• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers wr hines ward will retire

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Report: Hines Ward will retire | ProFootballTalk

With the Steelers facing the start of the long offseason, decisions will start being made about the future of the roster.

One player to watch on that front is Hines Ward. Ward turns 36 in March and after seeing his role cut dramatically in his 14th NFL season, there’s been some talk that he might be ready to call it a career. Ward, who has two years left on his contract, said last month that he hasn’t been thinking about retiring, but a report from Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com on Monday sings a different tune.

Freeman reports that he got a text from a Steelers player after the 29-23 overtime loss to the Broncos saying that the “expectations around the team” are that Ward will not return for another season. The player isn’t Ward so there’s obviously a pretty big grain of salt in the mix, but the 2011 season didn’t provide much evidence of a bright future for Ward.

Whatever future he has might not be in Pittsburgh. With a strong receiving corps in place and a need to get younger before next season, the Steelers might not have a place for Ward on their roster. Cutting ties with a player who has 1,000 career catches and two Super Bowl rings as a Steeler wouldn’t be all that easy, but similar moves have been made before and the Steelers haven’t shown an aversion to making tough decisions like that in the past.

If this is the end for Ward, you can bet there will be a spirited debate about his Hall of Fame credentials in a few years. It will be the rare case when a wide receiver’s blocking ability plays a major role in the discussion.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
kudo's on a long and solid career, but he should retire. he looked overweight and slow in the few plays he was in.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good riddance, one of the dirtiest players in the league.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hands down the dirtiest WR to ever play the game.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hines ward wasn't dirty he played the game like it should be played with toughness and he was one of the best blocking wr in the history of the NFL

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some of Hines Ward’s teammates expect that the veteran receiver will retire. Ward and some reporters around Ward feel differently.

Rich Walsh of Channel 11 in Pittsburgh reports Ward wants to continue playing.

Jim Wexell of Scout.com believes that defensive linemen Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke will retire, but Ward and linebacker James Farrior will continue playing.

Of course, there’s no guarantee the Steelers will bring Ward back if he tries to play again. Ward would likely have to take a reduction in salary and may not be guaranteed to make the team out of training camp in 2012 if he wanted to return

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think he is upset about the lost and after a few weeks of chilling with the wife he will change his mind in play in 2012-2013 season

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good riddance, one of the dirtiest players in the league.

hands down the dirtiest WR to ever play the game.

Hines ward wasn't dirty he played the game like it should be played with toughness and he was one of the best blocking wr in the history of the NFL

Maybe this is because I'm not cut out for the NFL (shocking, I know) but I didn't like the intimidation quotes I heard about Ward. I don't blame him, he did what he should do. I didn't mind the hits and if someone got injured, even if that was his goal, it was just part of the game. I just didn't like the taunting like quotes saying he'd do it again and all that. It's like if you're going to cheat on your girlfriend at least try to hide it and when caught admit to it and leave. Ward, and I can't remember what he said, was like yeah, I cheated on you and I'd do it again. I might be off base or remembering it wrong, so I apologize if I did, I just remember thinking, yeah he should say that to intimidate the other team, but I don't like it. Yeah, I see no NFL career for me in the future. In real life, I'm no pussy if it's important to me (as in I would probably lose but I'd go down fighting), but as far as competitive sports, touche. I'm not afraid of bad hits so much I would go into baseball, but maybe basketball where there's potential for big hits but not so built into the game. Hockey or soccer? Forget about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So the fact that NFL players voted him the dirtiest player means nothing right?

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hines Ward, "The toughest player in the league when you're not looking."
That was a title giving to him by multiple NFL players a couple years back, and it rings true.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next to Jerry Rice my favorite receiver of all time. Not a wuss , not a diva, hard nosed player who gave everything he had. Came through in the clutch with catches and blocks. I mean intimidation is part of the game. All good players intimidate players in one way or another.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Next to Jerry Rice my favorite receiver of all time. Not a wuss , not a diva, hard nosed player who gave everything he had. Came through in the clutch with catches and blocks. I mean intimidation is part of the game. All good players intimidate players in one way or another.

I like a receiver who doles out punishment instead of taking it all the time.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like a receiver who doles out punishment instead of taking it all the time.

I agree
Ward was a not a Diva receiver
Ward was a football player and damn tough one at that. He was the perfect receiver for the Steelers.