• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Texas @ Iowa St

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska never got a 5th down, that was Colorado. You call yourself a college football fan?
that is right. Colorado mizzu.. Long history of bad big 12 calls.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it's never ok to take a cheap shot like that especially at the knees, I have a feeling that he was probably getting back at #26 for Iowa St. for something he did earlier in the game that wasn't caught on tv. Just a guess. I don't agree with stooping to that level, but these guys are 18 to 21 years old. I would like to think we coach our players better than that. It's been a frustrating year already, and probably only going to get worse. Even the coaches stop giving 100%. It shouldn't be that way, but we're all human.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas players don't get suspended.

Texas Marquis Goodwin, flagged for personal foul, but not suspended for this hit

Texas WR Marquise Goodwin Destroys UCLA CB [HD] - YouTube

Nebraska Eric Martin, not flagged for personal foul, but suspended go to around 1:30 mark

Niles Paul Return, Eric Martin hit on Andrew Hudson - YouTube

The only difference in the hits is one team is Nebraska and one team is Texas. Beebe was Texas's boy toy.

Marquise should not have even been a flag. Taht was a clean hit from a 170 lb wr. Beebe? I love those comments. Texas tried to get Swarbrick in as commish. Nebraska wanted Beebe. Even when Nebraska wins, they bitch.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor player does this in 2011, Beebe still commissioner of Big 12 at the time.

Uses helmet to clobber a player laying on the ground and the play was dead. Flagged for personal foul, no suspension.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXpTLlRSck]Baylor Cheap Shot - YouTube[/ame]

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is right. Colorado mizzu.. Long history of bad big 12 calls.

This is way before my time, but I recall reading about a Big 8/Kansas game where the Jayhawks were called for having 12 men on the field for an extra point - don't recall the opponent. The ref who threw the flag was quoted after the game as saying, "I count the players on every play."

After the game, when the opponent was watching the game film, they determined that the 12th man had actually come on to the field five plays earlier, before they had even scored their TD.

Anybody else ever heard that?

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it's never ok to take a cheap shot like that especially at the knees, I have a feeling that he was probably getting back at #26 for Iowa St. for something he did earlier in the game that wasn't caught on tv. Just a guess. I don't agree with stooping to that level, but these guys are 18 to 21 years old. I would like to think we coach our players better than that. It's been a frustrating year already, and probably only going to get worse. Even the coaches stop giving 100%. It shouldn't be that way, but we're all human.
Without a doubt that's why.

However, you also see it's not good to stoop down to that level. Especially, when you can get payback during the course of the game with a legal hit. You want to hurt the guy, not injure him.

And kids are kids. However, kids that age are smart enough to make good choices. For instance last night a DT from UCLA had Travis Wilson in his arms and was about to toss him down, which would have been a 15 yarder. He stopped himself at the last moment avoiding a costly penalty. And if good judgement fails these kids, the coaches need to address it. Not condone it.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep it coming haters! Let's get it to 800!

fat-kid-celebrates.gif

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is way before my time, but I recall reading about a Big 8/Kansas game where the Jayhawks were called for having 12 men on the field for an extra point - don't recall the opponent. The ref who threw the flag was quoted after the game as saying, "I count the players on every play."

After the game, when the opponent was watching the game film, they determined that the 12th man had actually come on to the field five plays earlier, before they had even scored their TD.

Anybody else ever heard that?

It was Kansas vs. Penn State in the 1969 Orange Bowl. Kansas blew the game by going for it on 4th and 1 on the Penn State 5 yard line and didn't make it. They could have kicked a field goal instead. Kansas lost 15-14.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expected for you t-sips to defend the bad calls that went in your favor, but lets take a look.

1. Stripping the ball is legal. The LB was running with the football before the whistle was blown. When the whistle blew Iowa St. had posession. The call was that the RB was down by contact, not foward progress was stopped. He was not down when the ball came out.

2. The fumble in the OSU game was seen on replay. Yet the replay officials rulled it wasn't a fumble. Hmmm, second time replay officials gifted a call to Texas.

3. Clear PF??? It was minor contact and shouldn't have drawn a flag. Should the DB pulled up more? Yes but it wasn't like it was a targeting call or a big hit.

4. For the 3rd time replay officials give Texas a break (notice a trend). The game was over, the clock hit 0:00. Colt should have just spiked the ball, but he threw to the sideline and used up all the time. If it was any other team, that play doesn't even get reviewed, much less get time put back on the clock to attempt the kick. Great, clutch kick, but it should never have happened.

I know you will never see it the way the rest of the college football world sees it because you think Texas deserves all those calls.

Now, name me some significant judgement calls recently that went against Texas.

1) after looking T replays over and over I cannot say with certainty the ball was out before contact. I do agree it was out before the whistle blew. Does not mean it was out before he touched though. Clearly forward progress had stopped - which should have been the call.

If I am Iowa state, I am pissed, sure. Right now and after replay if I had to guess I would say it was out. However there was not one single close up still shot showing it out before he touched. Not one. If there was someone would have posted it by now. Knowing that forward progress had stopped and there is no clear evidence - I don't see how in the world you overturn that call.

2) the Osu call was a bad call. We got a break there. No argument.

3) the right call. Please show me where in the rule book it says you can make contact with a guys head after the play is over - if you disagree. I wouldn't like it if I were you either, but less egregious calls are made even in the nfl than that and are called. Right call.

4) been over this a million times. They showed it time after time and there was actually closer to 2 seconds left in the game. Even most Nebraska fans agreed - but they were just pissed that replay was used.

I am trying to be completely objective here. 1 bad call. 1 iffy call that was the right call on review because no way to overturn it. 2 right calls.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expected for you t-sips to defend the bad calls that went in your favor, but lets take a look.

1. Stripping the ball is legal. The LB was running with the football before the whistle was blown. When the whistle blew Iowa St. had posession. The call was that the RB was down by contact, not foward progress was stopped. He was not down when the ball came out.

2. The fumble in the OSU game was seen on replay. Yet the replay officials rulled it wasn't a fumble. Hmmm, second time replay officials gifted a call to Texas.

3. Clear PF??? It was minor contact and shouldn't have drawn a flag. Should the DB pulled up more? Yes but it wasn't like it was a targeting call or a big hit.

4. For the 3rd time replay officials give Texas a break (notice a trend). The game was over, the clock hit 0:00. Colt should have just spiked the ball, but he threw to the sideline and used up all the time. If it was any other team, that play doesn't even get reviewed, much less get time put back on the clock to attempt the kick. Great, clutch kick, but it should never have happened.

I know you will never see it the way the rest of the college football world sees it because you think Texas deserves all those calls.

Now, name me some significant judgement calls recently that went against Texas.

1. No matter how the call was ruled, it wouldn't have been overturned.....whether it was ruled a fumble or not. There was no clear view of the play, and just because you did not hear the whistle before the defender had the strip does not mean the officials had not already made their calls.

2. The replay booth cannot RULE a fumble if one is NOT CALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE. Do you understand the rules of the game? NO ONE saw a fumble, therefore by definition it's not a bad call......simply a missed call.

3. You can call it minor contact all you want. The rulebook does not distinguish whether the contact was as hard as YOU would have liked. The crown of the defenders helmet hit the FACEMASK of the WR. That's ILLEGAL contact, by definition. Deal with it.

4. MULTIPLE replays - in fact ALL of them - show there was a second on the clock when the ball hit the ground. So you are either blind, a liar, or just a hater that refuses to admit the truth. LOOK up the replays, instead of making up your own stories here.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone brought up the extra 1 second Texas got against Nebraska?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Kansas vs. Penn State in the 1969 Orange Bowl. Kansas blew the game by going for it on 4th and 1 on the Penn State 5 yard line and didn't make it. They could have kicked a field goal instead. Kansas lost 15-14.

No kidding, Kansas made an Orange Bowl?

Thanks for filling in the gaps. I can't remember where I first heard that story.

I remember the "5th Down" game, and I also remember "The Fleakicker" game between Missouri-Nebraska back in the late 90's. Those were some good times.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KU beat Va Tech 24-21 in the 2008 Orange Bowl and that wasn't that many yeas ago, LOL!~

memory, it's da first to go...

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marquise should not have even been a flag. Taht was a clean hit from a 170 lb wr. Beebe? I love those comments. Texas tried to get Swarbrick in as commish. Nebraska wanted Beebe. Even when Nebraska wins, they bitch.

Nebraska NEVER wanted Beebe. We have discussed this before.

BEEBE hates Nebraska. BEEBE blamed Nebraska for every thing. EVERYTHING. Beebe went out of his way to always say that NEBRASKA was against all of his ideas. On revenue sharing, he ALWAYS says Nebraska, even though TEXAS, OKLAHOMA, and TEXASA&M were all against it.

Now, since you had the 5th down wrong you are also showing that you are making crap up about Nebraska wanting Beebe.

The first Big 12 Commissioner was Steve Hatchell. The Southwest Conference Commissioner that oversaw the destruction of the Southwest Conference. He served the Big 12 until 1998. Nebraska wanted the Big 8 Commissioner, but somehow the vote went 7-5 for Hatchell.

In 1998, Kevin Weiberg became Commissioner. He served until 2007.

IN 2007 Dan Beebe became commissioner. Beebe joined the Big 12 in 2003.

Other candidates were Swarbrick, Britton Banowsky, Wright Waters, Rick Chryst. Nebraska wanted BANOWSKY, because Nebraska already had a problem with Dan Nero Beebe. Banowsky worked for the Big 12 prior to 2002, coincidentally, that was a time frame before Beebe joined the Big 12. Banowsky decided he wanted no part of the Big 12 since he knew he only had Nebraska's support so he removed his name. Banowsky was an Oklahoma grad and his Dad was president of Oklahoma and was part of the Oklahoma Nebraska rivalries in the 1970s and 1980s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone brought up the extra 1 second Texas got against Nebraska?

Yes someone brought it up but according to the t-sips they should have had even more time put on the clock.

And bring it up makes you a troll

Last edited by a moderator:

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much time left in this game? I thought it would be over by now.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Iowa State didn't try to hug the receivers while running down the field, Texas wouldn't have gotten to the goal line to begin with

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes someone brought it up but according to the t-sips they should have had even more time put on the clock.

And bring it up makes you a troll

Wrong, bringing it up does not make you a troll.
Arguing that the replay decision was wrong makes you a troll.