• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taro Tsujimoto

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does everyone else know about this? I just found out about him yesterday. Here's his story, courtesy of Wikipedia...

Taro Tsujimoto is an imaginary ice hockey player who was legally drafted by the National Hockey League's Buffalo Sabres 183rd overall in the 11th round of the 1974 NHL Entry Draft.[1][2]

The Sabres' General Manager at the time, Punch Imlach, was reportedly fed up with the slow drafting process via the telephone. He decided to have some fun at the expense of the league and President of 28 years, Clarence Campbell, so contacted public relations director Paul Wieland for the translation of Sabre in Japanese and found a common Japanese name in a Buffalo-area phone book.[3] Thus, when the 11th round surfaced, Imlach chose to select star center Taro Tsujimoto of the Japanese Hockey League's Tokyo Katanas.[1] The NHL made the pick official, and so it was reported by all major media outlets including The Hockey News.[1][2]

Imlach did not acknowledge the fake draft pick until weeks later. The NHL would eventually change the pick to an "invalid claim" for its official record-keeping purposes (Campbell not finding it nearly as funny as Imlach), but this was after Tsujimoto's name had appeared in several NHL publications.[1][2] Tsujimoto is still listed among Sabres' draft picks in the Sabres media guide.[4]

Taro quickly became an inside joke for Sabres' fans and staffers.[3] For years after the pick, fans would chant "We Want Taro" when games at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium became one-sided. In addition, for many years, banners would be hung from the balcony rail stating "Taro Says..." followed by a witty commment against an opponent or player for the opponent.

That is so badass.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read about that several years back. Pretty funny stuff. I do like how the Sabres still officially acknowledge the pick, lol.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I remember it well. It was very funny. Shows how far back I go. I was driving downtown once in front of city hall and a car cut me off on the circle. I yelled out the window "YOU ASSHOLE" my wife started laughing and said that "asshole" is Punch Imlach.

I was so pissed I said "I don't care he's still an asshole".

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also remember that when it happened....

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good story, never heard about it.

Anyone remembers why Ruotsalainen was protected by Edmonton for so many years, even after he officially retired?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of that classic exchange in Major League:

Owner: “Here’s who we’ll be inviting to camp.”
GM: “This guy is dead.”
Owner: “Cross him off, then!”

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nothing new for the Sabres.

They've been playing a joke on the fans for almost 40 years now.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Good story, never heard about it.

Anyone remembers why Ruotsalainen was protected by Edmonton for so many years, even after he officially retired?

Canucks kept Leif Rohlin on their protected roster for years and years.
I think it had something to do with when you made a claim, you needed to unprotect one of your players, and he'd always be the name to expose. I don't know the details of it, however.

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Canucks kept Leif Rohlin on their protected roster for years and years.
I think it had something to do with when you made a claim, you needed to unprotect one of your players, and he'd always be the name to expose. I don't know the details of it, however.
But that also meant they left unprotected one of their active players. Very strange logic :confused:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
But that also meant they left unprotected one of their active players. Very strange logic :confused:

yeah, I never quite figured it out either.
at that time, we may not have had 21 legitimate NHL players to protect :(