• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas A&M threatens to sue double amputee, cancer survivor

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what about "Texas". You bitch about A&M trademarking a phrase that few even use. How about "Texas". It's the name of an entire state, but TU feels they can trademark it.
-
Start a thread about Texas. A man does not defense his actions by pointing fingers.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Start a thread about Texas. A man does not defense his actions by pointing fingers.

talk about deflection :lol:

You wanted to talk about scummy actions trademarking and even brought up URLs. But if we talk about collegiate trademarking of your beloved..."start a new thread".

Just more of what we all expect from a select few of your schools fans.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
talk about deflection :lol:

You wanted to talk about scummy actions trademarking and even brought up URLs. But if we talk about collegiate trademarking of your beloved..."start a new thread".

Just more of what we all expect from a select few of your schools fans.

huge difference. I have already stated in this thread UT can be quite annoying in their attempts to protect anything related to the school. I have not claimed UT is shrewd, just, or morally correct in their actions. In fact, I was critical of it. You are defending A&M's actions, hence why we are debating A&M actions.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huge difference. I have already stated in this thread UT can be quite annoying in their attempts to protect anything related to the school. I have not claimed UT is shrewd, just, or morally correct in their actions. In fact, I was critical of it. You are defending A&M's actions, hence why we are debating A&M actions.

I have said A&M is doing what they legally must. Texas would do the exact same. There is zero difference in the way the schools would handle this situation.

When someone doesn't respond to civil requests, you have to make threats to spur action. Sorry if that offends you, how about taking it up with the people who ignored the multiple requests to cease and desist? To me that is scummy. Claiming ignorance, even after you have been informed what you are doing is illegal is scummy. Ignoring the entire group to play up the one person who is disabled is scummy. Protecting what is legally yours, is what you do when you have paid for something and been granted ownership of it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said A&M is doing what they legally must. Texas would do the exact same. There is zero difference in the way the schools would handle this situation.

When someone doesn't respond to civil requests, you have to make threats to spur action. Sorry if that offends you, how about taking it up with the people who ignored the multiple requests to cease and desist? To me that is scummy. Claiming ignorance, even after you have been informed what you are doing is illegal is scummy. Ignoring the entire group to play up the one person who is disabled is scummy. Protecting what is legally yours, is what you do when you have paid for something and been granted ownership of it.
-
trademarking something that has been in football lexicon for 100 years is scummy. Just my opinion

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
trademarking something that has been in football lexicon for 100 years is scummy. Just my opinion
Everyone is allowed to have a flawed opinion I guess.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
curious...annoying or scummy?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100216/1034448184.shtml

There is the story I was talking about. Texas sued an app for simply having the name "iTexas" because they have trademarked "Texas". If trademarking a football term "used for the last 100 years", this should REALLY roil those bitching about A&M

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools have to do this otherwise they lose their trade mark, and it becomes public domain. I think a lot of colleges get around it by "licensing" your high school to use their trademark for nominal fee.

I don't blame FSU, but my old high school wasn't exactly making money off of their likeness IMO.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, nobody is allowed to have any colored field without the permission of Boise St.

Boise State owns a trademark for any non-green colored field but can, at its discretion, allow programs to install any color it requests. It has granted permission to schools in multiple states to use a blue field but declined Brevard, in large part, because it shares the field with Division II program, Brevard College.

:wtf:

Dumbest shit ever

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is the story I was talking about. Texas sued an app for simply having the name "iTexas" because they have trademarked "Texas". If trademarking a football term "used for the last 100 years", this should REALLY roil those bitching about A&M

On an App about the University of Texas. Again this quite different. Not wanting any reference to your name on a site run by an independent entity about your University actually makes sense. Clearly trying to distance themselves from an App that gives things like your University balances. You can see where they would not want any appearance to be sanctioning the APp. Trademarking a color is another story. Trademarking a term for football fans is another story. I do applaud your efforts though. No matter what keep trying to change the subject

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On an App about the University of Texas. Again this quite different. Not wanting any reference to your name on a site run by an independent entity about your University actually makes sense. Clearly trying to distance themselves from an App that gives things like your University balances. You can see where they would not want any appearance to be sanctioning the APp. Trademarking a color is another story. Trademarking a term for football fans is another story. I do applaud your efforts though. No matter what keep trying to change the subject

You should appreciate me changing the subject, since you look like a clown trying to be self-righteous about something every company and school in America does.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should appreciate me changing the subject, since you look like a clown trying to be self-righteous about something every company and school in America does.

Yes, because Coca-Cola and 12th Man have so much in common. You make me giggle

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On an App about the University of Texas. Again this quite different. Not wanting any reference to your name on a site run by an independent entity about your University actually makes sense.
OK...sorry that my "flaming hatred of TU" is so apparent...but really...how is this different from a site in Buffalo using a phrase that references your team different..

And no, TU isn't THAT much different from TAMU when compared around the US of A

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...sorry that my "flaming hatred of TU" is so apparent...but really...how is this different from a site in Buffalo using a phrase that references your team different..

And no, TU isn't THAT much different from TAMU when compared around the US of A

Because you do want any confusion about being associated with a site about your school that gives university balances. It is quite different. Not hard to see where issues could come from that. Site was definitely linking itself it the University. I figured that was apparent when the the site was dedicated to the University of Texas. Please tell me how that is similar to the Buffalo case

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you do want any confusion about being associated with a site about your school that gives university balances. It is quite different. Not hard to see where issues could come from that. Site was definitely linking itself it the University. I figured that was apparent when the the site was dedicated to the University of Texas. Please tell me how that is similar to the Buffalo case
What????

The spin is confusing ...

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't simply having the name "iTexas". It was an app targeting the students of the University. I don't like the laws but it isn't like the university is trying to claim that they have rights to anything with "Texas" in it. And they haven't trademarked "Texas" either. There's tons of companies with "Texas" in their name. They were looking at the name in the context of the app, which was specific to the students and not the entire state.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what about "Texas". You bitch about A&M trademarking a phrase that few even use. How about "Texas". It's the name of an entire state, but TU feels they can trademark it.

'Texas' itself is not trademarked, but only a certain font and specific emblem 'Texas' used for, you guessed it, TRADE, or with reference to the University that bears that name..

Try again, dunce.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A liquor company is trying to sell a version of their whiskey(?) with the name of Duke. An image of John "Duke" Wayne is on the label, along with his signature. Duke University is suing them for trademark/copyright infringement. Just saw the lead-in on CBS This Morning.