• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TC thread

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there’s Barber, who is coming off a season in which he had just 2.7 rushing yards per attempt, the fewest of his career. Primarily Washington’s goal-line back last season, he also had the second-fewest rushes (94), rushing yards (258) and rushing yards per game (16.1) of his five seasons.

Instead of conceding, Barber has done what he does best: He dug in his heels, continued to churn his legs and adapted when presented with a roadblock.

Tim Hightower, Washington’s director of alumni relations, more than understands his predicament. Even though Barber had the fewest carries of his career since his rookie season, when he had 55, he had the second-most first downs (26), third-most scores (four), as well as playing all 16 games for a fourth consecutive season.

The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back did the job he was brought in to do — getting tough yards — but now must fight for a roster spot.

“I know what that feels like to walk out … not knowing what the future looked like,” Hightower said. “You want guys who they’re ready for that, they’re waiting for that. You don’t want guys who are afraid. … It’s not necessarily about who’s there. … You have some adversity, you’ve proven yourself, you build on that confidence.”

During minicamp, Barber could have almost been confused for McKissic. He has slimmed down, and his cuts were made with the same smoothness as McKissic when he was making his way upfield.

Barber’s backfield mate would actually be a good person to speak to as it relates to taking care of and adapting one’s body for more roles. In McKissic’s case, it was bulking up because he didn’t want to be thought of as only a pass-catching back.

The knock against him had always been whether he could handle the ruggedness in between the tackles. McKissic finished the best season of his career rushing inside the tackles 62 percent of the time, per Rotowire, and overall had 365 yards, 25 first downs and a score on 85 carries. His 22.8 yards a game was just under double his next-best average.

When he was in Seattle, former safety Earl Thomas pulled him aside and shared the secrets of how to not only maintain in the league but excel if he learned how to properly take care of his body. That meant hydrating throughout the day, foam rolling consistently, eating properly and getting massages once, if not twice, a week — and always after games.

So while they’ve trained their bodies to do opposite things, McKissic fundamentally understands what his teammate is going through.

“All training camp, I just wanted to show them that I’ll do all of that,” McKissic said. “Not to limit myself to just be a one-run type back. That means a lot to me to be able to get those type of runs in games to be a guy that’s 198 pounds.

“We’ve got some real dogs in that room, man, it’s competitive. Antonio and Peyton Barber … can do it as well.”

On the second day of minicamp, Barber showed exceptional concentration and caught a somewhat difficult pass in the end zone from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. He was able to elude defenders, and don’t confuse some of the lost weight for an inability to put his head down and move defenders.

If the message has been that the No. 3 spot is up for grabs and the coaches would like to see someone earn it, Barber responded in kind. He intends to make it a competition over the next two months.

Among other candidates, Barber will vie with Lamar Miller, who was signed toward the end of last season; Jaret Patterson, who is entering the league with a lot to prove after not hearing his name called during the NFL Draft; and Jonathan Williams, a practice squad player last season.

The coaches have made it clear they will make way for younger players. They have already parted with Ryan Kerrigan, the franchise’s all-time sack leader, and Morgan Moses, who anchored every game at right tackle since 2015.

“I think that (weight loss) was done consciously by him, and it’s one of those things that when you do talk to guys that are becoming veteran guys, in terms of a little older, a little longer in the tooth, one of the things that helps them as far as their career is concerned is to maintain their weight, to keep it down,” Rivera said. “It helps quicken them. It takes a little bit of stress off their knees, their ankles and hips and their lower back. They feel better, they feel faster, and you can see it. He’s playing fast and he’s doing a heck of a job for us.

“He’s stronger. He’s worked at it, too. The tradeoff is he’s probably lost a little bit of the baby fat and has gotten a little bit leaner. Believe me, I’m not concerned about his short-yardage running, because one thing he does is run with leverage. He runs with good body lean and I don’t think it’s going to impact his ability to run inside that much.”

Running backs coach Randy Jordan said three players at the position will make the team, and the third will need to show he can be productive, protect the quarterback, not commit turnovers and play a role on special teams.

Barber was productive last season, scoring all four of his touchdowns in short-yardage and goal-line situations. But so was Patterson, whom Rivera compared to Darren Sproles during rookie minicamp in May. He’s coming off a final season at Buffalo in which he rushed for 1,072 yards and 19 touchdowns in only six games — including 409 yards and eight touchdowns against Kent State.

“I think the biggest thing is, when you watch him on tape … he’s got really, really good vision,” Jordan said. “His contact balance is good, and the thing that a lot of people don’t understand is when you watch players on tape, you look at those intangibles. Can he score touchdowns? Can he rush the football, meaning can he make yards on his own? And from what I’m seeing so far, those are the same things we’re seeing on tape. … So, we’re excited about him as a player, and I think that he’s going to do a really good job for us.”

Miller was a formidable running back for the Dolphins and Texans and made the Pro Bowl in 2018, but he tore an ACL in a preseason game in 2019 and didn’t appear in a game after joining Washington last season. As Jordan said consistently about former Washington running back Derrius Guice, “your greatest ability is your availability.” Meanwhile, Williams is on his sixth team in five years and has appeared in 28 games, including five last season for the Lions.

Of course, the third running back is also going to have to show up on special teams. Barber played 130 snaps on special teams last season. Miller hasn’t taken a special-teams snap since 2014. Patterson has already said he’ll play wherever the coaches need him, and Williams has played 36 percent of his career snaps on special teams.

Gibson may have the featured role, but Barber knows there’s still an opening for him — and he’s out to prove he can seize it.

“Since I’ve been here, this is a group that has been competitive and they’re doing a great job,” Jordan said. “I think the biggest thing is just finding the right guys throughout the season who will be able to compete and give us an opportunity to be productive at the position.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Washington’s new leadership group will be another thing to watch at training camp​

jamin-chase-scaled-e1624932666259-1024x683.jpg

By Rhiannon Walker Jun 29, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

When it was Tim Hightower’s time to take over as the starting running back for the Arizona Cardinals, he was excited. It was 2008, his rookie season, and the person he was being asked to follow?
It was the four-time Pro Bowler, two-time rushing leader, two-time All-Pro and future Hall of Famer Edgerrin James. No pressure, right? Of course there was some, but for Hightower, it was an opportunity he relished when he became “the guy” and, with his ascension, a young leader on what was a feisty Cardinals team.
“I remember coming in my rookie year, replacing Edgerrin James, a future Hall of Famer. As much respect as I had for him, when it was my time to start, I was excited,” Hightower recalled. “I was ready. And so that’s the kind of guy that I know (Washington’s coaching staff) brought in to be very competitive.”
Similar to the Washington Football Team, with whom Hightower is now the director of alumni relations, that Arizona team took advantage of a weak division and won the NFC West with a 9-7 record. Like the 7-9 Washington team that won the NFC East last season, all the players wanted was to get into the playoffs for a chance to make some noise. Arizona made it to Super Bowl XLIII, where it ultimately lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers, while Washington pushed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, eventual Super Bowl LV champions, to the final moments of a wild-card game.
As the weeks pass and training camp draws closer, the conversation will be primarily focused on the position battles, injured players returning and how the new additions look in pads.
But the other thing being forged this offseason is new, young leadership.
Gone are running back Adrian Peterson, long snapper Nick Sundberg, defensive end Ryan Kerrigan and right tackle Morgan Moses, all former starters and stalwarts for the franchise. The roster is brimming with young players who will now be tasked with taking up the mantle.
Coach Ron Rivera has said it takes a player 5,000 snaps before he can truly begin to understand the play or concept being taught to him. These players have had less than a year to learn from the aforementioned veterans — how to operate as professionals, how to keep a team together during adversity and how to win despite the challenges.
“We are just going in a different direction,” Rivera said. “We have an opportunity to get some young guys on the field, and we went out and brought in a veteran left tackle. Feel very comfortable with those decisions because of the players that we have on the roster right now.”
So, how much time will it take for these players to comfortably settle into the newly vacated leadership roles? Everyone is about to find out whether they had enough reps in 2020 to successfully take over for the old guard. Hightower is excited to see what these players will do and believes they’re ready for the additional responsibilities.
“First of all, you want guys who they’re ready for that, they’re waiting for that opportunity,” Hightower said. “You don’t want guys who are kind of afraid to jump into that. … I know they’re ready. And again, as a coach, you don’t just throw those guys in there. You prepare them, but you want guys who are eager to get in there and get going.
“When you have the consistency with the coaching staff, a veteran coaching staff, it’s their jobs to help navigate them, to create that chemistry, to create that structure and that identity. And so for the young guys, as they’re going through it emotionally, the coach also brings in some other veteran guys, and they helped bring these guys on along. So you helped that transition process a little bit.”
Rivera embraces his own leadership role and shows the players how to go about connecting with their teammates during the stretch period. He regularly walks around during those five to 10 minutes through the rows and columns of players, checking in with them.
If a player has had a baby, he asks about that. Maybe they’re working on completing their degree; that’s another conversation to be had. A player’s anniversary or wedding might have passed — Rivera makes a point to know these details and acknowledge them. One, to show he’s engaged and aware his players have lives outside of the white lines of the field and, two, to show he cares about those benchmarks, milestones and achievements.
“It really just depends on the individual,” Rivera explained of what he discusses. “As the guy in the leadership role, I like to give them some energy out there because guys will feed off the leadership. If it’s a young guy, I’ll ask him how he’s doing, how things are coming along, if he has any questions, that type of stuff, and how other guys are doing and checking on them. If I know a guy that just recently got married, I will ask him how his wife is doing or something. Somebody just had a baby or child — I’ll ask how the kids are doing. It’s not always all about football; it’s just a check-in to see how guys are doing mentally and physically.”
When Chase Young spoke to the media for the first time this offseason during minicamp, he was asked about how he felt about coming in as a leader in his second season. Similar to his coach’s sentiments, he said his leadership style is all about setting an example.
“Last year, I wasn’t even really looking to take on that leadership role, but I was just being who I was,” Young said. “Being vocal and guys follow. That is the same thing I’m going to do this year. I’m going to try and lead by example, that is No. 1. You’ve just got to work, and guys have to know that you’re going to work. If I tell a guy to run off the field and I walk off the field, then what do I look like? My No. 1 thing is to just go in there, blue-collar and working. If anybody gets left behind, then we’re going to pick that up and keep rolling.
“I just try to hold people around me accountable, just like they hold me accountable. It just felt good being out there with my guys. I felt like a kid in a candy shop.”
Over the last decade, players commented on how Kerrigan, the franchise sack leader, didn’t talk much, but he showed players how to be a professional on and off the field. The 10-year Washington veteran was well known for imparting his wisdom on how to take care of one’s body to make it through a season — or, you know, 139 consecutive games, which is the most ever for a left outside linebacker in league history.
Sundberg, who played 11 seasons for Washington, displayed his leadership by being a perfectionist and finishing a game with a broken arm.
Moses often talked with pride about not missing a start — no matter how injured, beat up or ugly it was — and how his teammates knew he would show up for them. He also demonstrated how to engage with the media, showing there can be a balance of seriousness, humor and levity when interacting with reporters. And when a season was lost, he never threw his teammates under the bus. He held players to a high standard and demanded they compete until the final game.
Those are the styles of leadership the new nucleus must replace, and after everything Washington went through last season, Hightower is confident this group will succeed in filling the void and watching new leaders and leadership styles emerge.
“I think you go on last year … you ride that for a little bit,” Hightower said. “It’s how you finish that carries into that offseason, and you remember that, you take some of those lessons. But you gotta prove it, and it starts at training camp.
“Coach Rivera set the tone last year going through what he had to go through (fighting cancer), what Alex Smith had to go through with those guys. Those young guys got a chance to see what resilience, what adversity looks like. It’s not about what’s on paper. It’s about what are you going to do when it’s fourth quarter and those games you’re not supposed to win and you find a way to win? It wasn’t pretty last year, but we made it to the playoffs, and you remember that. So it’s not necessarily about who’s there — it is, but it’s about that lesson. And then you take those lessons, mixed with the guys who were there, you bring in veterans, like with Ryan (Fitzpatrick), and you lean on some of those lessons from last year. And that’s what I liked about going into this season. You have some adversity, you’ve proven yourself, you build on that confidence, and we’ve got a lot of that moving forward.”
(Photo of Jamin Davis, left, and Chase Young: Scott Taetsch / Getty Images)

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Three lingering questions after Washington’s minicamp: QBs, Landon Collins and Curtis Samuel​

USATSI_16193659-1024x682.jpg

By Rhiannon Walker Jun 24, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

I often wonder about lots of things regarding the Washington Football Team. And instead of keeping them all in my head, I’ve decided to share some of the things I’m ruminating on ahead of the team’s trip to Richmond, Va., for the start of training camp in late July.

When will the starting quarterback be crowned?​

Coach Ron Rivera has said on multiple occasions that one of the things he did wrong last season was not hold a true quarterback competition. That’s not to say he didn’t want one, but a condensed offseason forced him to choose whether to split the few reps he had among Dwayne Haskins and Kyle Allen or give the player he believed had the best chance to lead the team all of those snaps. He chose the latter, and it didn’t work out.
This year, it’s a two-man game between Ryan Fitzpatrick and Taylor Heinicke, who wowed as the starter in the team’s playoff game against the Buccaneers in January. But at what point does Rivera call the race and begin preparing the team for the Week 1 starter? There’s no need to rush a decision as the team doesn’t have a truncated offseason this year, but at some point, that call must be made.
And based on what happened during the spring practices, the door hasn’t been shut on Heinicke. There were sessions when he looked good. He made the right plays — explosive plays and smart plays. Juxtapose that with the fact Fitzpatrick had some practices in which he showed off his pinpoint accuracy and an ability to distribute the ball, and then others in which he wasn’t particularly sharp or careful protecting the ball, and it really is anyone’s game.
Per Rivera, the starting role is Fitzpatrick’s “to have,” but he will have to assert himself more at the end of July and in August to make the coaches confidently say he’s their choice. And he’s going up against a player in Heinicke who is willing to do anything necessary to ascend to the starting role. The team’s hope is for both players to put their best feet forward while the competition wages on, but for the rest of the offense to follow suit, a decision is going to have to be made sooner rather than later.

Is there truly any pathway for Landon Collins to regain his starting job?​

If Collins isn’t expected to be 100 percent healthy until the season essentially begins, is there a pathway for him to retake his job as the starting strong safety? It’s not as though the coaches can simply anoint him when he returns, because that would fly in the face of the coaching staff’s entire ethos. The other way it would be contradictory is that Rivera and company have done everything in their power to allow younger players to get on the field and have had no issue removing the older players blocking their paths.
Kam Curl played well enough in Collins’ absence to merit starting consideration. I’ve been saying that since the end of last season. In one season, Curl had two sacks, three interceptions, four passes defended, four tackles for a loss, five quarterback hits and 88 tackles in 16 games and 11 starts. Collins, in two seasons in Washington, has amassed 158 tackles, 12 tackles for a loss, five pass breakups, four sacks, four quarterback hits, three forced fumbles and one interception in 22 contests.
Reinstalling Collins just because of seniority doesn’t work. Not playing someone with the team’s second-highest cap figure also doesn’t work. Without being able to compete during the summer sessions, how does Collins return to a more prominent role on defense, especially when Curl has given the staff nothing but reasons to keep him on the field?

Will the coaching staff actually use Curtis Samuel more in the slot than it did in Carolina?​

After watching him have success playing in the slot under Panthers coach Matt Rhule and offensive coordinator Joe Brady last season, conventional wisdom says yes. Samuel’s former high school coach also believes that would be the best way to use him, especially when one considers that Samuel was successful without All-Pro running back Christian McCaffrey on the field to take attention away from him — and that he played fewer snaps than he did under Rivera the season before.
But is that the primary way Washington’s staff will utilize the do-it-all receiver? Offensive coordinator Scott Turner pointed out that while Samuel had the most receiving yards and catches of his career last season, his touchdown total and yards per catch diminished when he wasn’t playing with his former coaches. I wholeheartedly believe Turner and the staff is going to have Samuel line up in any number of locations, but I’m wondering if they will take a page out of the Panthers’ playbook and put their own flair on it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some tube action

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

could be another find

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trying to seize more of a role ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

needs another year of production for that to change

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no many blue players on offense and resigning some of these guys should reflect that
I cannot whole heartedly agree with this list of colors. If Tmac is a BLUE, which btw, he is not rated in top 15 WR's by ESPN, then Gibson and Curtis Samuel are both BLUE players for sure. To add to this, if Fitz is PURPLE, he should have never been added to the team however, I truly believe him to be a RED player for us. After all, he has mentioned several times over the past few weeks that his current situation is the best he has been placed into as "The Man", he said. I believe him and I believe he will win games for us this year as our QB and most important position on the offense/team.
I also believe Chase Roullier is a RED and has proven such to this point. Hoping we lock him up for 10 years.