• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanking

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite obvious that tanking should not be tolerated.
But what is the punishment?

This is a group of friends, and this was a one-time occurrence in the final week of the fantasy dynasty season.
He essentially left his entire lineup on his bench.

I am fairly certain he will not be asked to be banished since we are all friends. I don't want that either.
The other scenario is that it really doesn't impact the standings. He was not a playoff team. He was not playing against a potential playoff team.
And since this was the final week of the season (and prior to the Monday Night game) a loss would not have moved him from the eighth seed (which would mean he is fifth to pick in next year's rookie draft).

So what if all these scenarios did impact playoff spots and seeding?
If expulsion is not an immediate option, what kind of penalties can be imposed?
Curious to hear your thoughts.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I ran my league the old school way...meaning not online, I would impose a 25-point penalty to teams that didn't send in a lineup. Even if you were going with the same lineup you had to let me know that. Now, that I run everything online I don't know. It hasn't been an issue with my crew. In some other unimportant leagues that I've played in I've lost to people when half their lineup was on bye or IR. It's annoying as hell. Clearly, those people have bailed and haven't been keeping up. I lost a game a few weeks ago when they had Raheem Mostert, Michael Thomas, and some other guys on bye.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a group of friends, and this was a one-time occurrence in the final week of the fantasy dynasty season.

I am fairly certain he will not be asked to be banished since we are all friends. I don't want that either.
The other scenario is that it really doesn't impact the standings. He was not a playoff team. He was not playing against a potential playoff team.
And since this was the final week of the season (and prior to the Monday Night game) a loss would not have moved him from the eighth seed (which would mean he is fifth to pick in next year's rookie draft).

Commish enters best possible lineup on Tuesday morning, and laughs at complaints by the tanker.

Problem solved.

Preferably handled on Sunday morning ahead of the fact…making sure to still laugh at any complaints by the would-be tanker.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did adjust his lineup as a "best ball" lineup which was a reasonable remedy given the situation.

That said, what if the situation has extenuating circumstances? What if his opponent is on the verge of making the playoffs? If that were the case, the "tanker" could essentially be awarded a win which directly impacts a legitimate playoff contender.

Should a TIE be awarded? A tie still hurts the "tanking" team but benefits the playoff team.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

been having this discussion with several guys for a league, and we're leaning towards rookie draft pick penalty, like your 2nd round pick becomes end of 3rd or something like that.

I like OBX's idea in D2 for keeping a tally of inactive/bye week players that remain in starting lineups and using that as the 1st tie breaker for non-playoff teams too. Won't penalize someone for making a bad decision, as long as that decision involves a player that suits up for the game.

I'd even argue that tanking is a good strategy for bad teams in dynasty...but you still need to put a complete lineup out there on game day. I traded a 3rd round pick for Geno Smith due to having 3 QBs on bye in one league this year, shit happens, pivot and move on.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we're leaning towards rookie draft pick penalty, like your 2nd round pick becomes end of 3rd or something like that.
Interesting.

Guess i am just a little surprised this morning. In 3 seasons, this is the first and only flagrant altercation. The owner deliberately left most of his lineup empty. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may have also have done the math and realized that a mostly blank lineup would not impact any seeding or rankings.
Maybe.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I know you only do free leagues, it's something that often comes with the territory (free public ones often have guys abandon teams half-way through). . ... that said, it sounds like this is a group of friends that have been doing the league for several yrs - tough call, but in fairness, it's unlikely he did unintentionally. I like the Monkey idea of attacking the draft spot (which is the reason to do it to begin with). Maybe a 3-4 draft spot penalty in the 1st would be more appropriate. .. but that only works if the offender hasn't traded the pick.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been having this discussion with several guys for a league, and we're leaning towards rookie draft pick penalty, like your 2nd round pick becomes end of 3rd or something like that.

I like OBX's idea in D2 for keeping a tally of inactive/bye week players that remain in starting lineups and using that as the 1st tie breaker for non-playoff teams too. Won't penalize someone for making a bad decision, as long as that decision involves a player that suits up for the game.

I'd even argue that tanking is a good strategy for bad teams in dynasty...but you still need to put a complete lineup out there on game day. I traded a 3rd round pick for Geno Smith due to having 3 QBs on bye in one league this year, shit happens, pivot and move on.

There is a difference between tanking and being a bad owner who doesnt fill their responsibilities as an owner... Real tanking is so much worse... because you are purposely doing it and it is clear to everyone that you are tanking...

true tanking should be penalized more harshly than irresponsible ownership...

irresponsible ownership should also be penalized... But really just as a tie breaker IMO... like if 2 teams have the same record, the team with more empty spots should not get the better position(both draft spot and playoff birth)

True tanking, i would say they should automatically get the WORST non playoff draft spot...

forfeiting a 2nd round pick is not really a deterrent, as you are still giving them the reward of that top pick they wanted...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lost to a guy who only had 3 players active and the rest were on IR and he had a bench that could have be used. So naturally that pissed me off and it appears will be costing me a play off spot... But it's a Free league so that sh&t happens all the time, which I HATE!

Money league... Banish said person, period!

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference between tanking and being a bad owner who doesnt fill their responsibilities as an owner... Real tanking is so much worse... because you are purposely doing it and it is clear to everyone that you are tanking...

true tanking should be penalized more harshly than irresponsible ownership...

irresponsible ownership should also be penalized... But really just as a tie breaker IMO... like if 2 teams have the same record, the team with more empty spots should not get the better position(both draft spot and playoff birth)

True tanking, i would say they should automatically get the WORST non playoff draft spot...

forfeiting a 2nd round pick is not really a deterrent, as you are still giving them the reward of that top pick they wanted...

I think we are defining the word tanking differently. I'm talking about selling off all of your starters that aren't young for picks/young players, which ultimately should lead you to fielding a crap team for a season or two. still have to fill out a starting lineup, but with shitty players

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
purposely leaving blank spots in your roster or benching clear starters for no name players should be penalized.

selling off all your assets for future pieces should be encouraged, and more teams should pursue that option, imo

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
purposely leaving blank spots in your roster or benching clear starters for no name players should be penalized.

selling off all your assets for future pieces should be encouraged, and more teams should pursue that option, imo
bingo GIF

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is trying to lose to improve draft position right?

So most fair thing, IMO is that any blatant tanker should automatically move to the end of the draft order. Or at least after all the non-playoff teams pick.

Sounds like he is already close to that anyway.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes tanking by trading away players for picks is all good. Starting shrubs over studs or even worse leaving a position empty is not good or acceptable. I've had FF players tell me it's fine as long as you have a legal lineup and I can never agree with that. Had a league almost blow up over the topic, happily at the end everyone agreed to start their best players and followed through. Funny note the tanking owner won his match despite benching studs. I'll just quit a league ( at the end of season) if I see that sort of tanking.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat echoing Monkeys thoughts on the punishment...I feel the loss- or reduction of- draft picks is the most obvious penalty for tanking.

For me, that's the ultimate sacrilege..tanking...it's blasphemous..and imho, a tanker loses thier #1, or at minimum, gets reduced to the last pick in the first. It's like the ultimate sin in my fantasy handbook.

But it's gotta be blatent, starting a questionable few choices is one thing, and it's not tanking, putting your QB1, RB1, and WR1 on the bench of no apparent reason..now you've got a case.

As to the other team? Well, such is life. Any random week throughout the season owners can pick up easy W's against a team who left in injured or bye week players, and that W can be the difference between making the playoffs or not. Whether it happened in week 5 or week 14. Can't do anything about it in week 5, no reason to think anything needs to be done about it week 14 either.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is no rule written on it, the action taken should be nothing.

Then a rule should be established for moving forward.
Actually, there is a rule. i.e. Tanking will not be tolerated.
It's just that there is no explanation of the action that will be taken if it happens.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did adjust his lineup as a "best ball" lineup which was a reasonable remedy given the situation.

That said, what if the situation has extenuating circumstances? What if his opponent is on the verge of making the playoffs? If that were the case, the "tanker" could essentially be awarded a win which directly impacts a legitimate playoff contender.

Should a TIE be awarded? A tie still hurts the "tanking" team but benefits the playoff team.

Nah. If the “best ball” lineup beats the playoff contender, that is marked under the tough luck category.

But that’s why I added the Sunday morning commish setting the lineup.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is team in money league but it didnt work they are winning:suds:
1639439986824.png

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, there is a rule. i.e. Tanking will not be tolerated.
It's just that there is no explanation of the action that will be taken if it happens.
That statement is enough to punish.

Maybe drop them from first to last in the first round, as others have mentioned.

Only have had to deal with this from one person ever. And it still motivates me in the lone league I still play with him. I’ve never won the league, but neither has he.