• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Take your pick: Duncan or Kobe

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple question.

Who was the best player of their era?

Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant?

I'm going with Timmy D

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan even if he loses. He took San Antonio and made them a model franchise. The Lakers have always been great and will be great without Kobe (well maybe they have Jim instead of Jerry but thats a whole nother thing), not to mention in 2002-2003 he had one of the best seasons since Jordan.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan probably gets the nod.

The main argument is that Duncan was always the alpha dog.

Kobe played Robin to Shaq for 6 seasons.
Shaq was 1st team all NBA for all 3 titles.

Timmy was 1st team all NBA/1st team all NBA defense all 4 title years.
No other Spurs made 1st/2nd/3rd team all NBA or all defense in 99,03,05,07.

Zilch, nada. only Duncan.

If the Spurs win in 2013, Tony Parker (2nd team) would be the first.

Black Belt Disciple

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan, hands down. And not just because he's faithful to his wife. There is a lot to say about someone's character and Kobe has none. In fact, Timmy is divorcing his wife cause she is a tramp like Kobe.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they summed up everything.

If I had to build a team from current players (but from the beginning of their career) Duncan is either #1 or #2. Kobe is not on my starting 5.

Duncan is higher on every list imo, GOAT, individual resume, team player and titles*.

*I know Kobe has one more but if we weight titles Duncan has 4, Kobe has 3.5.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be Duncan. Much better team player and leader. Spurs have never had a drop off in excellence since Duncan has been there. Like Bot says Kobe doesn't make the starting 5 on my GOAT team.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did not know that.....nice stat.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they summed up everything.

If I had to build a team from current players (but from the beginning of their career) Duncan is either #1 or #2. Kobe is not on my starting 5.

Duncan is higher on every list imo, GOAT, individual resume, team player and titles*.

*I know Kobe has one more but if we weight titles Duncan has 4, Kobe has 3.5.

There's no doubt in my mind Kobe deserved that All-NBA 1st team selection this year, tying him for most selections all time. Duncan has always had Parker and Ginobli, they had a big 3 before anybody (in the modern era). The Lakers of the late 90's and 00's were known as "Shaq AND Kobe". Stop trying to downplay his involvement/importance. Kobe was a big part of those titles and will go down as one of the greatest of all time, something we still can't say for LeBron, and his window for titles may be a little smaller than you think for what he wants to try to accomplish.

If you wanna weigh titles, LeBron has like .2 for running away and having 2 superstars on his team.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you wanna weigh titles, LeBron has like .2 for running away and having 2 superstars on his team.

This is always hilarious coming from Kobe fans. The guy already played for the Lakers and threatened to leave if they didn't move Shaq - the most dominant big man of his time.

Also, based on the way Bosh played last year in the playoffs, as well as this year, I would hardly call him a 'superstar' anymore

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is nuts.

It would be very hard to make a case for Kobe knowing this.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is always hilarious coming from Kobe fans. The guy already played for the Lakers and threatened to leave if they didn't move Shaq - the most dominant big man of his time.

Also, based on the way Bosh played last year in the playoffs, as well as this year, I would hardly call him a 'superstar' anymore

The team as a whole fell apart after that Finals with the Pistons. Pretty sure we didn't have anybody from the previous teams at all in the Kwame Brown Dark Years. Kobe then proceeded to have Jordan-esque seasons with nobody but Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, a Lamar Odom who spent his best seasons off the bench. The team as a whole reached their breaking point after that season, and that doesn't make it right but it was going to happen either way.

I agree with your thoughts on Bosh for this year. Last year he was still having his moments.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team as a whole fell apart after that Finals with the Pistons. Pretty sure we didn't have anybody from the previous teams at all in the Kwame Brown Dark Years. Kobe then proceeded to have Jordan-esque seasons with nobody but Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, a Lamar Odom who spent his best seasons off the bench. The team as a whole reached their breaking point after that season, and that doesn't make it right but it was going to happen either way.

I agree with your thoughts on Bosh for this year. Last year he was still having his moments.
Kobe was disgruntled and tried to get his first Finals MVP by going away from the game plan. He wanted the Finals to be all about him by shooting, more shooting and more shooting while denying Shaq the ball.

Outside of the Finals against Orlando, He's played below standards in his 7 finals appearances.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LBJ was the leader in points, rebounds and assists on his team of 3 total superstars.

Kobe then proceeded to have Jordan-esque seasons with nobody

Is it easier to put up good numbers among a team of greats or by your self?

Kobe's best seasons are only better then LBJs rookie season :laugh3:

Bosh still has his moments, like when he was the only one to play in SA and then won. We just forget his moments because he sucks so bad against the Pacers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, not true!! It was Shaq that ultimately forced the trade and the decision to trade Shaq was made by Dr. Buss!!

Shaq had been complaining about his contract and the final straw came during a pre-season game when Shaq dunked and looked directly at Dr. Buss who was sitting in the stands and screamed "You gonna pay me now?"

Also, part of the reason to trade Shaq rather than Kobe was age and work ethic. Kobe was younger and had a much stronger work ethic than Shaq!! Kobe has always stayed in game shape year round, while Shaq preferred to wait until training camp and the season to "play himself into shape"!!

It appears that Dr. Buss made the right call given that Shaq was relevant for 1 more season (the title in Miami) before bouncing around the league trying to get 1 more ring and Kobe stayed with the Lakers and made 3 more finals appearances and 2 more rings!!

heatmyshorts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple question.

Who was the best player of their era?

Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant?

I'm going with Timmy D

They are both top players of their era. I would give Duncan the edge because he contended with both Kobe and Shaq and both were no slouches. However the better question should be... would you take Tim Duncan over Kobe (before the Achilles injury) last preseason? Slight edge to Tim Duncan because he is better defensively. Kobe did play his hearts out though and adjusted his game as a facilitator somewhat.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's just go with that Finals loss to the Pistons. Loss in 5 with a very stacked team. Who came back the next year and beat an almost identical Pistons team in 7? Timmy D and company. Case closed. (Or does anyone want to get into Pop vesus Zen master?)

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBJ was the leader in points, rebounds and assists on his team of 3 total superstars.

Is it easier to put up good numbers among a team of greats or by your self?

Kobe's best seasons are only better then LBJs rookie season :laugh3:

Bosh still has his moments, like when he was the only one to play in SA and then won. We just forget his moments because he sucks so bad against the Pacers.

Yes, in a season where teams played almost every night and your whole style revolves around athleticism and running. The lockout totally didn't benefit you guys.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Duncan vs. Kobe!! Tough call, particularly since they play different positions. Assuming the Spurs win, they will have the same number of titles.

An argument can be made in Duncan's case that he was the leader for all of his titles, while Kobe would be considered the leader for 2-2.5 of his!!

Kobe has a 3 peat and a back to back to his credit as well as making the finals for 3 straight seasons twice. Duncan has never even made the finals in successive seasons!!

Can it be a tie? :noidea:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just go with that Finals loss to the Pistons. Loss in 5 with a very stacked team. Who came back the next year and beat an almost identical Pistons team in 7? Timmy D and company. Case closed. (Or does anyone want to get into Pop vesus Zen master?)

You can have your opinion. I more just disagreed with BOTSLAYERS points than anything.