• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I w
I would like to see what Jung does once he has as much professional experience as Apostle does. Sometimes that is a bigger factor than age.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I w
I would like to see what Jung does once he has as much professional experience as Apostle does. Sometimes that is a bigger factor than age.
I would suspect that Jung has a higher floor but Apostle has a higher ceiling

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than catcher, the IF is no better than last year. The OF is no better either. The rotation has been upgraded. Overall not much was done to put us back on track. We had several opportunities to improve and elected not to. It seems a mystery to me that money was not spent to compliment the new stadium. I'm probably wrong but it seems the team owners have no interest in the teams future.
We're done. And it looks like the projected win total of 79.5 will be pretty damn close with the poor defense we will be trooping out there

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're done. And it looks like the projected win total of 79.5 will be pretty damn close with the poor defense we will be trooping out there
Sure looks like it. Would really like to know what the real objective was for this off season.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure looks like it. Would really like to know what the real objective was for this off season.
JD has this small market mentality about him. Or made to feel that way anyway.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe they had an objective this off-season. I think Kluber fell into their lap out of nowhere and other than that they weren't really planning on anything else

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a light at the end of the tunnel or do these guys plan to low ball players forever and suck until the end of time?

choo, fielder, and A rod will be off the books next year?

then they would have no excuse to not spend on the team?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a light at the end of the tunnel or do these guys plan to low ball players forever and suck until the end of time?

Funny thing is those are some of the guys we didn't low ball.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how much faith I’d have in JD next year. Those FAs will probably be gone when next year rolls around anyway, I’m hearing.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is those are some of the guys we didn't low ball.

A lot of opt outs for Castellanos but Ozuna got only one year. Puzzling?
Can't say for certain these were low balled
Two opt outs are not good.
The ideal thing for the Rangers is an elite player at 3B with the next being a CF but to get this it will be via trade methinks

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of opt outs for Castellanos but Ozuna got only one year. Puzzling?
Can't say for certain these were low balled
Two opt outs are not good.
The ideal thing for the Rangers is an elite player at 3B with the next being a CF but to get this it will be via trade methinks
You may be right.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess the lowball complaint comes mainly from Rendon, right? Castellanos, 2 opt outs? This is like a one year rental with all the risk on the Rangers

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess the lowball complaint comes mainly from Rendon, right? Castellanos, 2 opt outs? This is like a one year rental with all the risk on the Rangers
That is my biggest gripe by far. I like a lot of the players we did bring on board (MMB and minor league level) and I really didn't care that much about the others. He was the key. Sure Castellanos can hit and I was okay if we brought him on board but it was not a must to me.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my biggest gripe by far. I like a lot of the players we did bring on board (MMB and minor league level) and I really didn't care that much about the others. He was the key. Sure Castellanos can hit and I was okay if we brought him on board but it was not a must to me.
Uh, MLB not MMB.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Evan Grant

And now no Castellanos either. This is not to say the Rangers liked Castellanos anywhere near their level of lust for Wheeler or Rendon. But, after all the big deals of December, Castellanos was the one potential impact free agent remaining on the market. Until Monday when the Reds agreed to include a pair of opt outs in their four-year, $64 million offer. Cincinnati will pay Castellanos $16 million this season in hopes he finally really breaks out this season. And, if he does, he’ll opt out. If it doesn’t happen, he’ll have the chance to do so again after 2021. The only way the Reds get four years out of him: If he stinks in the first two.

It’s either a short-term deal or a bad deal. The Reds are gambling that they are ready to make a huge step forward and that Castellanos for one year or two is the final piece.

The Rangers appear to have more modest expectations and a longer-term view. Even with another bat – and that includes the ever-so faint possibility of trading for Nolan Arenado – they don’t stand to be the AL West or wild card favorites this year.

If every move they made and every restoration project that take hits, maybe they contend for postseason. More realistic: Continued incremental improvement (which, I know, sounds an awful lot like “managed expectations”) to make them a winning and relevant club this year and position themselves to take the next step in 2021.

To that end, there are at least two options still remaining because the good news is the offseason never really seems to end any longer. The free agency market has dominated the winter, but the trade market only now seems to be heating up. The first possibility: Baltimore’s Trey Mancini, a more accomplished hitter already than Castellanos, might be more available. All it will cost is some upper level prospects. But he would also come with three years of control – and no opt outs.

To me, I still like Arenado if opt out is negotiated ( I bet he leaves the Rockies and the price of doing business will drop). I like Ktis Bryant to a lessor extent, Mancini and maybe Betts with an extension.

Hopefully the Rangers are keeping their powder dry but the Ranger "faithful?" are getting restless.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I liked Castellanos bat but it is good to bring in better defense too if a premium is paid. If we go offense only and need a rental to bridge just bring back Pence. We have a glut at DH as it is though. Ok move but not great

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ARod hasn't hurt us in awhile. We were helped out with the insurance for Fielder. The Choo contract is the only difference maker.

We had plenty of money to spend this offseason. I don't think we can blame any present contracts for what happened.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opt outs are nothing at all. So he opts out, maybe we have someone else at that point. No big deal at all.