• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Kerr appreciation thread.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we look like world beaters under Kerr and the guy is still getting his feet wet I like the staff he's surrounded himself with, pretty easy to see Jackson was the joke many of us thought he was.

Speights and Barnes are both off to good starts are look like legit NBA players now, Bogut has said Search "Steve Kerr's turned around my career " Bogut: 'Steve Kerr's turned around my career' | CSN Bay Area

Pretty amazing stuff, I thought this team had enough talent to make a deep run for the past two seasons it seems now that just might happen. I've never been more excited to be a fan of the Warriors it's a joy to watch them on the court.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we look like world beaters under Kerr and the guy is still getting his feet wet I like the staff he's surrounded himself with, pretty easy to see Jackson was the joke many of us thought he was.

Speights and Barnes are both off to good starts are look like legit NBA players now, Bogut has said Search "Steve Kerr's turned around my career " Bogut: 'Steve Kerr's turned around my career' | CSN Bay Area

Pretty amazing stuff, I thought this team had enough talent to make a deep run for the past two seasons it seems now that just might happen. I've never been more excited to be a fan of the Warriors it's a joy to watch them on the court.

This question is for anyone who cares to comment. What were the problems that y'all found with M. Jackson during the last few years? I wasn't really watching the GS games with a strong level of scrutiny towards the coaching. I did wonder why Jackson kept on releasing assistant coaches towards the end of the year, and that's not a good sign at all for any organization or head coach, in my opinion. I was just having fun watching my favorite player in many years (since L. Bird) play every game and I was watching the team improve each year record-wise under Jackson.

If Jackson was this bad and based on how both stars (Thompson and Curry) are now both better/more experienced than in previous years, plus the major strengthening of the Dubs' bench, this should mean that the Warriors should win at least 60 games this season unless they have the best record sewn up very early on.

Comments? Please don't hold anything back. Since I wasn't a member of this website during the last season, I didn't hear any of the negatives surrounding Jackson.

Oh, one more thing, I'm very happy and impressed that Bogut feels that Kerr has "turned around his career." I've seen in just the last 10 days or so just how valuable Bogut is not only to the team for his defense, but for his contributions to the offense as well. Bogut's nuances in the game can certainly fall into the category of doing "things that don't show up in the boxscore".

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question is for anyone who cares to comment. What were the problems that y'all found with M. Jackson during the last few years? I wasn't really watching the GS games with a strong level of scrutiny towards the coaching. I did wonder why Jackson kept on releasing assistant coaches towards the end of the year, and that's not a good sign at all for any organization or head coach, in my opinion. I was just having fun watching my favorite player in many years (since L. Bird) play every game and I was watching the team improve each year record-wise under Jackson.

If Jackson was this bad and based on how both stars (Thompson and Curry) are now both better/more experienced than in previous years, plus the major strengthening of the Dubs' bench, this should mean that the Warriors should win at least 60 games this season unless they have the best record sewn up very early on.

Comments? Please don't hold anything back. Since I wasn't a member of this website during the last season, I didn't hear any of the negatives surrounding Jackson.

Oh, one more thing, I'm very happy and impressed that Bogut feels that Kerr has "turned around his career." I've seen in just the last 10 days or so just how valuable Bogut is not only to the team for his defense, but for his contributions to the offense as well. Bogut's nuances in the game can certainly fall into the category of doing "things that don't show up in the boxscore".

Re: Bogut, there's no doubt in my mind they beat the Clippers last year in the playoffs if he's healthy. The Spurs probably still not. This year might be a different story.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Here's hoping the honeymoon with Kerr doesn't end anytime soon. Jackson, Smart, and the not-so-golden years of Nellie was a tough patch of coaching.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Bogut, there's no doubt in my mind they beat the Clippers last year in the playoffs if he's healthy. The Spurs probably still not. This year might be a different story.

I definitely agree. Teams begin to straight to the basket when Bogut checks out of the game. It was bad timing when he was injured last year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Here's hoping the honeymoon with Kerr doesn't end anytime soon. Jackson, Smart, and the not-so-golden years of Nellie was a tough patch of coaching.

Genuinely curious, looking at the logos under your screen name...how can one be a Niners and a Seahawks fan? And your name itself: are you a Raiders or Chiefs fan (Rich Gannon) too?

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll give you Jackson in a nutshell, last season during the playoff series he said something along the lines of " I'm not going to lose any sleep game planning for them " around game 6 or 7 that to me was his problem he didn't believe coaching needed much effort. He thought he could just pray and motivate his players to want it more.

In game he was terrible at taking time outs when the Warriors were flat or their opponents were on a run, the ball didn't move well on offense and I think the main reason our defense got better during Jackson's stead was top assistant Mike Malone who instilled a system during Jackson's first two seasons. ( Kings playing fairly well under Malone now )

Kerr might not be the next big name in coaching but I feel even as a rookie coach he's light years ahead of where Jackson was after three seasons.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like this little bit of trolling sees the hook empty.

I have already identified and sung the praises of Kerr's impact on this talented team. That said, it would likely be just as silly to get overly excited during the early days of this new romance as it is to under-appreciate the foundation of the team that Jackson helped to build.

I was a harsh critic of Jackson at times, but he was certainly a big part of the "process" that now sees the Dubs on the verge of something special. Considering that, I'm ready to move on and not trash Coach for his shortcomings (though he and his pal van Gumby should have their vocal chords removed).

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No strategy ever cam out of a timeout it was just jackson preaching from his chair about being a team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No strategy ever cam out of a timeout it was just jackson preaching from his chair about being a team.

That reminds me of LSU's long-time basketball coach Dale Brown. His strategy was to somehow get good players to come to the team and then talk about climbing mountains in order to inspire the team.

I did feel that Jackson was a good motivator, but at some point you have to also know the X's and O's.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Kerr doing differently with Barnes? Marcus Thompson II laid it out beautifully at the Mercury News.

Under Mark Jackson, Barnes was asked to be a scorer. Especially last year, when Barnes was moved to the Sixth Man role after the signing of Andre Iguodala, Barnes’ role was to carry the offense for the second unit. But most of his action was isolations. That just didn’t fit his game.

Before the season began, Kerr sat down with Barnes and went over film with him. Kerr explained where Barnes’ best spots were on the floor, where he should drift, where he should cut and how he wants him to exist in the Warriors’ potent starting lineup. Plus, Kerr started Barnes with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. That opens the floor for Barnes to cut and find creases to offensive rebound….

“It’s hard when you get the ball in an iso situation and you have a set defense in front of you,” Barnes said. “Very few players in the league can do that. You look at the best – Durant, Melo, those guys — look at what percentage they shoot. And that’s the best of the best, so you can imagine where I’m at. I’m like at 15, 20 percent on isos. To get me with the ball moving, getting me in different spots, playing off other people, that’s more of a strength for me right now. Going straight isos, that wasn’t a strength for me.”

How Steve Kerr brought about Harrison Barnes? resurgence, a window into Warriors success | ProBasketballTalk

But there are still many who think Jackson should never have been let go after a 51-win season. Lacob was asked about the firing again and said this to Diamond Leung of the Bay Area News Group.

“Part of it was that he couldn’t get along with anybody else in the organization,” Lacob said. “And look, he did a great job, and I’ll always compliment him in many respects, but you can’t have 200 people in the organization not like you.”

“And (Kerr) did the one big thing that I wanted more than anything else from Mark Jackson he just wouldn’t do, in all honesty, which is hire the very best. Carte blanche. Take my wallet. Do whatever it is to get the best assistants there are in the world. Period. End of story. Don’t want to hear it. And (Jackson’s) answer . . . was, ‘Well, I have the best staff.’ No you don’t. And so with Steve, very, very different.”

Warriors owner says Mark Jackson ?couldn?t get along with anybody else in the organization? | ProBasketballTalk

Kerr putting players in position to succeed already tying the franchise win streak last night really amazing he's hit the ground running so well, he's smart enough to know he needs strong assistants. Unlike Jackson he was the jackass many of us thought everyone in the organisation had issues with him.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Curry called Steve Kerr "the right man for the job."

Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr: The right man for the job | FOX Sports

Team has looked a bit off with Lee's return and Bogut being out, still sporting the best NBA record though and should be tougher whenever Bogut and Lee are both healthy helping in the middle.

Kerr now has Curry in his corner, Steph did a lot of whining about Jackson being let go so I think it bodes well that he now sees Kerr as the right guy to lead the club.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Curry called Steve Kerr "the right man for the job."

Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr: The right man for the job | FOX Sports

Team has looked a bit off with Lee's return and Bogut being out, still sporting the best NBA record though and should be tougher whenever Bogut and Lee are both healthy helping in the middle.

Kerr now has Curry in his corner, Steph did a lot of whining about Jackson being let go so I think it bodes well that he now sees Kerr as the right guy to lead the club
I predicted right here at the time of Jackson's firing that after an initial dose of the blues for losing their beloved coach, the players, especially Curry, would professionally embrace the opportunity to work with their new leader. It didn't take a tremendous amount of insight or clairvoyance to come up with that.

The mule is dead, so quit kicking it. Let it go, and enjoy the season.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerr seems comfortable. If Bogut can be healthy post season and David Lee gets back to his old form - minus a few minutes, I think they will be the team to beat. Maybe an upgrade at backup PG.

My top 4 btw: GSW, OKC, Dallas, Memphis. Houston could make a run and of course there's always SA.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mule is dead, so quit kicking it. Let it go, and enjoy the season.

It's a forum to talk sports so that's what I do, it's a subject I took a strong stance on not going to back off being proven right at this point.

Kerr in his first half a season light years beyond Jackson who couldn't even land the Kings job. Those that wanted Jackson to stay are awfully quite about this subject they know who they are.

JustOneDennisBergkamp

Gunner for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a forum to talk sports so that's what I do, it's a subject I took a strong stance on not going to back off being proven right at this point.

Kerr in his first half a season light years beyond Jackson who couldn't even land the Kings job. Those that wanted Jackson to stay are awfully quite about this subject they know who they are.
Yes, we understand the purpose of your trolling here, but the mule is not only dead, it's buried. As I said, I was a harsh critic of Jackson at times, but to deny that he has had a part in developing this now top tier team would be a case of revisionist history.

As for your first sentence, I fully support your First Amendment right to expression here. Allow me to express myself as well - you lack perspective, and you're acting more than a bit petty.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump for Kerr's Warriors breaking the home winning steak and sweeping the Rockets.