• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steele projects AP 2014 top 25

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Auburn won quite a few close games last season. Those were the type of games where one or two plays determined the outcome. They went 5-1 in games decided by a TD and conversion or less (one was an 8 point win). There is likely to be some regression in those types of games.

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Georgia ranked so high? New qb, new dc, key players suspended, no Harvey-Clemons, and a ton of questions regarding the secondary. Georgia could easily start the season 1-3

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn won quite a few close games last season. Those were the type of games where one or two plays determined the outcome. They went 5-1 in games decided by a TD and conversion or less (one was an 8 point win). There is likely to be some regression in those types of games.

Why would you think that? Now that they've been through that those guys are likely to be better in close game situations.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Georgia ranked so high? New qb, new dc, key players suspended, no Harvey-Clemons, and a ton of questions regarding the secondary. Georgia could easily start the season 1-3
See my post above.

As for suspended players, they are all back by USC. USC also lost their veteran QB, and the bulk of their defensive line, so that game is a toss up at best. Clemson had a lot more turnover than the Dawgs, and they have to come to Athens. UT is at also at home, and they don't have much in the cupboard (although they always play us tough). 1-3 would mean we lose to Clemson and Tennessee at home. That isn't happening.

We actually have an embarrassingly feeble schedule this year. USCe away, Missouri away, Auburn at home, and UF in Jax are our toughest games. We totally miss Bama, LSU, and TAMU. We get the Nerds in Athens. Only 4 away games.

I could see 10-15 ranking as deserving, to the extent that any pre-season ranking is deserving (which it isn't).

What teams do you see behind them that should be higher ranked, and why?

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it's safe to assume that Louisville squeaks in - mostly due to having an unproven QB, along with our new boy status in the ACC. That's fine.

Life without Teddy now begins, but remember - Petrino has a fleet of veteran receivers & backs at his disposal, with a veteran O line.

Switching to a 3-4 defensively with (IMO) only our secondary having the greatest question marks. But here again, we have people.

I did see Harvey-Clemons mentioned (thanks Law Dawg) - as we will receive his services next season.

Don't fall asleep on Louisville folks.

Your Brother in Football

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it's safe to assume that Louisville squeaks in - mostly due to having an unproven QB, along with our new boy status in the ACC. That's fine.

Life without Teddy now begins, but remember - Petrino has a fleet of veteran receivers & backs at his disposal, with a veteran O line.

Switching to a 3-4 defensively with (IMO) only our secondary having the greatest question marks. But here again, we have people.

I did see Harvey-Clemons mentioned (thanks Law Dawg) - as we will receive his services next season.

Don't fall asleep on Louisville folks.

Your Brother in Football

I could see them surprise. I do think the defense slips, but they finished #1 last yr. Petrino is an offensive genius. I would not bet against his ability to produce an offense that will rank near the top of the ACC. His hire will probably be a boost for this year. 2-3 yrs down the road is here the questions may start to surface.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why would you think that? Now that they've been through that those guys are likely to be better in close game situations.

Basically being good in close situations isn't a skill. Good coaching/game management can help some but close games are essentially a coin flip. Auburn flipped heads a lot last season. That over the course of a few seasons that evens out. Take Stanford the last two years, they were really good in close games two years ago. Not as good last year. Another example of this is baseball. Teams that win a lot of one run games one year almost always have bad records in them the next year and vice versa. Obviously, a good bullpen helps in those one run games but regression almost always occurs.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is it time for football yet? Shit, I cant wait already.

SC8806

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See my post above.

As for suspended players, they are all back by USC. USC also lost their veteran QB, and the bulk of their defensive line, so that game is a toss up at best. Clemson had a lot more turnover than the Dawgs, and they have to come to Athens. UT is at also at home, and they don't have much in the cupboard (although they always play us tough). 1-3 would mean we lose to Clemson and Tennessee at home. That isn't happening.

We actually have an embarrassingly feeble schedule this year. USCe away, Missouri away, Auburn at home, and UF in Jax are our toughest games. We totally miss Bama, LSU, and TAMU. We get the Nerds in Athens. Only 4 away games.

I could see 10-15 ranking as deserving, to the extent that any pre-season ranking is deserving (which it isn't).

What teams do you see behind them that should be higher ranked, and why?

You do realize SC also has a 5th year QB who has more experience than the UGA QB. Pretty sure the SC game will be Masons first game as a starter in a hostile environment. While we did lose 3 of our 4 Dlinemen we return the back 7 and have guys with experience at every spot on the dline similar to you saying you have guys who can replace those 3 OL. Diff this year is gurley won't be facing linebackers who are making there 2nd career starts at the position. Our LB's grew a lot mentally from a full year of play. I think SC is about right in the rankings.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate seeing Michigan State at #8. Would much rather them be at #18 so they could have a chip on their shoulder, but don't have to worry about get screwed over because we start the season ranked too low.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really good DC, though.

That said, the SEC slid a bit last year (hard not to after the dominance in recent history) and this year they'll have quite a few teams replacing really solid QBs.

It'll be very interesting seeing LSU and Wisconsin. UW returns a ton on offense, but has a lot to prove defensively.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate seeing Michigan State at #8. Would much rather them be at #18 so they could have a chip on their shoulder, but don't have to worry about get screwed over because we start the season ranked too low.

Don't worry you will be around 18 after 9/6 :whistle:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry you will be around 18 after 9/6 :whistle:

You highly over estimate what the writers think of Michigan State. We lose on 9/6, we will be closer to 38 than #18. For the first time in BCS history the #2 team loses in the title game and does not drop one spot. That is how much people think of Michigan State.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You highly over estimate what the writers think of Michigan State. We lose on 9/6, we will be closer to 38 than #18. For the first time in BCS history the #2 team loses in the title game and does not drop one spot. That is how much people think of Michigan State.

ya, well It is the opposite for Oregon. You lose to the ESPN west coast media darling Ducks you may just go up in the rankings.

:lol:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya, well It is the opposite for Oregon. You lose to the ESPN west coast media darling Ducks you may just go up in the rankings.

:lol:

Despite the giant A on your avy, I can't help but think Prefontaine.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a take that as a compliment of the highest order. The greatest Duck that ever was.

All cross country runners should know about Prefontaine. We watched Without Limits my senior year of high school before regionals.