• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Strictly an observation...

C

cubzzzfanincali

I used to like you noon, even in those BSPN days. Especially then.
lol @ Carey starting the game..ok I know nothing anymore..:lol:

Langford and Carey are both young, they both run under obviously strict "one plant and then run downhill" orders from the Bear coaches, and they were both between mediocre and bad on blocking when they stayed in. They guys I watched the game with were laughing at the MNF team trying to "showcase" mediocre RB blocks, provided a lot of funny comedy.

Hey they are rookies, it is to be expected. Neither of them blew it away, and a good RB last night would have broken off some major runs because the Bear offensive line killed it (when the fuck did I last have THAT thought? Like 2008?). But sitting here today, not sure what the huge advantage you are seeing in Langford is over Carey, other than the fact that Pace picked one and didn't pick the other. But in performance terms, I don't see what you are seeing. They didn't fuck up and fumble, and it was pretty obvious they were following coaches' orders, but they still both missed the best attack lanes.

I hope they keep growing. It's gotta be tough to mature on the Bears with Forte around. Last night was good for this, good stuff. But as far as actual running back play, forgive me for not doing cartwheels. I'll save those for the O Line.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali I liked Carey over Langford as a runner just a little. Neither blew me away but I thought they did pretty good. Langford as a runner was only decent but I saw him pick up a few blitzes and as a receiver he did pretty dam good. Overall he showed he can handle the RB job and showed he can be in on 3thrd downs. For a rookie in his first start I was happy. Both still are growing as players.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to like you noon, even in those BSPN days. Especially then.

Cool, but you have to admit it was the wild west back then. Not you and me but overall. Them Packer fans lived on our board and the Jay threads got heated. Remember the Forte is the best all around RB in the North thread. There were no rules against trolling and no mods that I knew of. Remember Dinges? The perm patroll? I was noonthirtyperm. lol some of it was funny as hell.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see the bears get that win. Fun game to watch. JMO but the running backs didn't not do anything all that great.

While I didn't see Walter Payton or Gale Sayers out there, that over the shoulder diving catch that Langford had was indeed an AMAZING grab. Probably only rivaled by the Miller TD grab on the winning drive. That was great for a RB and worthy of note.

Keeping in mind he was a rookie, Payton's numbers weren't amazing his Rookie year either (not that Langford is the second coming of Walter), he did well, all around well. Picked up the Blitz as well as Forte. Caught the ball as well as Forte. Finished runs better, because he runs with lower shoulder pads than Forte. Overall a great outing by a rookie RB not named Gurley.

Still say, last draft is producing players. Isn't that an awesome change!!!! Amos, Langford, Grasu, Goldman all look like solid starters for the future at the least.

C

cubzzzfanincali

While I didn't see Walter Payton or Gale Sayers out there, that over the shoulder diving catch that Langford had was indeed an AMAZING grab. Probably only rivaled by the Miller TD grab on the winning drive. That was great for a RB and worthy of note.

Keeping in mind he was a rookie, Payton's numbers weren't amazing his Rookie year either (not that Langford is the second coming of Walter), he did well, all around well. Picked up the Blitz as well as Forte. Caught the ball as well as Forte. Finished runs better, because he runs with lower shoulder pads than Forte. Overall a great outing by a rookie RB not named Gurley.

Still say, last draft is producing players. Isn't that an awesome change!!!! Amos, Langford, Grasu, Goldman all look like solid starters for the future at the least.

Yeah, I'll def give you that, that catch was fantastic. I was more referring to the overall game, specifically how they ran. But yes that play was the shit.

As for his blitz pickups, first of all, the sample size was tiny considering how fast the throws were getting out, but if you watched how he made his blocks, no, they were not good. He was basically blown off his blocks every time, he needs to learn a lot about blocking before saying something like "as good as Forte." No, he really wasn't anywhere near as good as Matt when staying home. That's kind of an insult to Forte. But he is a rookie, and he only had a few plays to show off, it's not like I am saying he CAN'T. I was just observing that it left a lot to be desired, and will be interesting to watch to see if he improves in this respect.

It amazes me, I'm not saying Langford has a bad game, just that it was mediocre. It amuses me that anything short of full throated oral worship of guys is sometimes interpreted as if I am saying a guy totally sucks or something. I am saying he played mediocrely, a great back would have had a huge game with that blocking, and that I don't agree that there was anything particularly in the film that settles the "Carey-vs.-Langford" debate. I am not saying he sucks, nor that he can't be the RB of the future.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'll def give you that, that catch was fantastic. I was more referring to the overall game, specifically how they ran. But yes that play was the shit.

As for his blitz pickups, first of all, the sample size was tiny considering how fast the throws were getting out, but if you watched how he made his blocks, no, they were not good. He was basically blown off his blocks every time, he needs to learn a lot about blocking before saying something like "as good as Forte." No, he really wasn't anywhere near as good as Matt when staying home. That's kind of an insult to Forte. But he is a rookie, and he only had a few plays to show off, it's not like I am saying he CAN'T. I was just observing that it left a lot to be desired, and will be interesting to watch to see if he improves in this respect.

It amazes me, I'm not saying Langford has a bad game, just that it was mediocre. It amuses me that anything short of full throated oral worship of guys is sometimes interpreted as if I am saying a guy totally sucks or something. I am saying he played mediocrely, a great back would have had a huge game with that blocking, and that I don't agree that there was anything particularly in the film that settles the "Carey-vs.-Langford" debate. I am not saying he sucks, nor that he can't be the RB of the future.

Yea, I hear you, it really just sounds like you're saying, he's playing like a rookie who wasn't drafted at the top of the first round. I get it. Given former Bear GM's drafting abilities, I'll take Langford and his rookie performance over say, any number of guys who can jump out of a pool.

Edit: And yes, while he was picking up the blitz as well as Forte would have, no he wasn't blocking them as well as Forte. I meant the former, not the latter.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, yes, and yes. I really like the production of this rookie class so far. It's rather nice for a change.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy you would not believe how worked up I used to get and how worked up I used to make other people over at the BSPN boards before they shut down.

That is a fact...

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forte is a career 4.2 ypc rusher. Not overwhelming. While he does a lot of other things very well that help out the team tremendously- Forte isnt a home run hitter rushing the football, and never really has been. That said, Langford doesnt have to be better than Forte to supplant him as the starter. Hes younger and cheaper, and probably can match the rushing production of Forte. I do like that Langford appears to be more of a down hill runner than Forte.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see the bears get that win. Fun game to watch. JMO but the running backs didn't not do anything all that great. At the risk of pointing out what should be obvious, but in run game, the Bear O line (mostly) DESTROYED the San Diego d line. That was a mauling. I wasn't super impressed by the running back decisions or quickness. But the offensive line played great. Don't know how much of that was them versus one of the worst rush defenses in the league, but it was good to seem them totally dominate for once.

Lamarr Houston wasn't in much but he clearly was playing wih purpose an energy.

I have to give a lot of kudos to Gase tonight. The bear passing attack was very simple of short passing oriented (mostly), and tonight San Diego mostly had no answer for that. They simply are not fast enough, especially the linebackers.

Here's a anti Cali examination of the game Langford had....
By Dan Durkin–

(CBS) There’s never a good time for a team to lose its best player. That’s exactly the predicament the Bears found themselves in last week after running back Matt Forte was knocked out of the team’s overtime loss against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 9.

However, if there was a silver lining to losing Forte’s unfailing productivity, it was that it afforded the Bears’ front office and coaching staff an opportunity to evaluate rookie Jeremy Langford in a featured role.

In a rebuilding year, everything is about player development and evaluation. With Forte closing in on 30 and in the final year of his contract, the future at the position — which may or may not include Forte — must be considered.

Prior to Forte’s injury in the Vikings game, Langford’s season-high in touches was six. He was sparsely involved in game plans, but everything changed Monday night.

Langford became the focal point of offensive coordinator Adam Gase’s plan of attack against the Chargers in the Bears’ 22-19 win. He touched the ball on 21 of the team’s 70 offensive plays, finishing with 142 total yards, generating five first downs, a touchdown and a two-point conversion.

Drafted out of Michigan State in the fourth round, Langford was a highly productive runner who racked up 40 touchdowns and a 5.1 yards per carry average. At the combine, he flashed his athleticism, running a 4.42 in the 40-yard dash, which was the fastest among running backs, as were his 10-yard (1.5) and 20-yard (2.5) splits.

In his first few seasons in East Lansing, coaches were searching for his best position on the field for Langford. He played cornerback in 2011. In 2013, he was tried at receiver during spring practices before settling back in at running back. The shared skills required to play each of those positions are lateral quickness, vision and hands, all of which were on display during Monday’s contest in San Diego.

Langford’s receiving skills were showcased on the Bears’ second offensive possession. Facing a third-and-3 at the Chargers’ 48-yard line, Gase emptied out the backfield in a four-by-one set from an 11 personnel grouping. Langford (circled in yellow) lined up as the No. 2 receiver.

The Chargers responded with nickel personnel in Cover-1 man free coverage, with Eric Weddle lined up as the single-high safety 16 yards off the ball in the middle of the field. Linebacker Kavell Conner traveled with Langford outside, so quarterback Jay Cutler knew he had the matchup he wanted with Langford.

The Bears ran a levels concept with the three other receivers, and tight end Zach Miller (lined up as the split end on the back side of the formation) ran a curl.

(All images courtesy of NFL GameRewind)

11.png

Conner lined up six yards off of Langford in inside technique. He severely underestimated Langford’s speed and was caught flat-footed off the snap. Langford had a free release to the outside, which allowed him to quickly stack on top of Conner and give Cutler a huge throwing window to drop the ball into.

21.png

Cutler led Langford perfectly, who laid out to make an acrobatic 31-yard catch, setting the Bears up with first-and-10 from the Chargers’ 17-yard line.

31.png

Langford also showed excellent patience, vision, burst, power and a feel for running lanes throughout the game. He converted two crucial short-yardage runs on his two-point conversion and touchdown runs, which has been a pain point for the Bears’ running game.

One of Langford’s most impressive runs that displayed his vision, lateral quickness and burst came in the second quarter on a 16-yard split-zone scamper.

Here’s an animated .gif of the run from start to finish with some embedded commentary and overlays.

langford.gif

Langford pressed the hole and headed toward his original aiming point (the play-side B-gap), but with it closed, he did a quick jump cut to bounce it to the outside and was back up to full speed in three steps. He turned a potential negative run into an explosive one.

Langford’s fresh legs and extra gear give the Bears a different skill set they haven’t had at the running back position in a while.

Apart from the physical skills needed to succeed at running back, a player must be trustworthy in pass protection. This requires a knowledge of the teams’ protection schemes and thorough film study of an opponent’s fronts to identify threats that the offensive line can’t account for.

Langford checked all those boxes against the Chargers. He was stout in blitz pickup, accounting for the proper rusher and showing an ability to sink his hips to brace for the collision and redirect with power on contact.

All in all, Langford’s performance on Monday night was an overwhelming success. He gives the Bears a playmaking piece they can count on for the rest of this season and beyond at the running back position.

Dan Durkin covers the Bears for CBSChicago.com and is a frequent contributor to 670 The Score. Follow him on Twitter at @djdurkin

C

cubzzzfanincali

My only real problem with that analysis is that it is cherry picking in the extreme. I am talking about his entire body of plays, not just his best 4. His statement "Langford also showed excellent patience, vision, burst, power and a feel for running lanes throughout the game" is, to me, PRECISELY what Langford's problem was. If all he was doing was scoring TDs and making 16 yard runs, great. But outside of those 4 plays, he ran very mediocrely. And the guy didn't even mention the fact that on some plays the O line pushed the entire San Diego front completely out of the way.

OK, so he successfully cherry picked 4 plays and says Langford rocks. If I cherry pick the 17 runs he made for 56 yards, which is a 3.29 YPC, am I right? No. Neither. The only one who is right is the one who takes the entire game.

Again, I am not saying he sucked. Just that I'm not super excited over a selective culling of his highlights. You have to look at the entire body of evidence.

C

cubzzzfanincali

lol, I just looked up the play log, in response to this comment: "One of Langford’s most impressive runs that displayed his vision, lateral quickness and burst came in the second quarter on a 16-yard split-zone scamper."

One of them? What other ones? He had only two other runs longer than 5 yards (one for 6, and 1 for 9 yards). The author, who obviously easily impressed you leo, tries to pass off his one good run as somehow representative as though there were others. Yeah, um, not really.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fact...
lol I remember when you called me the board idiot. It's cool I deserved it. I earned, I owned it. But you have to admit it was entertaining in a Jerry Springer kind of way. I was the fat trashy girl that brought in 3 different guys to be tested as my baby's father, then found out it was none of them 3. lolol.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait.....I'M THE BOARD IDIOT, AFTER ANOTHERIDIOT AND WOODS AND WHOEVER ELSE BUT ALWAYS BEFORE NOON

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, I just looked up the play log, in response to this comment: "One of Langford’s most impressive runs that displayed his vision, lateral quickness and burst came in the second quarter on a 16-yard split-zone scamper."

One of them? What other ones? He had only two other runs longer than 5 yards (one for 6, and 1 for 9 yards). The author, who obviously easily impressed you leo, tries to pass off his one good run as somehow representative as though there were others. Yeah, um, not really.
Because it's the opposite of what you are spewing....it is a compare and contrast in analysing. Don't take it so hard, I'm sure that Durkin appreciates your take as you should others.....

The only thing I found to be head shaking is that the greatest kicker in the universe missed 2 easy kicks

Last edited: