• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl Predictions?

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you're alluding to Bradshaw Ozark. He does indeed have 4 rings, but I don't think he was the biggest reason Pittsburgh won those SBs. The general consensus is that the Steelers had the greatest defense over a 6 year span (74-79) in NFL history, and that was the primary reason they were so dominant. Taking nothing away from Bradshaw, he was one of the best in his time. But he was also rather erratic, throwing almost as many INTs as TDs.
My feeling is this ,Bradshaw was one hell of a QB. Its easy to say it was the Defense. I agree it was a team effort. But Bradshaw was also there in the beginning when it wasn't such a great team. He grew with the team. Go back and watch the films. What has hurt Bradshaw IMHO is his bumbling aw shucks TV persona. Everyone today goes oh that guy. All Bradshaw did was win Championships just ask Roger Staubach.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General consensus is how people remember it and the funny thing about memory is that its flawed.
Here's how the Steelers ranked in yards those years
Offense/Defense:
'74: 8/1
'75: 7/4
'76: 9/1
'77: 4/7
'78: 8/3
'79: 1/2

And total points:
Offense/Defense:
'74: 6/2
'75: 5/2
'76: 5/1
'77: 7/17
'78: 5/1
'79: 1/5

That Steeler offense was riding no coattails. They didn't have a dominant defense, they had a dominant football team. It wasn't just the run game either because those last 3 years they ranked as high or higher in passing offense than rushing offense.

Agree Whole-heartedly that it is a team sport--at least it used to be. Give Goofdell another few years and he'll have teams scoring points for getting 1st downs....but that's another rant.

Bradshaw was no doubt an integral part of the Steelers championships. But if you look at the stats Multigers quoted, you see that Pittsburgh only had one bad year defensively. Bradshaw was undoubtedly better in the late 70s, but he did struggle in the early 70s, especially in 74 and 76.

I've NEVER seen a defense as dominant as the Steelers in 1976, bar none. Memory might be a funny thing, but facts are irrefutable. During that campaign the Steelers went through a stretch that they only game up 9 points total over 5 games, with 3 consecutive shutouts in a row! They had 5 shutouts in the season and limited teams to less than a TD in 3 other games. All that while dealing with critical injuries to Bradshaw and both starting RBs. They would have won the SB again for the 3rd year in a row if not for the injuries to critical personnel.

Bradshaw and the offense was good, but the defense was the strength of the team through the majority of their dynasty. I'm afraid my memory is fully intact on that.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Denver 27-24 on a last second FG. Lord I hope so I won't be able handle the obnoxious Seahag fans if they win a Super Bowl.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boss, I agree that they were the most dominant defense of all-time, especially considering how long they did it for. I've watched a few dozen games from those years(I wasn't born until '92) and I'll admit the game plan was obvious. Run Franco and play defense. It worked for a long time but in the late '70's, especially '79 Bradshaw was playing great along with the rest of the team. Sure he's probably not a top 10 regular season QB all time but he had a 112.8 career passer rating the SuperBowls. If you look at the other thread about the top QB's all time I put an entire top 10 list and had Bradshaw at #8, I'd like to see your thoughts on my list.

Additionally, I meant no disrespect about your memory, more more the general football society has remembered those teams. Most people my age don't even know who Chuck Noll is.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be a NFC West homer and say that Seattle gets to Manning. 30-27 Seawags

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've NEVER seen a defense as dominant as the Steelers in 1976, bar none.

'85 Bears? with Ditka?

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memory is a funny thing. I would take it a step further. If the Steelers of the 70s best team played the 9ers of the 80s best team. I believe Montana would have been carted off the field. While Bradshaw would have taken hit after hit and kept slinging. Steelers 21 , 9ers 10. Of course its all moonshine anyway.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'85 Bears? with Ditka?

85 Bears were awesome on defense too. But I saw both teams play, and Pittsburgh lacked any kind of balance on offense that year. Their defense was constantly under pressure to bail them out. Remember Mike Kruczek started 6 games in place of an injured Bradshaw. When Bradshaw did play he only completed 47% of his passes that year and had a 65.4 QB rating. Also keep in mind that Pittsburgh sustained defensive excellence for an extended period. The Bears never exhibited that kind of defense again like they had in 85, although they did have excellent defense in the following years. Just not on the level of the Steelers. I'm not a Steelers homer, but I like to look at things objectively and you have to give credit where credit is due.

I didn't take anything personally from your post Mutigers. I agree with you that memory is a funny thing, especially mine, as my wife is constantly pointing out. But in my younger days I had "ahem" a lot of things riding on these games, and some things are just burned into your memory--be it for good or bad reasons. And I definitely remember the Steelers defense crushing teams, while my $$$ seemed to be flying right out of my wallet.....

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memory is a funny thing. I would take it a step further. If the Steelers of the 70s best team played the 9ers of the 80s best team. I believe Montana would have been carted off the field. While Bradshaw would have taken hit after hit and kept slinging. Steelers 21 , 9ers 10. Of course its all moonshine anyway.

It would be an interesting match to say the least Ozark. I also believe the Steelers would win. As a matter of fact the 75 or 78 Steelers would get my vote as the greatest team of all time. But being a die-hard Rams fan, I can also point out with satisfaction that the Rams beat the Steelers during the regular season in both those years.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos 32

Seahawks 13

Broncos take Lynch out of the game plan and make Wilson beat them. Don't think he can even with Harvin. Manning will get rid of the ball and make the front 4 still in search of the ball.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO BRONCO's

LETS PLUCK SOME FEATHERS !! :hope::hope::hope:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be an interesting match to say the least Ozark. I also believe the Steelers would win. As a matter of fact the 75 or 78 Steelers would get my vote as the greatest team of all time. But being a die-hard Rams fan, I can also point out with satisfaction that the Rams beat the Steelers during the regular season in both those years.

In 1979 the Steelers lead the NFL in both total offense and defense as well as scoring offense and defense.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is interesting. Seattles vaunted D really hasnt played a top tier offense with Denvers capability this year. On the flip side the Seahawks "average" offense has played 13 of their 18 games vs top half NFL defenses and 10 of their 18 vs top 8 D's. Denvers D currently resides in the bottom half of the league, against the bottom half of the league the Seahawks are scoring 34.8 ppg. The combo of the Seattle D not playing anyone like Denver and the Seattle O torching subpar D's this year leads me to believe this game will be MUCH higher scoring than people think. Ill go 34-30 Seattle.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is interesting. Seattles vaunted D really hasnt played a top tier offense with Denvers capability this year.
Technically one doesn't exist like Denver but they did well in their 2 games against New Orleans

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically one doesn't exist like Denver but they did well in their 2 games against New Orleans

True :) I guess my point is that I feel like Seattles D may be being slightly overvalued this game and Seattles O is being dramatically undervalued. If the weather is OK I think this game is a high 20's, low 30's type game for both teams all day long.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The safest bet is that I won't be the only person sick of hearing about it long before it's actually played.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you're alluding to Bradshaw Ozark. He does indeed have 4 rings, but I don't think he was the biggest reason Pittsburgh won those SBs. The general consensus is that the Steelers had the greatest defense over a 6 year span (74-79) in NFL history, and that was the primary reason they were so dominant. Taking nothing away from Bradshaw, he was one of the best in his time. But he was also rather erratic, throwing almost as many INTs as TDs.

The 74 & 75 teams were carried by the DEF...the 78 & 79 teams were still pretty balanced on offense, but you never felt out of the game if they got behind because the Stallworth, Swann & Bradshaw were able to make big plays. Bradshaw was MVP of one of the latter SBs.

That said...big arm but as you said, threw a lot of picks, especially early in his career.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True :) I guess my point is that I feel like Seattles D may be being slightly overvalued this game and Seattles O is being dramatically undervalued. If the weather is OK I think this game is a high 20's, low 30's type game for both teams all day long.

I agree...imo undervalued in their ability to pass...I think SEA needs to break tendency early in the game and pass the ball...not sure they will be able to just pound it from the outset.