• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Super Bowl LVIII San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this game boils down to if the 9ers can be successful running the ball or not.

If they are successful in running the ball they control the TOP, limit Mahomes chances, and the simple fact is the 9ers offensive line would get annihilated by the Chief's pass rush.

Comparing this matchup to the last Super Bowl matchup it's pretty much a role reversal. This Chiefs offense isn't as good but this 9ers defense isn't good either and the 9ers offense is better the Chiefs defense is better.

I'm feeling it will be mostly luck. LOL. The Niners should've lost the last two games, but the luck went their way. They had 3 lucky things happen almost in a row today. Lions fail on 4th down conversion, 51 yard catch by Aiyuk that bounced off the Lions DB, and Jahmyr Gibbs fumble. The chances of all those things happening so close together feels almost impossible.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling it will be mostly luck. LOL. The Niners should've lost the last two games, but the luck went their way. They had 3 lucky things happen almost in a row today. Lions fail on 4th down conversion, 51 yard catch by Aiyuk that bounced off the Lions DB, and Jahmyr Gibbs fumble. The chances of all those things happening so close together feels almost impossible.
To be fair good teams do create some 'lucky' breaks. The Gibbs fumble was when Lions were tight sphinctered etc

Thing is a Mahomes led team don't get tight

Niners feel like the 'dogs here, why not KC going for repeat...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope someone loves me one day as much as Richard Sherman loves Brock Purdy.
He relates to Purdy because he was a 5th-round pick so he knows what it's like having your draft status hanging around your neck.

A lot of the points are fair though.

Purdy plays well it's everyone else around him. People want to see Purdy struggle with adversity and win tough games from behind they complain about the throws he missed and how he got lucky. All the while guys like Allen, Love, and Stroud get attaboys even though they are all at home.

And as much as people want to knock him down for his supporting cast his offensive line sucked this season being PFF's 21st-ranked offensive line. If it wasn't for Willaims it'd probably be close to 32nd. (Chiefs were 18th on the list since it's relevant)

I don't think Purdy should be fitted for a gold jacket or have that MVP trophy polished but for a guy in his 2nd year who's effectively 4-0 in playoff games he's played more than one offensive series you'd think he'd be a little more highly regarded than what he is.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CMC is a monster and could carry the 9ers the rest of the way but Mike Shanahan has an inexcusable habit of going away from the run game.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he still hasn't learned from past mistakes.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair good teams do create some 'lucky' breaks. The Gibbs fumble was when Lions were tight sphinctered etc

Thing is a Mahomes led team don't get tight

Niners feel like the 'dogs here, why not KC going for repeat...

Yeah, the Mahomes and the Chiefs always seem to find a way to get it done (it took GOAT Brady to beat them), while Shanahan and this group have a history of falling short. I do feel that the Chiefs have an edge. It's up to the Niners to raise their game.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Is this one of the all-time nightmare scenarios for Raiders fans with two teams that they detest playing in their stadium for a Super Bowl title?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't completely hate the 49ers so I guess I pull for them instead of Godzilla flamethrowing Allegiant Stadium.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and uh, can we NOT start a worldwide pandemic this time after this SB between the Chiefs and 49ers? K thanks.

Last night was trying to remember if last Chiefs v 49ers Super Bowl was 4 or 5 years ago so looked it up to check... then saw the date of the Super Bowl and thought... ufff, that cannot be good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its weird because neither team really seems as hot as when they met 4 years back with both teams being far and away the best teams. This year its just the two teams that survived.

I think the previous matchup there was a distinct possibility that neither defense was equipped to deal with the other team's offense. This time I suspect the defenses should be more than capable. Niners really picked on Eric Fisher and Daniel Sorenson in the last matchup. Not sure they can find a Sorenson but it probably shouldn't be too difficult to find a matchup on the Chiefs oline that Bosa can exploit. Chiefs picked on Richard Sherman. I also dont think Mahomes had a particularly good game against the Niners last matchup but got bailed out with the wasp throw to Tyreek Hill. So I'd imagine Mahomes will be better but which Chiefs receivers will show up? Niners have also upgraded at QB so even though the defenses match up better, the QB play should be better, too.

LFG

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But unlike Wilson and Goff and Purdy not an NFCW team so doesn't count! :D
True plus the bum took over an 5-13 team in NE and a 7-9 team in TB to win SB's first year, so doesn't count

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True plus the bum took over an 5-13 team in NE and a 7-9 team in TB to win SB's first year, so doesn't count
I think we can probably agree Brady was a little bit better than those 3

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact about Mahomes this season on ESPN's EPA formula:

He's 2nd in sack avoidance EPA: Behind Allen
He's 2nd in rushing EPA: Again Behind Allen
But 19th in pure passing EPA... WR's matter, I fear.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great matchup and a tough one to pick, but I’m picking the Niners - I think they are slightly better than the Chiefs and are more complete. The Niners have so many great weapons on offense I’m not sure if the Chiefs will have an answer for all of them, it will be a great battle between the Niners O and the Chiefs D. It’s very hard to pick against Mahomes and the Chiefs, but I’ll take the Niners by a score of 30-24.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CMC is a monster and could carry the 9ers the rest of the way but Mike Shanahan has an inexcusable habit of going away from the run game.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he still hasn't learned from past mistakes.
He did pretty well with Terrell Davis chugging the rock :D :suds:

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of hearing about the catch being lucky. The ref threw a flag for DPI, even if he doesn't catch that we have the ball on the 7 yard line. Why are people ignoring that?

We missed a FG early, that was lucky for Detroit. The fourth down conversions were good defense, not luck.

You can easily say the Lions were lucky we started terrible or else that game could have been a blow out the way the second half went.