• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tarell Brown fined $5,250 for uniform rules violation

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's a little ridiculous. The red sleeves did stand out, though.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Chris, or anyone for that matter, do you know how the fines work? I mean do the players have to actually sit down and write a check or is it just simply deducted from their gameday paychecks by the team's HR and then forwarded to the NFL?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because THAT'S what's ruining the integrity of the game, Goodell.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's a costy price (five gs) for trying to look pretty.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Brown was unaware of the rule then a warning would have sufficed. If, however, he did know (and I'm fairly certain he did) then he got what he deserved, and maybe the fine will serve its intended purpose.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Chris, or anyone for that matter, do you know how the fines work? I mean do the players have to actually sit down and write a check or is it just simply deducted from their gameday paychecks by the team's HR and then forwarded to the NFL?

They are automatically deducted from a player's paycheck. So technically when an NFL player offers to pay for another player's fine, like some players have done, he can't actually take the fine notice itself and pay it for the player in violation. He would have to directly reimburse the player himself.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Brown was unaware of the rule then a warning would have sufficed. If, however, he did know (and I'm fairly certain he did) then he got what he deserved, and maybe the fine will serve its intended purpose.

It's probably written in those guidelines that no one really reads but "signs" off on it to participate in the games...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

All players are inspected prior to the game so that they are in compliance. I'm not sure if that changed under the new CBA or it didn't carry over with the new Nike jerseys, though I doubt it would for the latter. What I don't know is since that is the case, or was in the past, is how players can still be in violation of the uniform code if they are all inspected prior to the game. Many or all players must make changes after these inspections that cause them to be in violation of the rules?

Merton Hanks (former 49ers DB) heads up the department that inspects the players' jerseys. If these inspections still do exist, and I'd be shocked if the NFL did away with them, you can be sure that every NFL player at one point was made aware of SOME, but most likely all, of the things the league looks out for.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably written in those guidelines that no one really reads but "signs" off on it to participate in the games...

Could be - I must admit I have personal experience with "those" types of rules myself.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I should have done a google search before posting some of what I just did. I just did one and found this. It's from 2007, so like I just said, the process may have changed a bit and this doesn't go into great detail, but I'll post it anyways.

Meet the NFL's Uniform Police - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

So, how does this process work? An official will visit the locker rooms a few hours prior to kickoff to check the uniforms and equipment. The officials look at the players during warm ups and inspect them again prior to kickoff. Once everything has been approved, they'll then visit with the game officials, who also help enforce the policies throughout the game. You can always spot the official on the sidelines with a notebook and scribbling furiously noting any violations as they take place.

Most recently, officials have had to look out for gooey-like substances that running backs will put on their jersey to make it harder for a defender to tackle them. Throughout the game, the uniform officials are looking at things like helmets, towels, wristbands, socks, shoes, jerseys, and pants just to name a few. Their uniform pants must be worn below the kneecaps, which can be confining and wide receivers are consistently fined for this. This year the league outlawed helmet visors unless a player can provide a doctor's prescription.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have done a google search before posting some of what I just did. I just did one and found this. It's from 2007, so like I just said, the process may have changed a bit and this doesn't go into great detail, but I'll post it anyways.

Meet the NFL's Uniform Police - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

So, how does this process work? An official will visit the locker rooms a few hours prior to kickoff to check the uniforms and equipment. The officials look at the players during warm ups and inspect them again prior to kickoff. Once everything has been approved, they'll then visit with the game officials, who also help enforce the policies throughout the game. You can always spot the official on the sidelines with a notebook and scribbling furiously noting any violations as they take place.

Most recently, officials have had to look out for gooey-like substances that running backs will put on their jersey to make it harder for a defender to tackle them. Throughout the game, the uniform officials are looking at things like helmets, towels, wristbands, socks, shoes, jerseys, and pants just to name a few. Their uniform pants must be worn below the kneecaps, which can be confining and wide receivers are consistently fined for this. This year the league outlawed helmet visors unless a player can provide a doctor's prescription.

It would seem between your two posts, there may a case for innocence on Browns part. If so, Then I guess the only unfinished business would be who is going to pay the fine?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game and i didn't even notice it. Some of these fines are ridiculous.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You won't be seeing Alex Smith in SF Giants hat in post game press conferences. He was fined $15k last year. Merton Hanks at league office decided to rescind fine and give a warning instead. Smith said Wes Welker also received warning."

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
merton hanks is the uniform police?