• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanking

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about this a little bit. One way to cure tanking is to lock in the relevant stat as of the week they were eliminated, the easiest example being if lowest FF points per week determines draft order for those who didn't make the playoffs. Once you've been eliminated from playoff contention subsequent weeks don't count, your FF points per week are locked, and tanking gets you nothing.

Just a thought.
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.
This punishment also encompasses different scenarios and situations.

Thanks Wil.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a good tanking idea...

beginning of the season, you choose whether you want to compete or play for the future.

Only teams that choose play for the future can get the top 3 picks

only teams that choose play for now can make the playoffs...

so it is a gamble on your team from day 1 of the dynasty season...

there is really no such thing as tanking in redraft leagues...

Problem with this idea is obviously that you have to have correct analysis of your team before the season starts... if you think you are a go for it now team, and your team in reality sucks, then you are shit out of luck... or the opposite....

but it could be a fun experiment...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe I overlooked my home league playoffs. It’s a redraft, but would apply to dynasty as well.

Simply, it’s a parallel playoffs. Bottom six have their playoffs. Last and next to last get byes. 7v8, 9v10… and so on.

This would, at least, slow tanking in dynasty I think.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe I overlooked my home league playoffs. It’s a redraft, but would apply to dynasty as well.

Simply, it’s a parallel playoffs. Bottom six have their playoffs. Last and next to last get byes. 7v8, 9v10… and so on.

This would, at least, slow tanking in dynasty I think.
Also has the advantage of keeping people interested deeper into the season.

But has the disadvantage that a truly awful team won’t get a high pick.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite obvious that tanking should not be tolerated.
But what is the punishment?

This is a group of friends, and this was a one-time occurrence in the final week of the fantasy dynasty season.
He essentially left his entire lineup on his bench.

I am fairly certain he will not be asked to be banished since we are all friends. I don't want that either.
The other scenario is that it really doesn't impact the standings. He was not a playoff team. He was not playing against a potential playoff team.
And since this was the final week of the season (and prior to the Monday Night game) a loss would not have moved him from the eighth seed (which would mean he is fifth to pick in next year's rookie draft).

So what if all these scenarios did impact playoff spots and seeding?
If expulsion is not an immediate option, what kind of penalties can be imposed?
Curious to hear your thoughts.
Just seeing this, sorry life has been crazy, but I would have the commish alter his lineup and put in the normal starters. If it doesn't change anything then its no harm but use it as a means to communicate with the league that it wont be tolerated in the future.

Just my $0.02

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also has the advantage of keeping people interested deeper into the season.

But has the disadvantage that a truly awful team won’t get a high pick.

Bottom two teams have guarantee of a top four pick. But I agree, not always helpful for bettering awful.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom two teams have guarantee of a top four pick. But I agree, not always helpful for bettering awful.

That’s why I like my previous idea. Let the teams after week one decide what type of team they are. Rebuild or competitor. I mean it is kind of the way it already is. Just more transparency

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s why I like my previous idea. Let the teams after week one decide what type of team they are. Rebuild or competitor. I mean it is kind of the way it already is. Just more transparency

I think I’m very anti-that.

Rebuilding doesn’t really make sense to me. One draft pick doesn’t rebuild much. And what’s the point if you declare no contest from week two on?

What does a rebuilder do when they bang off four wins in a row?

Not saying you’re wrong. I’ve been terrible in D1 and D2 for years as I sell picks for players to try and compete…but with the right moves and some luck on waivers, bad can become good pretty quickly.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I appreciate the idea, I am in @TKOSpikes camp. Way too much to monitor or consider. I am all about being simple and easy.

And actually, this post did generate some nice discussion, but I should have just looked at our dynasty rules before posting this. Our rules state very simply: owners suspected of tanking will be subject to league votes for banishment.

If others agree, he his gone. If not, he stays. Simple and to the point.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I appreciate the idea, I am in @TKOSpikes camp. Way too much to monitor or consider. I am all about being simple and easy.

And actually, this post did generate some nice discussion, but I should have just looked at our dynasty rules before posting this. Our rules state very simply: owners suspected of tanking will be subject to league votes for banishment.

If others agree, he his gone. If not, he stays. Simple and to the point.

Someone mentioned something a few post ago and made me think of the NHL and NBA's lottery draft. Maybe something to consider.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the aftermath of the situation that started it all in my other dynasty league, it turned out to be nothing really.
It was the final week of the fantasy regular season. The owner did his math and correctly calculated that win or lose, he would be locked in to 8th place. So he left his lineup a shambles for the final week (and only left 3 players in).
We talked. The league spoke up too.
All water under the bridge now.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of the ideas if not all are great...however no matter what we do tanking impacts the standings way too much

it really pisses me off having a guy finish 1st instead of 2nd as he was lucky enough to play a tanker in the last week----

or worse make the playoffs as the last team after smoking a tanker...

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the aftermath of the situation that started it all in my other dynasty league, it turned out to be nothing really.
It was the final week of the fantasy regular season. The owner did his math and correctly calculated that win or lose, he would be locked in to 8th place. So he left his lineup a shambles for the final week (and only left 3 players in).
We talked. The league spoke up too.
All water under the bridge now.
Water under the bridge, but a consideration for future rules. It’s nice if the rules handle it rather than a vote.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have the WINNING idea to prevent tanking.

Before every season starts you create a best ball league of everyone’s week one roster.

At end of season you see how the standings coincide. If there is any drastic differences then that that team is penalized for tanking. And the draft order should always be based on total points(other than playoff teams) not by record.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have the WINNING idea to prevent tanking.

Before every season starts you create a best ball league of everyone’s week one roster.

At end of season you see how the standings coincide. If there is any drastic differences then that that team is penalized for tanking. And the draft order should always be based on total points(other than playoff teams) not by record.

No way.

That doesn’t always indicate tanking. Especially when you have a number of fringy guys on your roster.

Sometimes you pick wrong.

Would be awful to penalize for that. Like kicking somebody when they are down.

For example, I had Higbee and Hunter Henry in D2 this year. I swear I picked wrong 80% of the time. Wasn’t trying to pick the wrong guy, just had bad luck with it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way.

That doesn’t always indicate tanking. Especially when you have a number of fringy guys on your roster.

Sometimes you pick wrong.

Would be awful to penalize for that. Like kicking somebody when they are down.

For example, I had Higbee and Hunter Henry in D2 this year. I swear I picked wrong 80% of the time. Wasn’t trying to pick the wrong guy, just had bad luck with it.

I probably should have been more clear about the proposal. The best ball league is not the draft order. It just helps decide it.

It’s intended just to see how good you did this season whether you made the right trades or made the right sits and starts.

Also it is intended to see if a team was really that bad or if the owner just tanked the season.

But ultimately it has to be decided how you want to penalize no matter what.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably should have been more clear about the proposal. The best ball league is not the draft order. It just helps decide it.

It’s intended just to see how good you did this season whether you made the right trades or made the right sits and starts.

Also it is intended to see if a team was really that bad or if the owner just tanked the season.

But ultimately it has to be decided how you want to penalize no matter what.

But that is my point.

Can’t use best ball in that way to spot tanking.

Tanking is losing on purpose. That would be like sitting your best players in favor of scrubs/role
Players. That is easy to see and fairly obvious if someone is doing it.