• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no business trading away our future for someone who will only be here for 2 years.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes you hate to give up too much for two years of control to a team who is evidently trying to save money and do a prospect grab. We need a longer window IMO

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m curious as to why folks are blaming the front office for not signing Rendon, he didn’t want to play in Texas he wanted to play in CA and is going to do so...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what guarantee is there that the prospects we trade for him would be part of our future?
None, so trade all of our top 20 prospects for guys with 2 years left on their contracts and go all in. Nothing else matters besides right now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m curious as to why folks are blaming the front office for not signing Rendon, he didn’t want to play in Texas he wanted to play in CA and is going to do so...
Lol

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point , I’m over it.........

I don’t really care what they bring in now. I just want a right handed partner for condor at first. The guy isn’t ready for 150 games. He’s just not. We’re probably not getting another reliever who will make the roster, even tho bringing one in also makes a lot of sense.

They could just sign pillar and let Santana platoon at first base and be a super utility guy.

No Pillar, just let Santana play CF

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes you hate to give up too much for two years of control to a team who is evidently trying to save money and do a prospect grab. We need a longer window IMO

I mentioned Dominic Smith as a target a long time ago as Peter Alonso has ran away with the 1B job, more bat than glove but also a LH bat unfortunately

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think its that he wanted to play in one place over another, one made an offer that was in his asking range and the other did not, we tried to short him at the very least on years and play games, Angels didn't and he chose them for that reason

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think its that he wanted to play in one place over another, one made an offer that was in his asking range and the other did not, we tried to short him at the very least on years and play games, Angels didn't and he chose them for that reason
Exactly. Lots of folks want to make excuses, but the way we went about the negotiations was just not going to get it done.

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the majority of Rangers fans are idiots.
We can only speculate why Rendon did not negotiate with us or if we told him forget it. Acting like we know for certain is foolish

Of course my mantra has been not to play the blame game of the FO. No person makes best offer up front and I am sure Angels did not either

Definitely agree many assumptions are made that are a tad harsh.

Would be easy to speculate he like Ohtani wanted to play with Trout and glitzy LA had more appeal than Texas

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None, so trade all of our top 20 prospects for guys with 2 years left on their contracts and go all in. Nothing else matters besides right now.

Trading all 20 would never happen..
Trading 2-3 though is no big deal.. and if it’s for a proven player at the major league level then do it!
Name 3 prospects we have traded over the last 10 years that went on to be so good we couldn’t replace them with a random guy on the free agent market for less than $10 mil a year?
The depth the minor league players provide is awesome and needed
Trading 2-3 of them isn’t going to break us.
In 5 months we will Draft 40 more players and sign many more through the international group.
Look how Solak and Burke and Allard were acquired. Through trades that were not really a big deal. If the farm runs a little dry it can always be replenished. Winning ballgames at the major league level is the main goal.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading all 20 would never happen..
Trading 2-3 though is no big deal.. and if it’s for a proven player at the major league level then do it!
Name 3 prospects we have traded over the last 10 years that went on to be so good we couldn’t replace them with a random guy on the free agent market for less than $10 mil a year?
The depth the minor league players provide is awesome and needed
Trading 2-3 of them isn’t going to break us.
In 5 months we will Draft 40 more players and sign many more through the international group.
Look how Solak and Burke and Allard were acquired. Through trades that were not really a big deal. If the farm runs a little dry it can always be replenished. Winning ballgames at the major league level is the main goal.
Our farm was barren at the top for a few years so it is not as easy as it might seem.

The comment you replied to was not directed at you. That normally wouldn't be that big of a deal, but this time it is because of who it was directed at. I would expect to be able to have a much more sensible conversation with you.

Trading 2 or three guys is no big deal if it is the right 2 or 3 guys. We only have two guys now who are in the top 100 according to MLB pipeline. So we are somewhat barren when it comes to highly regarded prospects. That is why it is imperative to not trade away any of our best prospects for temporary players.

Look at how poorly JD goes about signing top level FA. That is why we are forced to keep our top prospects. The Rendon fiasco is a great example of why we need to keep enough of our better prospects to give us a better chance for some of them to pan out.

You ask which traded prospects would have been hard to replace. I can just as easily ask which trade have we made since 2011 that has got us to a WS.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's give JD and ownership all the excuses because everyone KNOWS they couldn't have made any mistakes that have hurt us. Keep the blinders on and pretend everyone is foolishly guessing when they state the obvious.

I guess that makes the board more "interesting" at least.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our farm was barren at the top for a few years so it is not as easy as it might seem.

The comment you replied to was not directed at you. That normally wouldn't be that big of a deal, but this time it is because of who it was directed at. I would expect to be able to have a much more sensible conversation with you.

Trading 2 or three guys is no big deal if it is the right 2 or 3 guys. We only have two guys now who are in the top 100 according to MLB pipeline. So we are somewhat barren when it comes to highly regarded prospects. That is why it is imperative to not trade away any of our best prospects for temporary players.

Look at how poorly JD goes about signing top level FA. That is why we are forced to keep our top prospects. The Rendon fiasco is a great example of why we need to keep enough of our better prospects to give us a better chance for some of them to pan out.

You ask which traded prospects would have been hard to replace. I can just as easily ask which trade have we made since 2011 that has got us to a WS.

I hear what you’re saying and it does make sense.
Kyle Hendricks going to the Cubs for Dumpster stings a little
He’s pitched 1000 innings to a 3.14 ERA for the cubs. He would be a nice one to have back.
I just think about guys like Dustin Diamond, Taylor Teagarden, Jurickson Profar, Mike Olt and many more who never amounted to much.
Profar could still make a decent name for himself but you get my drift

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets see how should I word this:

1). The Rangers bid was only an opening bid and from what I understand was not given an opportunity to up it after the Angels bid came in.

2). If Rendon really wanted to play in Texas he would given them the opportunity to come up with a better bid, that didn't happen. So that tells me he really didn't want to even thought the chances of winning in Texas are better than the Angels they have total schitt for pitching...

3). After California taxes (of roughly 20% when all said and done) the original Rangers offer what have been very close in "total dollars" for one less year meaning he would be making more per year. :eek:

4). With all of this being said you have to wonder if Boras pushed Rendon into taking the Angels bid because his personal cut would have been bigger than if he signed with Texas, and Rendon wasn't smart enough to pick up on this and what I said in #3 :scratch:

It is what it is he's playing somewhere else so folks need to move on and see where else the team can better itself instead of dwelling on what probably couldn't have been to begin with...