• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Changes OT rules. Must go for 2 after 2nd OT

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panel approves changes to overtime rules in football | NCAA.com

I'm ok with that. I do think it would have been better just to have teams go for 2 after every OT period. Why wait for the 2nd OT?

I do believe that an underdog, if they score a TD late in the game, will go for the win right then and there.
I think I like still having the first OT keep the XP kick. It can give the special teams a chance to be the hero. Obviously it gets redundant, so I'm glad they've changed it in the 2nd OT.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not seeing how this makes anything better. 2-point plays are low percentage. Why is a 6-6 OT preferable to a 7-7 one?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not seeing how this makes anything better. 2-point plays are low percentage. Why is a 6-6 OT preferable to a 7-7 one?

2 point plays don't seem to be that low to me. I've actually heard good arguments for why teams should consider going for 2 points every time.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 8.59.21 AM.png

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 point plays don't seem to be that low to me. I've actually heard good arguments for why teams should consider going for 2 points every time.

View attachment 270742
This was a very interesting article. Especially, the very last paragraph about high schools. In 1961 my high school was undefeated and won the Chicago City Championship along with the "mythical" state championship. We never attempted a one point extra point. Truth be told, we did not have anybody who could kick an extra point.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 270742
That paper does not support going for 2 every time, only going for 2 after the first TD when you are down by 14. It does depend on the efficacy of your kicker. We went for 2 a lot my junior year, largely because our place kicking was just plain bad.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That paper does not support going for 2 every time, only going for 2 after the first TD when you are down by 14. It does depend on the efficacy of your kicker. We went for 2 a lot my junior year, largely because our place kicking was just plain bad.

I view it like when you shoot for teams in basketball. You don't shoot layups to determine teams because of the high probability of hitting that shot over and over again. When XP's are in the 90's, it doesn't do anything but make it much more likely to extend the game longer (that is if teams are scoring TD's). With a 2 pt conversion being forced, the probability goes way down that both teams will hit it. 40%+ conversion rate is perfect, IMO, for keeping these games from going long. I like the change, and I'd rather see a team lose due to the offense/defense, as opposed to special teams. Just a personal preference.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with that. I do think it would have been better just to have teams go for 2 after every OT period. Why wait for the 2nd OT?
Agreed. The point of overtime, after giving both teams a chance on offense, should be to get the game over with as quickly as possible.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I view it like when you shoot for teams in basketball. You don't shoot layups to determine teams because of the high probability of hitting that shot over and over again. When XP's are in the 90's, it doesn't do anything but make it much more likely to extend the game longer (that is if teams are scoring TD's). With a 2 pt conversion being forced, the probability goes way down that both teams will hit it. 40%+ conversion rate is perfect, IMO, for keeping these games from going long. I like the change, and I'd rather see a team lose due to the offense/defense, as opposed to special teams. Just a personal preference.
I agree with the last statement.

My team has lost multiple OT games by missed PATs. In fact, if placekicking didn’t exist we’d have a better record in general over the past decade plus. (At a minimum, there would’ve been no kick 6. Ugh!!!!!!)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The point of overtime, after giving both teams a chance on offense, should be to get the game over with as quickly as possible.
Disagree with your last sentence. The goal shouldn’t be to get the game over, it is for the best team to win. Generally the better team has the better kicker/special teams.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with your last sentence. The goal shouldn’t be to get the game over, it is for the best team to win. Generally the better team has the better kicker/special teams.
You know, it could be said that if you are looking for the best team in a game, there shouldn't be any overtime at all. End the game in a tie.

The "best team" is determined over the course of an entire game, which includes, field position, turnovers, punts, kickoffs, everything
that makes up a game. There is very little of that in OT. Field position is identical. No punts. No kickoffs.

If teams play 60 minutes of football and are tied at the end...it should end like that.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just adopt the NFL regular season format. College OT has been dumb as hell from the start.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should Rochambeau each other until one stands.