• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Wilks Out as 49ers DC

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dialogue around the 49ers is odd to me..... Two weeks ago, I read all sorts of negative stories about Purdy - Mostly saying that he isn't good, he is just a game manager, and they stand no chance with him. Then we have 3 or 4 straight days of Shanahan as the scapegoat for losing the Super Bowl and the dialogue is that he continues to fail in the Super Bowl and he might even need a change of scenery. Now, we'll have 3 or 4 days of hearing about how Steve Wilks isn't a good coordinator.

They had a great year. They got beat by a good team with a generational talent at QB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Baltimore. And Cincinnati. And Cleveland.

With the star power he has on that roster, he grossly underperformed.
Iirc you guys had the 4th ranked defense

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dialogue around the 49ers is odd to me..... Two weeks ago, I read all sorts of negative stories about Purdy - Mostly saying that he isn't good, he is just a game manager, and they stand no chance with him. Then we have 3 or 4 straight days of Shanahan as the scapegoat for losing the Super Bowl and the dialogue is that he continues to fail in the Super Bowl and he might even need a change of scenery. Now, we'll have 3 or 4 days of hearing about how Steve Wilks isn't a good coordinator.

They had a great year. They got beat by a good team with a generational talent at QB.
The media needs something to talk about. Purdy is obviously good and growing. Kyle is a great coach that made bad decisions in the last game.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nuts. You guys really only gave up one TD drive in the SB.
Yea but did you see Detroit and GB? They had their way with our defense. Baltimore, Seattle, Arizona also gave us problems down the stretch

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea but did you see Detroit and GB? They had their way with our defense. Baltimore, Seattle, Arizona also gave us problems down the stretch
GB scored 21? And Detroit has one of the top offenses.

I'd be surprised if the Niners D is notably better next year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that they had some struggles at times this year - I said as much in another post. But the guy was in his first year there, and his work in the super bowl was impressive. Andy Reid is terrific at preparing a team over a two week period, and Wilks defense easily matched them and flustered them a bit. I guess what I'm saying is that Wilks is good and his D would have been better next year.
If this is true, and I suspect it is, Wilks will have no problems getting hired as a DC elsewhere

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true, and I suspect it is, Wilks will have no problems getting hired as a DC elsewhere
all I can see is there must have been some inner turmoil between wilks & someone high up in the organization.

Got to say. This pink slip came as a surprise to me.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's sports though, we create narratives around events that are often pretty random. If the Niners don't muff that punt Shanahan has his ring and is a genius, Wilks has one too and still has a job, and Purdy is the guy who beat the GOAT in the Super Bowl.

If Jimmy G doesn't overthrow Sanders in the last Niners Chiefs SB he's a Super Bowl MVP and who knows how things go then after, do they keep him for many years after? Do they draft Trey Lance? It all hinges on really tiny things.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all I can see is there must have been some inner turmoil between wilks & someone high up in the organization.

Got to say. This pink slip came as a surprise to me.
A poster said they watched Shanahan's press conference about it and it seemed he and Wilks just didn't see eye to eye

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purdy doesn't have the ideal physical traits (size and arm), so people will always question him until he wins a Super Bowl. Shanahan hasn't gotten over the hump, so that will be a hot story in the media as well. I don't think the Steve Wilks firing will get much media attention. It's not a sexy story.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB scored 21? And Detroit has one of the top offenses.

I'd be surprised if the Niners D is notably better next year.
We were much better last year with less talent. If we get Vrabel (one of the names rumored), I would not be surprised if we are better.

It's not even about improving much, it's improving in big situations. Players commented about our blitzes being predictable and they felt unprepared in certain situations. That's on the DC.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't get that all important race draft pick when he signs elsewhere.