• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Still cant hit at Safeco

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small sample size so far since there have only been 12 home games but the numbers are looking the same as previous years.

At Safeco: (12 games)
Batting Average: .196
On Base: .265
Slugging: .323
Runs per game: 3.08

On the Road (22 games)

At the end of the day it may mean nothing but probably more about talent then anything but it would be nice to see them hit at home for a change.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small sample size so far since there have only been 12 home games but the numbers are looking the same as previous years.

At Safeco: (12 games)
Batting Average: .196
On Base: .265
Slugging: .323
Runs per game: 3.08

On the Road (22 games)

At the end of the day it may mean nothing but probably more about talent then anything but it would be nice to see them hit at home for a change.

wishful thinking but I would like to believe that as the temperatures rise so will those numbers. I'm on the east coast, but from the games I could catch it seems to be pretty chilly out there still. there is no history to back this up, but I like to believe that Cano and Hart will help improve those numbers from years past.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving in the fences appeared to help the Mariners a tad last year, but the reality is this team cannot hit at Safeco for whatever reason. Mariners keeping this trend alive tonight with only 2 hits so far tonight through 6 innings.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the m's will prove themselves awful on the road soon enough

it's a fluke that they're 2 games over on the road right now, and even more of a fluke that they're at .500 at home. i read the box score for last night's game and just LOL'd.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the m's will prove themselves awful on the road soon enough

it's a fluke that they're 2 games over on the road right now, and even more of a fluke that they're at .500 at home. i read the box score for last night's game and just LOL'd.[/QUOTE

Isn't it past your bedtime or do your parents let you stay up late on weekends?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think coming into this home stand they were hitting around .270 with RISP. They have come up some key hits at the right time which has obviously help the record be where its at.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think coming into this home stand they were hitting around .270 with RISP. They have come up some key hits at the right time which has obviously help the record be where its at.

and those can't last forever.

people were talking on here about smoak's success with 2 out rbi's. surely everybody understands that's anomalous, right?

the m's might go through stretches of a week or two where their good luck evens out with the bad, like the 2-hit win last night.

the thing to look for is consistent play, and the m's are not showing that at all. they're all over the place, and mostly bad.

the reality is that they're a fundamentally flawed team. one of the worst outfields imaginable, a questionable SS defensively, and a lineup that's in the bottom 5 in MLB in most offensive categories. all the good pitching in the world can't make up for that over 162 games.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and those can't last forever.

people were talking on here about smoak's success with 2 out rbi's. surely everybody understands that's anomalous, right?

the m's might go through stretches of a week or two where their good luck evens out with the bad, like the 2-hit win last night.

the thing to look for is consistent play, and the m's are not showing that at all. they're all over the place, and mostly bad.

the reality is that they're a fundamentally flawed team. one of the worst outfields imaginable, a questionable SS defensively, and a lineup that's in the bottom 5 in MLB in most offensive categories. all the good pitching in the world can't make up for that over 162 games.
I dont disagree with any of that. The offense will be hit or miss all season which explains the roller coaster ride of inconsistency. Still at least two decent bats from contending.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont disagree with any of that. The offense will be hit or miss all season which explains the roller coaster ride of inconsistency. Still at least two decent bats from contending.

oh yeah, i didn't figure you would

agree about 1-2 bats. 1 would have to be an outfielder.

i guess that's a lot better than where the m's were even 2 years ago, so there's that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always love all the excuses on why we can't hit at home yet KC gets 15 or whatever hits? Does the temperature change when the opponent bats? We will never hit at home like we do on the road, but we don't have to. We just have to hit better than our opponents.

Oh, and who hit better at home than on the road last year? Yes, Morales.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I always love all the excuses on why we can't hit at home yet KC gets 15 or whatever hits? Does the temperature change when the opponent bats? We will never hit at home like we do on the road, but we don't have to. We just have to hit better than our opponents.

Oh, and who hit better at home than on the road last year? Yes, Morales.

Well, I think Mauer doesn't have much upside as a pitcher, unfortunately. The PI said that he doesn't really have an out pitch, and based on what I've seen, I agree.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think Mauer doesn't have much upside as a pitcher, unfortunately. The PI said that he doesn't really have an out pitch, and based on what I've seen, I agree.

I am with you on that. Mauer is a 6th starter who can fill in once a month if needed, but I wouldn't start him more than that. I was just thinking about the 'out pitch' this morning and wonder why a guy like him or Ramirez don't go back down and develop another pitch? They both can get two strikes on guys, but can't finish. You would think they would try adding something. Either a new pitch or a new grip, but add something because this isn't working.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you on that. Mauer is a 6th starter who can fill in once a month if needed, but I wouldn't start him more than that. I was just thinking about the 'out pitch' this morning and wonder why a guy like him or Ramirez don't go back down and develop another pitch? They both can get two strikes on guys, but can't finish. You would think they would try adding something. Either a new pitch or a new grip, but add something because this isn't working.

He is a bullpen arm which for some reason the organization dating back to Woody's days refuses to move guys from their starters role into a role they can thrive in. Just because a guy isn't what you put time into doesn't mean you should refuse to put him in a role he can thrive, cough cough Ryan Franklin and Carlos Guillen.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well looks like the bats have warmed up with the Seattle weather. 19 runs the last two games. I doubt that there have been very many times that has happened. Good to see.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the off-season, I was on-board with bringing Morales back and I continued to be on-board with it all the way through Spring Training. Now that it's mid-May and it looks like he's not going to be signing anywhere until at least early June, the idea is becoming less and less appealing. Assuming he does sign here, does anyone really think he's going to come in in mid-season form right out of the gate? I certainly don't expect it. We don't know how much hitting he's been doing on his own or whether he's in-shape or not. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't feel comfortable signing someone for what I can only assume is going to be a pretty good chunk of change when we don't even know whether or when he can be productive for us.

I think we'd be better off making a trade. At least that way we'd know what we're getting, which would theoretically be someone who has been playing since April and who could help right away, as opposed to the uncertainty of signing a guy who will have had at least 8 months between games by the time he signs, for what will probably be an unreasonable amount of cash if Boras has his way. I know that Morales has hit well at Safeco Field historically and that he had a good year for us last year, but all that time off creates too much uncertainty with him for my taste.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that there is a 0% chance that Morales returns. If he was going to return to Seattle, he already would have. After the amateur draft, he becomes significantly more attractive to twenty other teams, and slightly more attractive to the other nine.
I don't think he did himself any favors holding out from signing, but he will sign with someone that is not the Mariners.