• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl Week

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Monday Night. I woke up this morning and felt so much closer to Super Bowl 48 than I did Sunday Morning. To me, getting past Sunday was a big mental mile stone. The game felt light years away yesterday, but now it feels close. Well, closer. I'm still not sure if it has really sunk in.

Last year I turned the game on just after half time and passively watched. I would have ignored it altogether but my wife actually wanted to see it. I was so bummed about the Broncos loss I didn't even care about what happened the rest of the way in the playoffs.

This year the game is relevant to me. I'm not the kind of fan who really gets into a Super Bowl when my team isn't playing, so this is a major treat. And while I am completely over the sub-plots and non-football related stories, I am really enjoying this week. It's almost surreal. And I plan on enjoying this game no matter what, because I plan on enjoying watching my Denver Broncos play in the Super Bowl. In 2007 I was fuming mad about the way the Rockies were playing in the World Series. It took me until midway through game 3 before it dawned on me: "I am watching the Colorado Rockies play in the World Series. I am a fan of one of the least successful teams in MLB and I am watching them play in the World Series!" Sure I was disappointed in the outcome, but I made it a point to enjoy the ride from that point on. And I plan on doing the same with these Broncos and the Super Bowl.

I was midway through my senior year in high school when the Broncos steam rolled the Atlanta Falcons en route to their second Lombardi Trophy. After a 14-2 season, and given I was not a very analytical fan back then, I sort of assumed the Broncos would win, and even though we all knew Elway was on his way out, I figured the Broncos would have a down year and then be right back in the mix. (I was sort of right, they went 6-10 in 1999 and 11-5 in 2000.) I don't think I really had an appreciation for how special a championship team is. But the Broncos have not been as stout a playoff team as any of us would prefer, posting just 2 playoff wins between this season and their last Super Bowl win. That's 2 wins to go with 6 losses.

So this game is special to me. Hell, I know it's special to all of us. And there are so many story lines about this Broncos team that make them an irresistible sentimental favorite for a lot of people, with all due respect to the Seahawks. I am ready for this game to start, but I am also savoring this week and enjoying the moment.

Go Broncos!