• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steele projects AP 2014 top 25

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't like my reasoning and I am legitimately not trying to troll. To simply put it, I need to see that last year wasn't a fluke. Alabama has consistently proven year in and out to be a contender while Auburn hasn't done so recently. After Cam left Auby fell to the wayside a bit, and did have a great season last year. One season doesn't make a program a yearly contender.

This^^^^

And now Auburn has to meet expectations....something they didn't have to worry about last year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
22. Washington Huskies

The Huskies finally broke through last year with a nine-win season and their first top 25 finish since 2001. Steve Sarkisian is off to USC but many feel they may have gotten an upgrade with the hire of Chris Petersen from Boise State, who welcomes back 12 starters. While they do lose quarterback Keith Price and running back Bishop Sankey, their replacements are solid. The schedule is favorable as most of the other Pac-12 contenders in Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA and Oregon State all have to travel to Seattle and the Huskies could be favored in as many as ten games this year.

While I appreciate the love and Petersen was a home run hire, I'm not feeling that call about favored in all those games. We're breaking in an entire new coaching crew, new QB, Sankey is off to the NFL, and Sark left us with big holes all over our defensive backfield for 2014.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My feelings exactly. They are losing their best offensive weapon along with their best offensive linemen. Reinforcing my statement that we need another year to prove they are for real.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feelings exactly. They are losing their best offensive weapon along with their best offensive linemen. Reinforcing my statement that we need another year to prove they are for real.

I think they will be quite good and have a justified ranking prediction from Steele.

I just can't see "best offense in CFB" especially as a Ducks fan.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why??? We will have the best offense in college football and our defense will only be better.
I'd much rather Auburn be ahead of Alabama in the polls. They don't mean much this early and Alabama seems to play better when we aren't favored.

But best offense in college football?

593.gif

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup. it is fun to have for a debate. But in reality that is about it.

All these teams play 12 football games against other teams that want to beat you.

No reason for anyone to be upset over Phil Steele's projection of what he believes the AP will look like in April.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't like my reasoning and I am legitimately not trying to troll. To simply put it, I need to see that last year wasn't a fluke. Alabama has consistently proven year in and out to be a contender while Auburn hasn't done so recently. After Cam left Auby fell to the wayside a bit, and did have a great season last year. One season doesn't make a program a yearly contender.
-
But this is a bit of a poor reasoning. Bama has been very consistent and in Saban we trust. That works until it doesnt work. FSU, Texas, USC, Nebraska, Tenn, and Miami all were once in that camp. At this time I agree that looking at the returning starters Auburn should be better. New QB and a gutted defense for Bama. Doesnt mean Nick wont put the puzzle pieces together, but Bama is getting a bump based on faith right now.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather Auburn be ahead of Alabama in the polls. They don't mean much this early and Alabama seems to play better when we aren't favored.

But best offense in college football?

593.gif

not sure why that would be funny. Auburn had one of the best offenses in the country last yr. They should vie for the best offense this year. It would be a shock if they were not a great offense. Question is how much will a bad Auburn defense improve.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares? It's a preseason ranking, and last time I checked all what really matters is what the selection committee thinks after conference championship week. With that said though, ranking Alabama ahead of Auburn and Oregon ahead of Stanford is quite silly.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares? It's a preseason ranking, and last time I checked all what really matters is what the selection committee thinks after conference championship week. With that said though, ranking Alabama ahead of Auburn and Oregon ahead of Stanford is quite silly.

I'm okay with Bama and Auburn's preseason rankings. They look right to me.

While they have developed into an elite program, #3 is probably too high for Oregon heading into this season. They lost some players and Helfrich still needs to prove himself as a leader and head coach. Losing their DC Nick Aliotti who was there forever will be felt and it doesn't help that their best WR Bralon Addison just blew his knee out.

And although it would be their worst finish in the polls in five years, 12th is about right for Stanford to me. Outside of Ty Montgomery and Kevin Hogan they lost a ton, especially on the defensive side of the ball where basically every star player from last year is gone.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason rankings are bullshit.

As for Aggy...If you were paying attention, the "only player that made them relevant and the best WR in the country" weren't much of a factor the second half of the season last year. JFF was good but the QB's in waiting have the potential to be better. With Speedy Noil and RSJ playing WR next season everyone will be saying Mike Who? O-line is plenty deep which is one area that Sleepy Sherm did leave stocked up. Plus, Sumlin not living off of Sherman's recruits is a good thing. Switching OC and adding some coaching talent on the D-side will help. And that horrible defense that was full of freshmen will have had a full year in the system and a full offseason in the weight room and a top ten class packed full of DL and LB talent including the best HS DE in the country. They will be better - Maybe not top 10 this year but Sumlin is doing a good job and I hope Strong does too because when all the butt-hurt wears off and the rivalry starts back up it will be bad ass.

You forgot to mention a STACKED backfield......I think aggy might have the best collection of RBs in the country.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure why that would be funny. Auburn had one of the best offenses in the country last yr. They should vie for the best offense this year. It would be a shock if they were not a great offense. Question is how much will a bad Auburn defense improve.

He didn't say one of the best, he said "the best in college football".

They were #7 in total offense last year.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 SEC teams in the top 25?
Sounds about right to me :nod:

UGA and SCAR are waaaay too high, IMO.

You might move the Dawgs to 15, but they are going to be a solid team this year. If we were starting a Frosh QB, then I might be with you. But we are starting a 5th year senior who could have played at a lot of other schools the past few years, but waited for his time. It helps he got 3 games in because of Murray's injuries. On O, we got some great skill players back from injury, with arguably the best RB in the nation. We lost 3 on the OLine, but 7 played regularly last year, so the experience is there.

D is a little more in the air, but we return pretty much everyone and have a pretty good new DC. With an easier scheme, I think we will see a much improved D.

Compared to everyone else, that says top 15 to me.