• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Systemic failure

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for calling you a "difficult poster," brh, plus I flubbed the line so it didn't make any sense.....but if it did make sense, it would have been super duper powerful.

brh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because during that time, many lists were made regarding the top/hottest GM candidates available. Not one list had Phil Emery as a top GM candidate. As a matter of fact, no other team before or during that time even whispered Phil Emery's name as a successor of their GM position. Law of Supply and Demand would dictate that if these other candidates were more desired, then their pay would be higher.

So, BRH, show me a list of top GM candidates during the 2012 time period that include Phil Emery.

So, BRH, show me some articles dated 2012 or before showing other teams interested in Phil Emery.

So, BRH, how many other teams did Phil Emery interview with for a GM position, not just in 2012, but ever?

So, BRH, show me some articles dated 2012 or prior crediting Phil Emery as a potential GM candidate by the press or otherwise?

Please, by all means, you're up. I'd be interested to see them.

So, if you can't provide any article or lists that shows Phil Emery on any teams radar and I'll concede. Otherwise, one can reasonably assume through the law of supply and demand, so if no one else really wanted Phil Emery, then we can assume that the Bears got him at a very reasonable price. Nothing to drive up the price like the above mentioned candidates who had several teams after them.

Phil Emery wasn't a "hot GM candidate". He was a mostly unknown guy to the general public who became a first time GM and is most likely being paid accordingly. Where did I ever say otherwise? If you want someone to provide you with evidence that he was some big name that everyone was pursuing, you'll have to ask someone who actually thinks that was the case. I don't.

What I claimed was that most of the other guys on your list are no different. With the exception of DeCosta & Ross, the same thing can be said about all of them. They're all guys who were at the time (and many of them still are actually) generally unknown to the public and would have been first time GM's with somewhat similar resumes to Emery. Some of them got GM jobs with other teams and I would guess they are probably being paid similarly to him.

DeCosta & Ross are the 2 exceptions who are high profile guys that had previously been pursued by other teams and the Bears did include both of them in their search. DeCosta declined to interview just as he's done with all the other teams who were interested in him and Ross actually did interview with the Bears. Based on his behavior towards all the teams that have shown interest in him, I don't think he's ever had any intention of leaving Baltimore regardless of what other team it was. He appears to be happy to stay where he is and wait for Newsome to retire so he can have that job.

Ross is a curious case. He's been interviewed for GM jobs by multiple teams every offseason for the last 4 years, but hasn't been offered any of the jobs to the best of my knowledge. At some point you have to start to wonder what's going on with the guy. There has to be a reason everybody wants to interview him but nobody wants to hire him. Sad to say, I suspect it's the color of his skin. I see no reason to believe that money precluded the Bears from hiring him.

The only positive things I've read about Phil Emery being a great GM was after his hire in 2012 when the Bears' PR Department was in high gear.

Same here. Like I said in a previous post, I was skeptical of the Emery hire from the beginning and still am.

Correct. Well after everyone else had signed or gave their coaches and front office a contract extension....and the reason why the media made such a stink is because the Bears front office was dragging its feet and it demonstrated the typical McCaskey tightness of funds as they have through the years.

Seems like a stretch to me. They gave him the contract that he earned. The fact that it took them a week longer to negotiate it then the media would have liked doesn't mean anything to me. The also extended that contract multiple times when it was debatable if he still deserved it and finally ate millions to terminate it a year early..

Okay, fine. Now you prove your point. Just provide me a published list of top GM's for that time period that shows that Phil Emery was a top GM candidate.

Again, that was never my point. I never said anything of the sort. I don't deny that Bears have typically hired first timers for HC and GM. They obviously have. My point is that I don't see any evidence that money is the primary cause of that. I think the main reason is that experienced GM's and HC's that are both available and worth hiring are very rare. That's why I keep asking for examples. I just don't think there are very many of them out there.

You've got guys like Cowher & Gruden that people clamor for, but they both seem to be pretty clearly happy in the broadcast booth and have shown no real interest in coaching jobs. So I don't consider them to be realistic candidates. Maybe Holmgren, but he's getting pretty old and seemed kind of done coaching towards the end of his Seahawks tenure and was a big of a disaster running the Browns. Ron Wolf would be an awesome GM to have, but I don't think he has any intention of coming out of retirement any time soon.

See what I'm getting at now? It's not money that's the obstacle. It's finding a guy who's actually worth that extra money. I'm not going to fault ownership for not wanting to give a premium salary to some washed up failure just because he's an experienced name that people have heard of rather than paying less for a promising up & comer like Lovie was when he was hired and then paying him later when he's proven he deserves it.

I'm not interested in playing dumb here, brh. If you choose to turn a blind eye to a pattern of behavior of how GM or Head Coach candidates react to the Chicago Bears Front Office during these periods of transition, be my guest.

Once again, the Chicago Bears are one of the most storied franchises in all of sport, so you would think that candidates would be knocking down the door to become the next Chicago Bear GM or Head Coach, yet when we go through these times of transition, these candidates seem to be very fussy and irritable when dealing with the Bears Front Office (aka. Ted Phillips and the McCaskeys) and the big talent never seem to make it to the Halas Hall front doors.

Is it speculation? Sure. Very well researched speculation confirmed by a history of bad hires and years and years of failure.

I don't disagree that the Bears have a reputation of being difficult when it comes to hiring new GM's & HC's. I think they clearly do. I'm just skeptical that it's because of money and find it more interesting to discuss the real reasons for it. I think it had a lot to do with Micheal McCaskey being a meddling idiot back in the day. Like I said before, I don't think they've always been good owners. However I think they learned from that and have been much better over the past decade or so. They seemed to have realized that they need to put a football guy (first Angelo and now Emery) in charge of the football stuff, give him the necessary resources, and then stay out of the way. They obviously haven't always hired the right guy for that role, but they at least seem to be following the right philosophy.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe Emery was a hot candidate, not for what he did, but many teams expected he can be the next great GM.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bears just have to fix the draft so they can spread around half the cap to more than 10 players.

Bushrod looks nothing like he did last year, that Groy looked like he was playing for the Cowboys, throwing people around. Should be able to take over a guard spot next year. Lets see if they decide to move Long to tackle and let DLP play center. They have to keep getting draft wins. I know they will have to pay Alshon if they want to keep him, but we cant continue signing these old free agents.

The cowboys take alot of shit about Jerry Jones, but look at that drafted line, the kid they were supposed to use the pick to draft Manziel is a stud. I think Witten and Romo and their long snapper are the only guys in 10+ year , the rest of the team probably average 3 years pro.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laughed at the top of the line owners part of your post.

They are only interested in doing what needs to be done on the game side of things in order to not lose money.

As long as mediocrity continues to put asses in the seats(and it will, fanbase is too ingrained into the city to wane that fast) they will continue to be rich because of it. If they continue to be rich, why change?

TO BE EVEN RICHER.......DUH