• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Defense

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this game the more I can see the defense being a major factor this week. Let's give a few concessions and say the Chiefs defense us successful against the Broncos offense. Keep in mind the Broncos lowest outputs on the scoreboard are 33 and 28 points. The latter the Chiefs have reached only twice and the former they haven't reached at all.

So let's say the Chiefs hold the Broncos to a season low point total of 24. Let's even say they score a defensive score. Is unreasonable to believe that 24 points will be enough to win this game? And for what it's worth, I don't believe for a second the Broncos will struggle to score. But even if they have to settle for FGs a few times, or even punts, I can see our defense being the X factor in this game.

Smith can scramble, but the Broncos did a good job containing Pryor and Vick earlier this year. Our corners should be able to cover their receivers. And the run defense should be able to slow down Charles on run plays. My biggest concern is Charles catching passes out of the back field, but considering Charles has been the Chiefs offense this year I know he'll be accounted for on every play and am confident guys like Woody and Trevathan are up to the Challenge.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this stat the other day iknowftbll and find it very fitting for what you just talked about...

Over the last 3 games for both teams (the time that Von Miller has now been back) this is how they have performed.

KC has played Keenum, Tuel, and Campbell
1104 yards given up...368 a game
52 first downs
6 sacks
5 turnovers

Denver has played RGIII, Luck, and Rivers
929 yards...309 per game
50 first downs
9 sacks
6 turnovers

So to me that is the impact that Von Miller makes for this defense. His return has helped this defense average 100 yards less per game on our season average. This is why when people keep talking about how our defense is trash need to really stop being idiotic and look at this team now with all of our starters actually playing compared to that of when we had about half the starting defense being back up players.

Now I will say the Chiefs still have us in points per game in those 3 but I think a big part of that is our offense has put our defense in some bad position with some very untimely turnovers.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good comparison, CD. And while you are right about the PPG comparison, the disparity is actually not as bad as it looks on it's surface. Against two QBs making their first career starts and a journeyman making his first start since 2011, the Chiefs allowed 46 points.

Against two of the more sensational young QBs and the statistically second best QB of the season the Broncos allowed 80 points. But half of those, literally half of those came off of turnovers: 19 against the Colts, 14 against the Redskins, and 7 against the Chargers. Now turnovers are a part of the game and you can't take them off the stat sheet once they happen. But the take away is this: the defense has been pretty impressive when not put in a bad spot by the offense. If this offense gets turnover thing under control it's curtains for everyone unlucky enough to still be on the Broncos schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this stat the other day iknowftbll and find it very fitting for what you just talked about...

Over the last 3 games for both teams (the time that Von Miller has now been back) this is how they have performed.

KC has played Keenum, Tuel, and Campbell
1104 yards given up...368 a game
52 first downs
6 sacks
5 turnovers

Denver has played RGIII, Luck, and Rivers
929 yards...309 per game
50 first downs
9 sacks
6 turnovers

So to me that is the impact that Von Miller makes for this defense. His return has helped this defense average 100 yards less per game on our season average. This is why when people keep talking about how our defense is trash need to really stop being idiotic and look at this team now with all of our starters actually playing compared to that of when we had about half the starting defense being back up players.

Now I will say the Chiefs still have us in points per game in those 3 but I think a big part of that is our offense has put our defense in some bad position with some very untimely turnovers.

:10: Great post.

People who call our defense trash, simply have zero idea what they are talking about.....or they are one of those people who are so bias that they can't bring themselves to speak the truth.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10: Great post.

People who call our defense trash, simply have zero idea what they are talking about.....or they are one of those people who are so bias that they can't bring themselves to speak the truth.

Nawww..... They simply are people who are unable to comprehend the NFL season is dynamic. They see a team struggling on defense the first few games, and, well that means they suck the whole season (and the season after that.) They just don't understand (until they are shown, hit by a 2x4, etc.) that a team's strengths and weaknesses can change as time goes on.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nawww..... They simply are people who are unable to comprehend the NFL season is dynamic. They see a team struggling on defense the first few games, and, well that means they suck the whole season (and the season after that.) They just don't understand (until they are shown, hit by a 2x4, etc.) that a team's strengths and weaknesses can change as time goes on.

That is pretty much what I meant by "unable to speak the truth"....

Their bias gets in the way of comprehension.