• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: SUNDAY #3

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Killing my FF team.....until today.

Gonna be 2-1 after this week.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also weirdly consistent with Bills losing every close game they are in.
If they're really the team this year they have to do better there.

Too soon to say but so far the surprisingly good team looks like the Jaguars and the bad one the Raiders. Every year there's always a couple of each. Dolphins might be another (good) and if they lose tonight maybe the Niners are another bad one.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is hurtz for real?

So far, yes. However they haven't really played a juggernaut of a schedule...but they're doing very well so far and confidence is something that keep building with them.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not going to have time today but I wanted to look up which teams played their starters (and most importantly their starting QB') for some of the preseason and compare them to ones that didn't.

.....because if anything the 1st 3 weeks of the ugly, ugly season has taught us is that NFL teams need preseason time to warm up for the season.

Not surprising most of the offenses that are doing the best (right now) like the Eagles, Dolphins and Bills found time for their starting units to do it in the preseason whereas teams that really should have had their starters out there because of new players and new schemes (looking at you Packer, Broncos and Vikings) didnt put their starting units on the field during preseason.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not going to have time today but I wanted to look up which teams played their starters (and most importantly their starting QB') for some of the preseason and compare them to ones that didn't.

.....because if anything the 1st 3 weeks of the ugly, ugly season has taught us is that NFL teams need preseason time to warm up for the season.

Not surprising most of the offenses that are doing the best (right now) like the Eagles, Dolphins and Bills found time for their starting units to do it in the preseason whereas teams that really should have had their starters out there because of new players and new schemes (looking at you Packer, Broncos and Vikings) didnt put their starting units on the field during preseason.
Eagles starting offense played one series of the first preseason game and then didn’t get any more reps in the preseason.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because of the QB competition the Steelers played their starters quite a bit in the preseason and they have one of the worst offenses in the league to this point.

I think the condition you speak of is applicable in week 1. After that, it ceases to be an excuse.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of the QB competition the Steelers played their starters quite a bit in the preseason and they have one of the worst offenses in the league to this point.

I think the condition you speak of is applicable in week 1. After that, it ceases to be an excuse.

That was an offense that we KNEW was going to be bad. Running out your team for preseason isnt a magic cure that is going to give a talentless offense talent. But it certainly helps the play.

The Broncos on paper should be at least average offense. They have looked completely lost.
The Packers on paper should have a better than average offense. They have looked completely lost.

Proof is in the pudding. Of the teams in the top 10 in points scored through 3 weeks, all of them played their starting QB at some point with only the Ravens standing out as the lone one of not playing their starting QB (and that was more about the contract than the philosophy).

Its pretty simple. Some teams used training camp and preseason as a way not to get injured. Other teams used it as a way to get ready for the season. And not surprisingly the teams that used it as a way to get ready for the season are having more success than the ones who simply crawled into a shell and thought they would magically be playing good football in week 1.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a season so far.

I usually pick wins well above 60% but this year I'm sucking balls. Haven't had more than 7 correct this year.

I think Buff was short multiple DBs. Chargers had no receivers, Herbert was hurting and Joey Nosa went out to boot.

At least KC lost. To Indy to boot. That made my day.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an offense that we KNEW was going to be bad. Running out your team for preseason isnt a magic cure that is going to give a talentless offense talent. But it certainly helps the play.

The Broncos on paper should be at least average offense. They have looked completely lost.
The Packers on paper should have a better than average offense. They have looked completely lost.

Proof is in the pudding. Of the teams in the top 10 in points scored through 3 weeks, all of them played their starting QB at some point with only the Ravens standing out as the lone one of not playing their starting QB (and that was more about the contract than the philosophy).

Its pretty simple. Some teams used training camp and preseason as a way not to get injured. Other teams used it as a way to get ready for the season. And not surprisingly the teams that used it as a way to get ready for the season are having more success than the ones who simply crawled into a shell and thought they would magically be playing good football in week 1.
I disagree. You included the Eagles in that group and in the end, we are talking one 7 or 8 play series. The trend around the league is to use preseason to mainly stay healthy. The best work of the preseason comes in the joint practices with 1s working vs 1s.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. You included the Eagles in that group and in the end, we are talking one 7 or 8 play series. The trend around the league is to use preseason to mainly stay healthy. The best work of the preseason comes in the joint practices with 1s working vs 1s.

You havent paid attention. A lot of teams didnt play their QB's or a lot of their 1st stringers at all in the preseason. Not a single snap. Didnt even put on a uniform for preseason games.

You mentioned the Steelers as being a team that played their QB. They have scored more points this season than the Packers, Broncos, Buccaneers, (and only 4 less than my Vikings). You think that will continue?

Teams that didnt play their starting QB's are paying a price right now. It is so glaring that I guarantee you that you see almost all teams get their starters some action next preseason. Flat out some teams are ready for the season this year.....and others aren't. You cant win in Sept but you sure as hell can lose. And if the one of the teams above miss the playoffs by a single game this year, they are going to be looking at these Sept games.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You havent paid attention. A lot of teams didnt play their QB's or a lot of their 1st stringers at all in the preseason. Not a single snap. Didnt even put on a uniform for preseason games.

You mentioned the Steelers as being a team that played their QB. They have scored more points this season than the Packers, Broncos, Buccaneers, (and only 4 less than my Vikings). You think that will continue?

Teams that didnt play their starting QB's are paying a price right now. It is so glaring that I guarantee you that you see almost all teams get their starters some action next preseason. Flat out some teams are ready for the season this year.....and others aren't. You cant win in Sept but you sure as hell can lose. And if the one of the teams above miss the playoffs by a single game this year, they are going to be looking at these Sept games.
I am paying attention. Maybe you should work harder at establishing how 7/8 plays being run in the preseason is some sort of magical experience to explain why some teams look competent on offense and others don’t.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3-0 Eagles who have the #1ranked offense and #5 ranked defense only played their offensive and defensive starters for one series in the preseason.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-0 Eagles who have the #1ranked offense and #5 ranked defense only played their offensive and defensive starters for one series in the preseason.

That's my point.

The teams that forced their starters to suite up for a game, prepare for a game and play a little bit in a preseason game are having way more success than teams that didn't do that during the preseason.

Teams that didnt go through that process at all are really struggling. And not just by a little. It is a HUGE disparity right now. So big that it is really hard to ignore. Maybe teams like the Broncos, Vikings, Packers, Rams and Bucs all have sub-par offenses even as the season moves forward. But I doubt it. Those are teams that anyone and everyone would have been picking as probably having top 14 offenses in the league or so. And all of them are in the bottom half of offenses after 3 weeks.

....and when you think that all you had to do was give the starters a single series or two and that is all the injury risk that you are taking, why wouldn't teams always give their starters that preparation time during preseason?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point.

The teams that forced their starters to suite up for a game, prepare for a game and play a little bit in a preseason game are having way more success than teams that didn't do that during the preseason.

Teams that didnt go through that process at all are really struggling. And not just by a little. It is a HUGE disparity right now. So big that it is really hard to ignore. Maybe teams like the Broncos, Vikings, Packers, Rams and Bucs all have sub-par offenses even as the season moves forward. But I doubt it. Those are teams that anyone and everyone would have been picking as probably having top 14 offenses in the league or so. And all of them are in the bottom half of offenses after 3 weeks.
You think Tampa’s issues have anything to do with injuries? That’s just one example here. You’re trying to isolate a variable that quite honestly isn’t even a variable anymore. You’re creating a dividing line between a group getting 10-12 game reps vs no game reps. There’s little to no difference. Just watch the games. The Eagles survived the lack of action. They didn’t “thrive” by any means. Their tackling week 1 was atrocious. The model now is to stay healthy preparing for the long grind of an NFL season. Make up for the work in joint practices with other squads and then survive week 1 knowing execution won’t be ideal and tackling won’t be precise. The NFL season isn’t getting shorter. Teams aren’t going to readjust as you’ve suggested and start risking starters again in preseason football games.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

++ on how someone has the presence of mind to (eventually) cover the camera while Dorsey continued his tantrum.