• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summer league hoops

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're too hooked on the stats.

Russell Westbrook has averaged a triple double in something like 4 of his last 5 or 6 seasons. Since Oscar Robertson, no one else in NBA history has done it even once. Not MJ, not Kobe, Not Magic or Bird, not Lebron.

I guess that means that Russel Westbrook is better than all of them?
What rookie in Summer league performed better ?

Not who you think will be better in the future

Which rookie in this summer league performed better ?

You'll struggle to name 2 even worth debating against Garza

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol ok dude.

Look at some film man. He tries hard, but his defense is very bad.

Pistons were playing drop coverage with him in pick and roll because he isn’t fast enough to hedge. Drop coverage is maybe the least aggressive pick and roll coverage out there and it gives lots of open space to the ball handler coming off the screen.

If you can’t hedge or switch a ball screen as a big, then you can’t play a major role in the NBA. It is that simple.

Garza can’t defend in space. It is why he was available at 52.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at some film man. He tries hard, but his defense is very bad.

Pistons were playing drop coverage with him in pick and roll because he isn’t fast enough to hedge. Drop coverage is maybe the least aggressive pick and roll coverage out there and it gives lots of open space to the ball handler coming off the screen.

If you can’t hedge or switch a ball screen as a big, then you can’t play a major role in the NBA. It is that simple.
Nah I watched every game. His D was wayyyy better than expected. If he were an elite defender he wouldn't have gone 52. He'd have been lottery

We all know he can score with ease. D just needs to be average which it was better than that in summer league . If he's even mediocre on D he will be fine

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah I watched every game. His D was wayyyy better than expected. If he were an elite defender he wouldn't have gone 52. He'd have been lottery

We all know he can score with ease. D just needs to be average which it was better than that in summer league . If he's even mediocre on D he will be fine

No, it wasn’t average.

He is giving 10-15 feet of space on every ball screen.

You can’t do that against good NBA guards. You get carved up.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it wasn’t average.

He is giving 10-15 feet of space on every ball screen.

You can’t do that against good NBA guards. You get carved up.
He must haveong arms then to give 15 feet and still get all those blocks

Good for him . Probably tough to find suits

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must haveong arms then to give 15 feet and still get all those blocks

Good for him . Probably tough to find suits

You are looking at stats out of context.

I saw 1 clip where he misplayed the angle on a ball screen, didn’t stop the ball and was also out of position for the role guy.

Guard passed to the role guy (not a very athletic player) who caught the pass and shot a layup over Garza.

He missed.

Got the offensive rebound right under the rim and threw a jump hook right into Garza’s hands.

Blocked shot for Garza on a Horribly defended play.

Just an example. Because a guy is getting blocks doesn’t mean he is defending well.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Garza ballin out in summer league? I’ve caught some Bulls games watching Ayo but I haven’t seen Garza yet. Even if his D isn’t great he might be able to overcome it. Dirk had concrete boots too on D. Garza got some game

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza ballin out in summer league? I’ve caught some Bulls games watching Ayo but I haven’t seen Garza yet. Even if his D isn’t great he might be able to overcome it. Dirk had concrete boots too on D. Garza got some game
Yeah he crushed it man . How's Ayo been looking? Haven't seen much of any Bulls games

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are looking at stats out of context.

I saw 1 clip where he misplayed the angle on a ball screen, didn’t stop the ball and was also out of position for the role guy.

Guard passed to the role guy (not a very athletic player) who caught the pass and shot a layup over Garza.

He missed.

Got the offensive rebound right under the rim and threw a jump hook right into Garza’s hands.

Blocked shot for Garza on a Horribly defended play.

Just an example. Because a guy is getting blocks doesn’t mean he is defending well.
There are a ton of guys in league history who could score but not defend great. They almost always stick because scoring isn't a leaenable skill . Defense is. Brook Lopez went from a huge defensive liability to a solid defender ( for example) but he never was 9n danger of not having a job because stretch 6s who rebound aren't too common

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't project him one way or the other. Luka will definitely bust his ass trying that's for sure. He will eventually push Okafor out the door.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Jahil. How crazy is it that there was a legit argument as to who was better out of him and KAT lol

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he crushed it man . How's Ayo been looking? Haven't seen much of any Bulls games
Ayo had a few good/decent games and 1 really good one. If he can dial-in his three pointers man he’s gonna be dangerous. I expect him to improve every year and be typical Ayo

Bulls are pretty deep at Guard so that should push him

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a ton of guys in league history who could score but not defend great. They almost always stick because scoring isn't a leaenable skill . Defense is. Brook Lopez went from a huge defensive liability to a solid defender ( for example) but he never was 9n danger of not having a job because stretch 6s who rebound aren't too common

The difference though is that the game has changed a ton over the last 10 years.

There are many bigs who would have been monsters playing 20 years ago.

Now, with the way slow footed big men are attacked in pick and roll, they just give up too much to play big minutes.

And while I get the Brook Lopez comp, Brook does move better laterally and he is longer. So he has a better chance to recover and block a shot.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics and Kings playing the only championship game either of them will see for a long time. :heh:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't project him one way or the other. Luka will definitely bust his ass trying that's for sure. He will eventually push Okafor out the door.

Ironically, Jahlil is a great example of a player I was thinking during this discussion.

If he gets minutes, he is going to go for 20 and 10.

But he gives up so much defensively that the team is better off going with a player he gets 6 and 8 but is solid defensively.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically, Jahlil is a great example of a player I was thinking during this discussion.

If he gets minutes, he is going to go for 20 and 10.

But he gives up so much defensively that the team is better off going with a player he gets 6 and 8 but is solid defensively.

Wait, Okafor is still in the league? Are the Pistons the NBA equivalent of the witness relocation program?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Jahil. How crazy is it that there was a legit argument as to who was better out of him and KAT lol

Not sure how legit, lol. Okafor was always going to be a horrible defender and slow, not exactly selling points for an NBA big.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how legit, lol. Okafor was always going to be a horrible defender and slow, not exactly selling points for an NBA big.
A lot of LA fans went crazy because they took Russell over Okafor. Keyboard GMs are the worst.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of LA fans went crazy because they took Russell over Okafor. Keyboard GMs are the worst.

That was a tough draft, only a handful of players have really emerged (KAT, Booker, Russell, and Porzingis) and really only Booker has resulted in wins for his team (and that only after CP3 came to town).

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a tough draft, only a handful of players have really emerged (KAT, Booker, Russell, and Porzingis) and really only Booker has resulted in wins for his team (and that only after CP3 came to town).
Oh I agree. It was the last draft I missed because of a friends wedding.