• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas culture change.....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't understand this, then I assume you would recommend Texas never receive a kickoff to start either half.

I never said Texas would have won. I scoffed at the claim that an extra possession couldn't have affected the game. If Texas had lost 52-13, I would agree that the one extra possession wouldn't have meant much. As is, you lost by one FG. So the fact you were winning 10-3 at half is irrelevant. Perhaps with the extra possession you were due you could have led 13-3. See how an extra 3 points could have adjusted the outcome?

I was merely pointing out that Texas did not get 1 less possession and that is patently incorrect. 2nd Half was unaltered by the coin flip. The first half was where Texas screwed up, but in that half possessions were equal. It is a failure in logic to assume it means an extra possession. That only happens if there are an odd number of possessions in a half. Getting the opening kickoff does not guarantee an extra possession, it merely increases the odds of it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was merely pointing out that Texas did not get 1 less possession and that is patently incorrect. 2nd Half was unaltered by the coin flip. The first half was where Texas screwed up, but in that half possessions were equal. It is a failure in logic to assume it means an extra possession. That only happens if there are an odd number of possessions in a half. Getting the opening kickoff does not guarantee an extra possession, it merely increases the odds of it.

I still have no idea why you care about "possessions were equal". As if that somehow lessens the fact that you lost a possession. If halfs were determined by how many times each team had the ball, you might have a point. As it isn't the case, you don't. All that means is that Texas should have had one more possession than UCLA.

At least you are now acknowledging that you missed the opportunity to have an extra possession IN A 3 POINT GAME, where an extra possession can mean the difference between a win/tie/loss. Baby steps, I guess.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a case of possession obsession...

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will straighten out this thread. 8-5 Texas was "this close" to winning the Big 12 last year.:yahoo:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen the light. Based on hilarity, this regurgitated thread was indeed necessary.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have no idea why you care about "possessions were equal". As if that somehow lessens the fact that you lost a possession. If halfs were determined by how many times each team had the ball, you might have a point. As it isn't the case, you don't. All that means is that Texas should have had one more possession than UCLA.

At least you are now acknowledging that you missed the opportunity to have an extra possession IN A 3 POINT GAME, where an extra possession can mean the difference between a win/tie/loss. Baby steps, I guess.

Oddly, it is you that are pointing out TExas lost a possession, despite possessions being equal. Think about that. I am not sure why you dont understand. If getting an opening kick resulted in an extra possession than UCLA should have had 2 more than Texas. That did not happen. Possessions for a half are not linear. YOu can assume it is a coin flip that an extra possession will come from getting the opening kick. Fumbling a punt or a kickoff will result in a lost possession for the offense. That is not the case on a coin flip.

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oddly, it is you that are pointing out TExas lost a possession, despite possessions being equal. Think about that. I am not sure why you dont understand. If getting an opening kick resulted in an extra possession than UCLA should have had 2 more than Texas. That did not happen. Possessions for a half are not linear. YOu can assume it is a coin flip that an extra possession will come from getting the opening kick. Fumbling a punt or a kickoff will result in a lost possession for the offense. That is not the case on a coin flip.

:L

Done with you and your absurdity. If "possessions being equal" is the gold standard you seem to think, then why even bother having a coin flip. Just let the home team receive the kickoff to start both halves. :rollseyes:

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The roughing the punter at 50 seconds to go in the first half and not getting the ball on UT 38 was worse than not getting the opening kickoff.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roughing the punter at 50 seconds to go in the first half and not getting the ball on UT 38 was worse than not getting the opening kickoff.

Assuming that you could have at least run a couple of minutes off the clock to start the game, UCLA might not have even had their last possession of the first half...no no way to rough the punter.

Also, as for "equal possesions"...Texas had the ball for 5 seconds to "even" the number at the end of the half. What a joke you guys are.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Done with you and your absurdity. If "possessions being equal" is the gold standard you seem to think, then why even bother having a coin flip. Just let the home team receive the kickoff to start both halves. :rollseyes:

You could. Not sure why you think it is absurd. It is simply fact. I know it goes beyond accepting a bobblehead announcers opinion, but it is true. To be honest UCLA wanted to kick to TExas. Biggest mismatch in the game was UCLA's defense vs TExas's offense. I am sure they deferred in order to get that match up started right away and get a leg up in the field position game. Again things like being unable to run the ball, stop the run in the 2nd half, or giving up a big punt return had a much greater influence on the outcome than the coin flip. But this is what people have chosen to yammer about.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming that you could have at least run a couple of minutes off the clock to start the game, UCLA might not have even had their last possession of the first half...no no way to rough the punter.

Also, as for "equal possesions"...Texas had the ball for 5 seconds to "even" the number at the end of the half. What a joke you guys are.

Its really not my fault you do not understand probabilities or football. Its quite a simple concept.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So your contention is that UCLA might not have gotten the ball for the last drive that resulted in 0 pts had Texas received the kick? that was game altering event?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO!!!!

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas can and will return to it's past glory. When you have the number 1 program in a state like Texas, it's just a matter of time until we start getting the right recruits again. So many good QB's in Texas HS football, and no one since Colt McCoy has come equipped to do the job. Too many great ones have left the state and the Texas Longhorns in the last few years.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most just screwing with you Ford, but it is actually true. Assuming 50% chance of havign even possessions and 50% receiving team gets 1 extra possession the odds of kicking off twice resulting in more possessions is 75% (50% 1 more and 25% 2 more). 25% that the possessions are equal. Obviously not an optimal choice.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh for fuck's sake, does it really matter about the coin flip? Yes, Desmond Jackson is an idiot, but apologized to the whole student/alumni/fan base. Kid made a mistake. We lost to UCLA b/c our anemic offense went 3 and out after the defense caused a fumble with 3 minutes left to play while we're up 17-13 and did not take time off the clock by still going with the HUNH. Then, our DB (who is known for getting burnt with the game on the line the last few years) Duke Thomas gives up the game winning TD. Texas gave this game to UCLA. Now, had we scheduled like pussies in OOC the way lil bro does, Texas is 3-0 right now vs. Rice, SMU and Lamar (are you fucking kidding me Aggy? Fucking Lamar?!!)......

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh for fuck's sake, does it really matter about the coin flip? Yes, Desmond Jackson is an idiot, but apologized to the whole student/alumni/fan base. Kid made a mistake. We lost to UCLA b/c our anemic offense went 3 and out after the defense caused a fumble with 3 minutes left to play while we're up 17-13 and did not take time off the clock by still going with the HUNH. Then, our DB (who is known for getting burnt with the game on the line the last few years) Duke Thomas gives up the game winning TD. Texas gave this game to UCLA. Now, had we scheduled like pussies in OOC the way lil bro does, Texas is 3-0 right now vs. Rice, SMU and Lamar (are you fucking kidding me Aggy? Fucking Lamar?!!)......

Started with SCar, which is tougher than anything you play...for starters. Second, I know you are just lashing out because your team sucks BEVO-dong but it is very clear why the OOC schedule sucks...we changed conferences and needed fillers.

But you do your thing, whatever that may be. You guys look great doing it, I guess.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started with SCar, which is tougher than anything you play...for starters. Second, I know you are just lashing out because your team sucks BEVO-dong but it is very clear why the OOC schedule sucks...we changed conferences and needed fillers.

But you do your thing, whatever that may be. You guys look great doing it, I guess.

:nono:
Oklahoma, Baylor, possibly K-State and WVU.