• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stuart

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stuart's next move: Kings, Sharks?
7:20
AM ETBrad Stuart | Red Wings Top EmailComments We already had a feeling Brad Stuart would be leaving the Detroit Red Wings via free agency this summer, and now it looks like that's pretty much happening. Stuart tells the San Jose Mercury News' David Pollak that he wants to moving closer to his wife and three kids, who live in Los Gatos, Calif. So Polak writes, "Obviously the Sharks -- where he started his career -- would be the perfect landing spot at age 32. Is Stuart limiting his options to California? That could set up an interesting bidding war between Doug Wilson, who traded Stuart to Boston as part of the Joe Thornton deal, and Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who drafted Stuart."

As for the Wings, they apparently traded for Kyle Quincey at the trade deadline in anticipation of Stuart's departure, The Malik Report points out. But expect them to chase blueliners in free agency this summer, including all-star Ryan Suter.

- Alvin Chang

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give him Murray's salary slot.

Boyle- Vlasic
Burns-Stuart
Braun-Demers

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah id would be nice to have stuie back, imagine the mobility the sharks would have the blue line with Boyler, Burns, Stuie, Vlasic, Demers and Braun.

And maybe one day Petrecki will pan out lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stuart would indeed be a solid addition, but only for cheap. I wouldnt want dougie throwing 2.5M or 3M at him. He'll be 33 most of next year, and while he is still a strong #4, he's not the top 3 guy that he was.

maybe dougie can pull off another 1 yr, 1M deal? Now at 1M stuey would be aweessssommmeee.....

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stuart would indeed be a solid addition, but only for cheap. I wouldnt want dougie throwing 2.5M or 3M at him. He'll be 33 most of next year, and while he is still a strong #4, he's not the top 3 guy that he was.

maybe dougie can pull off another 1 yr, 1M deal? Now at 1M stuey would be aweessssommmeee.....

Murray makes $2.5. Trade him for a pick, then give Stuart that $.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Id be fine with that... I like murray but he is just so slow that I am always nervous when he is out there. Still, Im not 100% sure stuart is worth 2.5M given his age and declining skills...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see Stuart coming that cheep. He may take a small discount ($500k - $750k) from what he's making now to play in San Jose but I don't see him taking a bargain basement contract. He could still fetch $4+m on the open market.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll prolly take $3-3.5M to be close to his family.

He's worth it. Use some of the money from White being gone to help out too.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants to be close to Los Gatos, then there's a big difference between LA/ANA and SJ. In LA, he can visit his kids when there's a day off between games. In SJ he comes home to them after every home game. If Doug plays it right, he can get Stuart. Nothing over two years. Not sure that's possible.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see Stuart coming that cheep. He may take a small discount ($500k - $750k) from what he's making now to play in San Jose but I don't see him taking a bargain basement contract. He could still fetch $4+m on the open market.

you think he's worth 4M on the open market? That would be good negotiating for sure! At age 33, I wouldnt give him anywhere near that kind of money. If Im doug, I offer 2 years, 4M (possibly 5) and no more. The sharks dont actually need him and he is not of the age to become any part of the future of the franchise so he shouldnt be the type of player the sharks are looking for. The sharks need to get younger, not older.

Hovertical

mmmmm fish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you think he's worth 4M on the open market? That would be good negotiating for sure! At age 33, I wouldnt give him anywhere near that kind of money. If Im doug, I offer 2 years, 4M (possibly 5) and no more. The sharks dont actually need him and he is not of the age to become any part of the future of the franchise so he shouldnt be the type of player the sharks are looking for. The sharks need to get younger, not older.

almost all free agents are overpaid when they sign...surely we've learned that during every FA period when so-and-so is linked to the Sharks and then someone posts they would like them only at a certain price. the FA ends up going elsewhere and then everyone cries foul on here that he's overpaid. Gotta overpay to play - unless you're a team like the Wangs, who because of their consistency can sometimes get guys to play for cheaper.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants to be close to Los Gatos, then there's a big difference between LA/ANA and SJ. In LA, he can visit his kids when there's a day off between games. In SJ he comes home to them after every home game. If Doug plays it right, he can get Stuart. Nothing over two years. Not sure that's possible.

This ^. If Stuart truly wants to be home with his family, there is only one place that makes complete sense. Obvoiusly, Stuey doesn't want to just say it's Sharks or bust and lose all of his negotiating power, but I have a feeling that if DWil makes a competitive offer, that he'll sign here. I know it's only about an hour plane flight from ANA (I don't think LA is a fit as they have their entire D-Corps signed) to SJ, but he has to get to the airport 2 hours early, he has to repeat the process on the way back home and he's got to make sure that he gets back for practices or team meetings. Is he going to fly home after a morning practice, see his kids for 6 hours before they go to sleep and then fly back home early the next morning? Is that a routine you'd like to get into?

If DWil can unload Douglas Murray for a decent draft pick, I'd love for DWil to sign Stuart to a 2 year, $5.5M contract ($3 first year and $2.5 second year).

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ^. If Stuart truly wants to be home with his family, there is only one place that makes complete sense. Obvoiusly, Stuey doesn't want to just say it's Sharks or bust and lose all of his negotiating power, but I have a feeling that if DWil makes a competitive offer, that he'll sign here. I know it's only about an hour plane flight from ANA (I don't think LA is a fit as they have their entire D-Corps signed) to SJ, but he has to get to the airport 2 hours early, he has to repeat the process on the way back home and he's got to make sure that he gets back for practices or team meetings. Is he going to fly home after a morning practice, see his kids for 6 hours before they go to sleep and then fly back home early the next morning? Is that a routine you'd like to get into?

If DWil can unload Douglas Murray for a decent draft pick, I'd love for DWil to sign Stuart to a 2 year, $5.5M contract ($3 first year and $2.5 second year).

That's a fair deal. Unfortunately, UFAs usually get better than just fair deals. I assume this is the last contract for Stuey so he may be looking to cash in somewhat. Two years seems short, but I'd be very uncomfortable giving him anything longer than that.

Another thing is in SJ, his kids can watch Pops play every single home game. That's gotta be worth something too.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why trade Murray? The Sharks will let White & Vandermeer walk, so why can't they keep Murray as a 5-7 dman. Yeah I understand salary cap issues, but I just don't see Murray ever leaving unless its his terms.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why trade Murray? The Sharks will let White & Vandermeer walk, so why can't they keep Murray as a 5-7 dman. Yeah I understand salary cap issues, but I just don't see Murray ever leaving unless its his terms.

The Sharks would have to trade Murray because Stuart would come in and play the same role. Stuart is a physical, #4 defenseman. Murray is better in the physicality department, but Stuart is a better skater and has a better first pass and can get shots on net. Murray may have him in defensive awareness, but not by much (imhumbleo) and what little if any advantage he does have, Stuart can probably make up for it in skating ability.

If you keep Murray after signing Stuart, then you are essentially paying a bottom pairing defenseman (5th or 6th) $2.5M to play roughly 15 minutes per night. They have Braun and Demers who combined would make a little less than Murray.

Take a peek at the cap numbers for next season.

Team Overview for San Jose Sharks (11/12) | NHLnumbers.com

I like Murray a ton, but he's a guy you want when going up against the 2007 Anaheim Ducks.....not so much against the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks or the 2012 Vancouver Canucks.

*All this of course is just my humble opinion.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap space created by Mitchell, White, and Vandy's expiring contracts will be taken up by Couture's and Burn's raises that take affect next season. In order to add a contract at $3 (Stuart), someone has to leave.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh.. every time I click team salary links and see how much Mitchell makes, I throw up a little bit more in my mouth in disgust. :L

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh.. every time I click team salary links and see how much Mitchell makes, I throw up a little bit more in my mouth in disgust. :L

Haha, me too! what a dumb dumb contract after a guy who relies 100% on speed just broke his leg. Thankfully, it's over in a month and that will be that.

As for salaries, the sharks have a problem if they want to have any respectable 3rd line. They currently have 8.7M in space, but without a 4th line or reserves.

1. Assume they keep 4 guys like ferriero or desjardins at 600-700k each, that's roughly 2.5M-3M. Call it 2.7M to keep it even and then they have a 4th line and reserves and 6M left.

2. they resign braun at 2 years 1.25M, the same as demers. I'm not sure htey can get much cheaper, or will go much longer. Now they have 4.75M left. If they buyout zues, they will then need a full third line, and a #7 dman with roughly 6.5M in cap space. That doesnt buy you areal good line, nor depth on D.

the only way I can see the sharks getting stuey and a solid 3rd line is through trading both murray and nemo. Murray for Stuey is pretty much a wash, though perhaps a slight upgrade. Similar salary number. But nemo for stalock saves 3M, and with 9.5M, dougie can go out and land some respectable UFA's to make up a threatening third line.

I just dont want them to add stuey and spend 3M on a 4/5/6 dman who plays 16-18 mins. they just dont need to throw valuable cap space there without moving some salary out (i.e. murray).

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread sounds like we're just one Brad Stuart away from a cup. LOL.