• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Rotation Next Year

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to actually have good young pitchers you can pencil into the rotation. Now we just need an ace.

(Ace)
Chen
Tillman
Norris
Gonzalez

With Gausman, Britton, and Bundy waiting for spots. Its too bad Arrieta could never figure it out with us but I'm not sold that he's turned a corner because of 2 starts.

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't afford an Ace, but we don't really need one. If we had a solid starter in the 5th spot for the entire year plus depth from the minors, we'd be in 1st place.

Teams that are serious about contending don't usually go into camp not knowing who their 5th starter was going to be. Dan Duquette made a mistake with the 5th starter spot and it's costing us the playoffs so far.
He could've been more creative and acquired Bruce Chen or Francisco Liriano. Arrieta and Britton failed miserably with us again.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if they would bring back Feldman for cheap as an extra until Gausman is fully ready. Maybe a one year deal, I think he's pretty reliable. Britton may get it together but I think he still may be the odd man out and could be a valuable trade chip next year at worst.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if they would bring back Feldman for cheap as an extra until Gausman is fully ready. Maybe a one year deal, I think he's pretty reliable. Britton may get it together but I think he still may be the odd man out and could be a valuable trade chip next year at worst.
feldman and hammel is steve trashall some good games but will lose more than wins .
the o's will have drake , wright , britton , gausman and at some point bundy . they will have berry and ed rod at aa . wilson may also get a shot ! so no we want spend alot of money on pitching .

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But none of those guys are going to be aces aside from Bundy if he comes back to what he was. We need that 1 guy you throw in a must win game. Especially if we compete for that wild card spot every year. Chen is good but he's a .500 pitcher. Tillman's never pitched in the postseason. Gonzalez isn't that guy and Norris is the same. We need a Cliff Lee, Verlander, etc.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But none of those guys are going to be aces aside from Bundy if he comes back to what he was. We need that 1 guy you throw in a must win game. Especially if we compete for that wild card spot every year. Chen is good but he's a .500 pitcher. Tillman's never pitched in the postseason. Gonzalez isn't that guy and Norris is the same. We need a Cliff Lee, Verlander, etc.

To be fair, even having an ace on the team doesn't guarantee success-- for an example, consider the 2011 Phillies with their "four aces" (read: you still need offense). Even Verlander has underperformed somewhat in 2013 by his standards. I could be wrong, but the impression I'm getting is that pitchers seem to exhibit more fluctuation in their performance from year to year. Instead of overpaying for an ace, I think it would be safer to fill the rotation with #2/#3 types as a cost-effective means to spread out the risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have always been of the opinion that if you can roll out 3 or 4 number 2 or 3 type pitchers you can be a very successful team.

Consider that when teams sign an ACE in free agency they alot of times under perform. only a few pitchers are the exception. plus they cost alot of money, and can really hurt your team if they do not perform to standards.

i think Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, and Norris are excellent starts to a rotation.we can bring in someone on a one or two year deal to compete with our minor leage pitchers for a spot in the rotation. i would actually prefer a guy with an ERA aroun 4 something but pitchs 7 or 8 innings a game as a rule so that every fifth day our BP gets a rest. then you plug him in as our number 4 starter.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have always been of the opinion that if you can roll out 3 or 4 number 2 or 3 type pitchers you can be a very successful team.

Consider that when teams sign an ACE in free agency they alot of times under perform. only a few pitchers are the exception. plus they cost alot of money, and can really hurt your team if they do not perform to standards.

i think Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, and Norris are excellent starts to a rotation.we can bring in someone on a one or two year deal to compete with our minor leage pitchers for a spot in the rotation. i would actually prefer a guy with an ERA aroun 4 something but pitchs 7 or 8 innings a game as a rule so that every fifth day our BP gets a rest. then you plug him in as our number 4 starter.

I agree...the thing this team needs is more consistency, baseball intelligence, and a desire to do whatever it takes to win...they r too complacent and seem content with losing. they seem to have lost the fire and ability to bounce back...

In my personal opinion they need to get a meanstreak...not asshole mean...but a mean streak

they need a different approach in the box...i dont know what buck preaches or pressely preaches...but it was a noticeably different approach yesterday against price than I have seen AT ALL this year...

PATIENCE - JUST LIKE FOR DEFENSE...we are quite possibly the best defensive team ive ever seen and we do it as if we are letting the play come to us...we're not forcing anything...They need that same approach in the box...they were patient last night to get men on base, but when they got in scoring position they resorted back to their normal ways

Last edited by a moderator:

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider that when teams sign an ACE in free agency they alot of times under perform. only a few pitchers are the exception. plus they cost a lot of money, and can really hurt your team if they do not perform to standards.

I think this is true for free agency signings in general-- overpaying is almost inevitable for "top players." It seems to me that signing second-tier players (i.e. those who are above average but not superstars) is often the best strategy, as they tend to provide an acceptable level of performance most of the time while still being affordable.