• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Team MVP so far

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then lets hope he has a good game tomorrow.

Thanks for the chat. I'm off to the bar to see what kind of trouble I can get into. Got to blow off some steam after a 84 hour work week.:drink:

Haha I don't blame you for that one. Green is no doubt the MTP on this team. I think Benson is the MVP of this team.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ced is a bum. If we had a better running back, our redzone numbers wouldn't be nearly as awful. Any MVP of this team HAS to be on the D. The D is number 1 in the league through 4 weeks and yet we are .500 - It's pretty clear where are strength lies.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJD 1 running TD. Year the better RB has more TD's. Forte 1 running TD. You can't give the MVP to a unit. It's a player thing. Most Valuable PLAYER. Ced is that. When he is good we win, when he is poor we lose. That is the very essence of it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the style of play Marvin wants us to do, he needs to be better. But, he's still better than what half the teams in the league have. not elite, but above average.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, I'm not a huge Benson fan either. But he's 6th in the NFL in rushing after 4 games. I basically give him the MVP designation by default

You obviously didn't watch the Cleveland game or you just have a horrible memory. Benson played like crap almost the entire game. He started off well, but especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarters he blew. Averaging something like 2 ypc. Until that last run he was at a whopping 3.4 ypc.

That said, if we're going to give someone the MVP based on ONE play, then I'd like to throw Cleveland's entire defense in the mix for not getting out of the huddle, along with Cook for snapping the ball, Gradkowski for making the pass, and Green for making the catch in the same play for the go-ahead AND winning TD.

Last note, Benson has been less than stellar 3 out of the 4 games (2 out of those 3 aren't even arguable). MVP in the making. I hope the league is watching.

Edit: 6th in the NFL in rushing, but 2nd in carries. The fact that he's 2nd in carries and still isn't even top 5 in rushing just shows his suckage level.

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ced is a bum. If we had a better running back, our redzone numbers wouldn't be nearly as awful. Any MVP of this team HAS to be on the D. The D is number 1 in the league through 4 weeks and yet we are .500 - It's pretty clear where are strength lies.

Andrew Brandt in his article basically called Benson a bum. He said any credit to the running game goes to the o-line.

At least we aren't the only ones that see it.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If our O line is the only reason Ced has any production, then why is Bernard Scott so bad? Ced isn't terrible. He's an alright back, nothing more or less. Sure he's not breaking a bunch tackles, pushing piles, or breaking ankles like the elite do but he does find the hole and makes gains which is better than half the other backs in the league and definitely better than anybody else on our team. He wears down defenses, moves the sticks, and helps the team win.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If our O line is the only reason Ced has any production, then why is Bernard Scott so bad? Ced isn't terrible. He's an alright back, nothing more or less. Sure he's not breaking a bunch tackles, pushing piles, or breaking ankles like the elite do but he does find the hole and makes gains which is better than half the other backs in the league and definitely better than anybody else on our team. He wears down defenses, moves the sticks, and helps the team win.

I'll be happy with Bernard Scott when he does something worthwhile. up to this point, its starting to appear that he peaked already. would be nice to be wrong about it, but I'm not holding my breath. Some folks around here have a raging crush on Bernard Scott :sly:

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll be happy with Bernard Scott when he does something worthwhile. up to this point, its starting to appear that he peaked already. would be nice to be wrong about it, but I'm not holding my breath. Some folks around here have a raging crush on Bernard Scott :sly:

I agree 100 percent. He has done nothing. Personally, I hope we land a solid RB in the draft next year because I don't see Scott as being the future of this team by any means. He'll have his chance if/when Benson is suspended and I hope he does great and blows up. I'm just not expecting it to happen.

I like Brian Leonard more than Scott. He at least saves a drive or makes a crucial play at least once a game it seems like. I always appreciate a guy who makes the most out of every opportunity (which may be why he is a little injury prone).

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets take care of buisness today Bengals.Morning Bengal Nation,enjoy the game!!
bengals.gif

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You obviously didn't watch the Cleveland game or you just have a horrible memory. Benson played like crap almost the entire game. He started off well, but especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarters he blew. Averaging something like 2 ypc. Until that last run he was at a whopping 3.4 ypc.

That said, if we're going to give someone the MVP based on ONE play, then I'd like to throw Cleveland's entire defense in the mix for not getting out of the huddle, along with Cook for snapping the ball, Gradkowski for making the pass, and Green for making the catch in the same play for the go-ahead AND winning TD.

Last note, Benson has been less than stellar 3 out of the 4 games (2 out of those 3 aren't even arguable). MVP in the making. I hope the league is watching.

Edit: 6th in the NFL in rushing, but 2nd in carries. The fact that he's 2nd in carries and still isn't even top 5 in rushing just shows his suckage level.

You can't just take away the game-clinching 40 yd TD from the equation.. well you could, but it's not fair to do so

if a RB runs for 85 yds on 19 carries, but then on the 20th carry he loses 5 yds, and then he fumbles to cost his team the game, he had a bad game. it goes both ways...

As far as the last "edited" point, he's averaging 4.5 ypc. that's a great # for Benson's style of running...

I don't think he's great or elite or an All Pro or a leauge MVP canidate. but he's as good a canidate as any for Bengals team MVP through 4 games.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd say 2nd in carries, 6th in yards isn't bad. 2nd in carries, and 12th in yards sucks, but only a small difference is pretty good. I'm not a Benson fan at all, but that particular metric is a poor attempt by you Flaming.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I didn't realize you could tell a player sucked from 13 carries in 4 games.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You can't just take away the game-clinching 40 yd TD from the equation.. well you could, but it's not fair to do so

if a RB runs for 85 yds on 19 carries, but then on the 20th carry he loses 5 yds, and then he fumbles to cost his team the game, he had a bad game. it goes both ways...

As far as the last "edited" point, he's averaging 4.5 ypc. that's a great # for Benson's style of running...

I don't think he's great or elite or an All Pro or a leauge MVP canidate. but he's as good a canidate as any for Bengals team MVP through 4 games.

I was showing that he sucked the entire game until that point. You can keep that last play, I don't care. Also, it was mentioned to show other players also had 1 great play, but we aren't using that as a way to show they were better than they actually were. As a matter of fact, now my MVP of that game was Gradkowski since he had a better than 100 QB rating. That's very very good (even though his play wasn't that of a 100 QB guy...lucky one play, lucky for him).

The problem with your analogy is Benson didn't "win" the game for the Bengals like he would have "lost" it had he fumbled and the team went the other way. He simply "sealed" it. 2 entirely different things.

The edited point was there to show how absurd your claim was that because he's 6th in yards he's doing great. Lacks any and all perspective. And I agree my 2nd in attempts for 6th in yards isn't saying much (...it also lacks perspective). But I thought it fit well next to your baseless claim.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't realize you could tell a player sucked from 13 carries in 4 games.

I didn't realize people could put words into somebodies mouth so easily. I didn't say he sucked because of 13 carries he's had this year. I said he was doing poorly if the only reason for Benson's success is the OLine.

And after 2 years and 4 games, If the guy was good enough to be a feature back he would be. We wouldn't be trying out other running backs in case of Ced's suspension, we've got 4 on the roster. The fact is that he falls down to initial contact easily, usually has one decent gain a game (around 10 yards usually) surrounded by numerous <2 yard carries, and is nothing more than a worse version of Ced.

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right. Ced is a beat. What a player.

Why didn't the guy just put a stamp on his game today..... Good lord does he suck.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who said he was a beast? Where did anybody say he was anything other than above average?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't realize people could put words into somebodies mouth so easily. I didn't say he sucked because of 13 carries he's had this year. I said he was doing poorly if the only reason for Benson's success is the OLine.

He's not doing any worse than Benson in the limited snaps he's getting. Really, there's no way anyone can make a fair assessment of his play this season.

Plus, nobody said Scott is any good (though some - myself included - have argued he's earned more carries), so measuring Benson's abilities based on what Scott has or hasn't done really makes no sense.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Side note: in 2009, we had 3 different guys that had 100+ yard games: Benson, Scott, and LJ who ran for 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 ypc, respectively.

Generally, with the exception of a few RBs, in terms of straight runs from the LOS, they're all mostly a product of their surroundings (majority o-line and partly QB and system).

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2.5 YPC vs. 4.5 ypc through the first 4 games. I didn't say anybody said he was good. I was replying to Dan who said some people had a crush on him. I was using him as a basis to debunking Andrew Brandt's assessment that "all credit in the running game goes to the o-line". I don't even know why I have to explain this, it was all pretty clear the first time I wrote it.