• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Steelers vs Chargers Game Thread

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I'm still unhappy with Haley's play-calling.

After the game, the announcers were praising his gutsy call...but I thought it was stupid.

No, I'm not suggesting that our boys shouldn't have gone for the win. Neither am I saying that a running play was the wrong choice. But that wildcat seemed like a bad idea, for two reasons:

1) As soon as they lined up, everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball. And...

2) With the ball on the ONE-FOOT line, why put it in Bell's hands five yards back? Granted, he made several very good runs last night, but he also got nailed behind the line more than once. It just seemed foolish to me, with five seconds left on the clock. With fifteen, you could run that play, and still use the last timeout to go for three pts if it didn't work.

...And gang, it almost DIDN'T work. They nearly stopped him...it was only because of a great second effort that Bell was able to score.

Sorry for the sour grapes. A win is a win, and I'm glad we got one.
I agree with all your sentiment... But I think the announcers were wrong to praise Haley in that moment. Tomlin deserved the credit. I would bet my retirement plan that in that moment Tomlin turned to Haley and said: "If you don't give the ball to Le'Veon you're going to take the bus home"... Or something like that lol. We can at least guarantee that it was Tomlin's call to go for it with 5sec left.

The wildcat call was pretty silly. Everything you stated is the reason why.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I knew you would be around to direct my foot into my mouth... Thanks! Well there's no way to be absolutely certain, but I do think Bruce would have put together 2-3 better quarters of play. As for the 4th quarter drive... Probably not.

The more I think about it though, the more I believe that Haley is holding this offense back. Sure Vick may have been erratic with his throws, but the playcalling was far too conservative for the 2nd straight week. If Vick operates better from the no-huddle like he did in the 4th quarter, then by all means he should take advantage. Take Haley out of the equation. Haley doesn't mind... He's been riding Ben's coattails for 2 seasons now.
vickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk