• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Superbowl Week

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing people talking during interviews about how the Giants are such a hot team and should win the game. I agree with this. But what I don't get is, why do people keep saying that the Patriots backed into the Superbowl because of a missed field goal and the Giants went and flat out beat everybody?? Last I checked the Pats destroyed the Broncos (although it was basically a bye week) and were ahead of the Ravens and the missed field goal would have only tied the game. The Giants dominated everyone until the Niners. You can just as easily say (although I firmly don't buy it's the only reason) that they backed in with not one, but two bad fumbles. I just don't see the logic. Is this a slight to the 49ers or are they just counting everything the Giants have done and lumped the Niner game in with that?

I guess it doesn't matter either way, I just find it odd how many times I have heard it.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I keep hearing people talking during interviews about how the Giants are such a hot team and should win the game. I agree with this. But what I don't get is, why do people keep saying that the Patriots backed into the Superbowl because of a missed field goal and the Giants went and flat out beat everybody?? Last I checked the Pats destroyed the Broncos (although it was basically a bye week) and were ahead of the Ravens and the missed field goal would have only tied the game. The Giants dominated everyone until the Niners. You can just as easily say (although I firmly don't buy it's the only reason) that they backed in with not one, but two bad fumbles. I just don't see the logic. Is this a slight to the 49ers or are they just counting everything the Giants have done and lumped the Niner game in with that?

I guess it doesn't matter either way, I just find it odd how many times I have heard it.

I've heard similar stories - My guess the NY media is going to say the Giants arrived at the SB by way of a Sherman's March, while the Pats backed in. A friend of mine living in NC is hearing that both teams backed in, so I guess it is just a matter of where you live I guess.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can this be said about any game in the history of the NFL? Even if both teams scored every time and the last to possess the ball got it by way of fumbled punt return, you would still say that one reason was due to no defensive stops by the losing team. In a 3-0 overtime win where both defenses forced every 3 and out but won on a fumble on a punt return, we'd say one reason was the offense of the losing team.

Then, if every game has multiple reasons, it becomes relative. I personally then don't go into all the woulda, couldas for the whole game, just the biggest woulda/coulda.

- The Smith overthrow to Williams would have been huge, but doesn't have any more effect than giving them the ball so close in OT. There's an argument that we would have put the game away, but how many times have we won close or lost close in games that should have been put away? How many times have the Giants come back from very losable games?

- The first fumble was bad and if they hadn't scored, we might have. But how many times have we stalled on offense? It might have been a three and out with the only gain being time of possession. It might have been an ironic pick six. This, to me, isn't as big as people make it out to be, despite it leading to a go ahead score. We still had 9+ minutes (11+?) to win or lose it.

- The second fumble goes relatively unexplained. They could miss the FG like the Ravens, but that's as gimme as you get.

- The quick whistle had a bigger effect if we won the challenge (regardless or whether the challenge ruling would be right) on the game because we would have run the clock out for a FG or close to it. And it gave us less time to score even if it weren't as great field position (if this had occured on our end).

So yes, the offense could have done more. Heck, the defense could have done more if they didn't have two guys trying to intercept the same ball twice. But those misses aren't as big since they didn't score on either. It effected field position and time of possession, which is still huge.

No game is solely determined by one or the other. But to not blame the most direct effect is a semi-copout. I'd be blaming Smith if he threw a pick at the end, regardless of how the WR never got open, the defense dropped picks, Williams kneed the first. The only legitimate thing I'd point to would be the Bradshaw fumble but that's speculative.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get numb to it....

I live in CT, so its NY area for all who are concerned and via radios, newspapers, very good looking NYG fans(girls), ESPN, it's all on the Giants jock right now. What's coming around now is that Brady is "afraid" or concerned/nervous vs the NYG pass rush??? its hyperbole(if i'm using that term correctly)

All in all, I am oddly finding a hard time grasping that it finished the way it did. No way did I think the Giants beat us, matter that they just left the game as winner. Our offense(inept in few drives) weren't really being beaten, in fact, Anthony Davis, Synder, Goodwin, Iupati and Staley did as great a job as any in beating and stuffing those pass rushers....

I mean that look A Davis gave KW after the TO(Bingo's avatar) says it all... like GTFO, it went of the hands of both offense and defense(elite effort) and boom, game over....

ahhhhh, Bradshaw's fumble....

ahhh i haven't moved on.... so depressing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get numb to it....

I live in CT, so its NY area for all who are concerned and via radios, newspapers, very good looking NYG fans(girls), ESPN, it's all on the Giants jock right now. What's coming around now is that Brady is "afraid" or concerned/nervous vs the NYG pass rush??? its hyperbole(if i'm using that term correctly)

All in all, I am oddly finding a hard time grasping that it finished the way it did. No way did I think the Giants beat us, matter that they just left the game as winner. Our offense(inept in few drives) weren't really being beaten, in fact, Anthony Davis, Synder, Goodwin, Iupati and Staley did as great a job as any in beating and stuffing those pass rushers....

I mean that look A Davis gave KW after the TO(Bingo's avatar) says it all... like GTFO, it went of the hands of both offense and defense(elite effort) and boom, game over....

ahhhhh, Bradshaw's fumble....

ahhh i haven't moved on.... so depressing.

Well, I'm glad you clarified. And so quickly. I was starting to wonder in the time between the word 'fans' and the word 'girls'. That '(' got me wondering. You should have just skipped the parenthesis as that was too close for comfort.

No, I'm not homophobic, you humorphobe. Thanks for asking. ;)

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm glad you clarified. And so quickly. I was starting to wonder in the time between the word 'fans' and the word 'girls'. That '(' got me wondering. You should have just skipped the parenthesis as that was too close for comfort.

No, I'm not homophobic, you humorphobe. Thanks for asking. ;)

LOL, it took me a bit to find a way to word it. Cause last night, a cutie, was going off about her giants and i told her i'm a 49ers fan then she started saying giants kicked our ass and that i should get over it, so i went back and forth but held myself cause its no use.

plus she's a cutie and we've flirted beforehand, the last thing i need is that damn NFC title game to cost me a potential lady after all the drama and trauma it caused me ALREADY LMAO......

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a rough 2 weeks of Giants jock-sniffing for sure. I'm cheering for the Patriots as they are the lesser of 2 evils here. Too many bad memories of losing to the fucking Giants in my lifetime. Not to mention the most recent.