• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Takeaways from today's game

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* Foles is not playing with a lot of confidence right now. He is holding the ball too long and seems afraid to throw it, as if he knows he can't possibly turn it over less than last year. He just needs to go out and play and not worry too much. But most of all, he has to stop holding the ball so damn long. Hopefully Chip adjusts the routes to give him some more obvious early reads.

* The Mathis injury could be costly, but David Molk did a surprisingly good job stepping in. Molk is a center and is undersized for guard but he is a Rimington Award winner, the college award for the best center, and was quite good at Michigan. Maybe he can be OK.

* Barbre sucks. He looked OK in limited duty at LT last season but has looked completely lost at RT. I didn't think Garner was any worse than Barbre. But that's not because I think Garner is good.

* Sproles is a weapon on special teams. His punt return ability was huge today. Major upgrade in that area. He gets 15 yard punt returns like it's nothing.

* Shady doesn't hit holes hard. Never will. You just have to live with the good and bad of McCoy it seems. The cameras caught Duce yelling at him at one point, telling him to stop messing around. Not sure if you guys saw that. Either way he won't change.

* Cooper looked rusty. He missed preseason and it showed. He and Foles usually have a connection and today they were off. I hope he improves because he seems to calm Foles down.

* Ertz is our best receiver. He looks like he can live up to the hype.

* The defense is improved overall. I like this front seven against the run. Notice Brandon Graham playing on Barwin's side today and being effective?

* Malcolm Jenkins is not great but he is a great upgrade for us. My brain is still scarred from Patrick Chung.

* Nate Allen is mediocre and needs to be replaced. Did I see Earl Wolff out there more as the game went on? Not sure if that was just a formation thing or what.

* The new kicker is an upgrade. He can kick it out of the end zone and has range. I am optimistic that he will be better than Henery at this point--not saying much.

Speedy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles looked really bad. I dont why, but he looked like hed rather get sacked than throw an incompletion. I think hes letting that td/int ratio of last year get to his head. Thus game, on that level is 99% mental, only thing that separates jeff George from brett favre is mental makeup. He looked bad from start till finish, that ball to maclin fir the td was baaaadly over thrown. This game worries me a bit, but I have faith he will be decent.

Shady looks out of shape, he looks like he doesn't want to get touched, and hes trying to be too muchblike barry sanders and not enough of lesean mccoy. One of the things I liked sbout josey was his one cut and up the hole. Shady lwft at least 20 yards on the turf today.

Maclin, ertz and mathews played lifhts out. The stats dont show it, but they were wide open all game long, maclin should have had 2 more td's if foles didnt decide to channel his inner mcnabb.

Our defense pretty much pitched a shutout, they held the jags to 3 and outs most of the game, or close to it when they werent forced to bail out foles' mistakes. Our safeties are really good, its hard to see how good if you dont know what your looking for but jenkins and allen both played well in coverage, and even better vs run support A+ fir thise guys.

Our front 7 is beyond good. BG, Barwin, Ryans, kendricks and cole beat Gerhart up today, by the 3rd quarter he was tiptoing through the hole. Cole came up with a big play at the end, but BG, Jenkins and boykin were the real stars today.

Carry wiliams is the worst starting cb in the league by far... ive been saying it fir 2 years... he stinks. He has poor technique, poor ball skills and the stiffest, most unathletic hips ive seen on a DB since tim huak.

WE HAVE A REAL KICKER!!!!

SP TMs is now a strength, sproles is like a baby brian mitchell, he doesn't dance, he catches the punt and heads up field... thank god, its the difference between starting at the 15, and the 25.

Overall, ill give two grades, the eagles overall A, nick foles was single handedly the reason we looked so bad today. If he is decent, mid tier; he could sanchez us to victory. But if he plays anywhere like this game, we are screwed.

Thats is all... time's yours.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think part of Nick holding onto the ball too much is that the receivers weren't getting open and the offensive line were letting their guys go and that put Nick in a tough spot

Darren Sproles was such a great asset today - he can do a little bit of everything and he'll take a lot of pressure off of Shady

Speedy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles gets a F+.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles looked really bad. I dont why, but he looked like hed rather get sacked than throw an incompletion. I think hes letting that td/int ratio of last year get to his head. Thus game, on that level is 99% mental, only thing that separates jeff George from brett favre is mental makeup. He looked bad from start till finish, that ball to maclin fir the td was baaaadly over thrown. This game worries me a bit, but I have faith he will be decent.

Shady looks out of shape, he looks like he doesn't want to get touched, and hes trying to be too muchblike barry sanders and not enough of lesean mccoy. One of the things I liked sbout josey was his one cut and up the hole. Shady lwft at least 20 yards on the turf today.

Maclin, ertz and mathews played lifhts out. The stats dont show it, but they were wide open all game long, maclin should have had 2 more td's if foles didnt decide to channel his inner mcnabb.

Our defense pretty much pitched a shutout, they held the jags to 3 and outs most of the game, or close to it when they werent forced to bail out foles' mistakes. Our safeties are really good, its hard to see how good if you dont know what your looking for but jenkins and allen both played well in coverage, and even better vs run support A+ fir thise guys.

Our front 7 is beyond good. BG, Barwin, Ryans, kendricks and cole beat Gerhart up today, by the 3rd quarter he was tiptoing through the hole. Cole came up with a big play at the end, but BG, Jenkins and boykin were the real stars today.

Carry wiliams is the worst starting cb in the league by far... ive been saying it fir 2 years... he stinks. He has poor technique, poor ball skills and the stiffest, most unathletic hips ive seen on a DB since tim huak.

WE HAVE A REAL KICKER!!!!

SP TMs is now a strength, sproles is like a baby brian mitchell, he doesn't dance, he catches the punt and heads up field... thank god, its the difference between starting at the 15, and the 25.

Overall, ill give two grades, the eagles overall A, nick foles was single handedly the reason we looked so bad today. If he is decent, mid tier; he could sanchez us to victory. But if he plays anywhere like this game, we are screwed.

Thats is all... time's yours.

I agree with a lot of this but not the part about Williams. He is mediocre, sure, but I think Bradley Fletcher is the bigger liability. At least Williams hits people.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shady looks out of shape? He's probably in the best shape of his life.

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles getting rid of the ball so quickly last year was a 'trait' we all loved about him last year.... if he continues to regress in just this one part of his skill set... this will not be a pretty season.

Note that it's almost impossible to be worse than the Natives, Cowgirlz & Girlie Men... but we certainly expect progress TOWARDS the elite in the league.

greenfever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has too learn too throw the ball away

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles sucks worst QB ever, cut him right now. Damn are you guys listening to yourselves? It was a tail of two halve for Foles. First half he looked terrible, I give him an F, second half he looked very good I give him an A. Overall a C performance.

Now conversely Shady didnt look good at all to me, he tried to bounce everything outside, was doing too much shady dancing at the line of scrimmage. Overall I give him a C for the game.

Jason Peters looked terrible in the first half, Chris Clemons made Jason his bitch most of the first half, while Foles was holding the ball some Peters didnt help he couldnt slow him down

Darrin Sproles is the man

Houston we have a Kicker

Conner Barwin is our best defensive player he should be a pro bowler this year

Love the way Ertz is playing, want to get the ball to the Tight ends more, that Tight end seem play was open all game long

Speedy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys watch the same game? Foles was dreadful in both halfs. He missed cooper, ertz, maclin, sproles and celek by at least 5 feet on some throws in the second half, not to mention the slant route that he threw 5 yards behind mathews with nothing but turf in front of him. He threw a very bad ball that ertz rescued fir his TD, and he threw a very underthrown ball to maclin on his touchdown. If maclin hadnt beat his guy by 15 yards that ball gets picked off. Forget the stat line, look at the actual events on the field. Foles looked really bad all game long.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree Speedy. He didn't have an A second half. The Jags totally blew some coverages and he connected on a few throws he had missed in the first half, but he wasn't crisp at all.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree Speedy. He didn't have an A second half. The Jags totally blew some coverages and he connected on a few throws he had missed in the first half, but he wasn't crisp at all.

No he was rattled, there is no second guessing on that....

But if he would just throw the damn ball away when it's not there, and move on he wouldn't get so rattled...

Hell Kelly even said it, they didn't change much at halftime, still the same game plan...

Bottomline it was a week one game, in September not December, let's see how they respond Monday night..

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles gets a F+.

Wtf is an F +? What institution gives out an F+? Was he that bad or was he bad, but not quite a failure for a grade? Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game. I did read another thread and it seems like most of you lost your marbles during the first half.:wtf2:

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf is an F +? What institution gives out an F+? Was he that bad or was he bad, but not quite a failure for a grade? Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game. I did read another thread and it seems like most of you lost your marbles during the first half.:wtf2:

Welcome to the new Eagles forum. You will have to join us during the chats on game day.

Easy to show up after the win and act like it was a breeze. Reguardless, depending on how good you think this team is, being down 17-0 to the worthless Jags is reason to question this team and how prepared they were. Any other team and we are down 30-0 and we don't come back. But hey, I'm sure you knew all along it would be a route...lol

Anyways, Foles looked like shit. Of course you may be one who looks at the stats and think, "wow, he did great". But I'm sure your not like that. He did have a better 2nd half though, so if you are looking for progress he did show that.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else think Sproles looked slow? I hope we don't regret cutting Josey.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really you came away with slow?

2 22 yard punt returns and a 49 yard TD... Maybe not the game changing speed he used to be, but I wouldn't say slow.

I do think having only 2 active RBS on game day is rather insane...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the new Eagles forum. You will have to join us during the chats on game day. .

What does this mean? Your taken a stance if somebody doesn't agree with your comments?
It's a sports board, everyone is gonna have their "own opinions" that's what's great about it,
But if your gonna troll other members on the board, you wont be here long, trust me I've seen it.

Speedy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F+ isnt a school grade, after all, this is a sports forum... He gets an F becuase he played poorly and really hurt the team, but he gets the plus because we got the win. The qb does get a slight bump imo if he gets the win, but he had little to do with it.

I guess us MO/kffl migrants need to toughen you guys up here lol

Speedy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez... what did you guys lead us into? Dont be so sensitive... most of us have been posting together for the better part of 16 years, we get a little chippy but I swear its not personal.