Price's old bosses, Andrew Friedman and Joe Maddon, now with the Dodgers and Cubs, respectively, Price should have little trouble getting into the Max Scherzer/Clayton Kershaw$200-million territory.

5. Dexter Fowler, Cubs. After a rough first half, he's probably separated himself a bit from two other fine and similar free-agent center fielders, Austin Jackson and Denard Span. The difference between his halves is actually stark, as he is posting a .939 OPS in the second half, about 300 points higher than his first-half mark. The Cubs will give him a qualifying offer, which could hurt his free agency a bit.

6. Asdrubal Cabrera, Rays. Like Fowler, he's been a second-half hero, with a .935 OPS. He's also played a very nice shortstop in Tampa, putting himself in much better position this year than last year, when he had to take a one-year deal.

7. Bartolo Colon, Mets. He's practically a folk hero in New York, and between his hitting, his fielding (the behind-the-back flip was a classic) and a record scoreless streak, he earned at least one more year. There is word he might even like two years like he got last time. It probably won't be the pitching-rich Mets. But sure, why not?

8. Yovani Gallardo, Rangers. He proved he can pitch in the American League, and also pitch at home. In Milwaukee, he'd already shown he can pitch in a hitters' park. One of the most underrated free agents out there. He will get a qualifying offer.

This was from a Heyman article today

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna take a long ball tonight. But from who?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our LH bats not named Choo and Napoli have really let us down tonight. So far. That could change. I can understand them leaving Napoli in there against the RHP. The intention was against LHP only and it is easy to forgo the metrics and use your heart instead.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our LH bats not named Choo and Napoli have really let us down tonight. So far. That could change. I can understand them leaving Napoli in there against the RHP. The intention was against LHP only and it is easy to forgo the metrics and use your heart instead.

They did the same last night and Napoli rewarded Banisters confidence.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Tanner, this one is officially over

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Scheppers in this game. He should not even be on this team.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did the same last night and Napoli rewarded Banisters confidence.
Like I said I understand it and not saying anything against Napoli here. But the metrics say different. I know he was 1-3 last night.